FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nahmakanta Lake camps
PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 1:03 pm 
FFIMer

Just planned a trip there in June for the first time! Anyone been? Love to get some inside scoop for some of the fishing ! Please P.M. me! Did a search and found some great info. on some fishing reports here! Looking for more advice, only going to be there for a couple of days! Want to use our time wisely and get my son into some fish! Thanks

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 5:05 pm 

You'll love Nahmakanta if you like hiking and fishing ponds. Most of what I know about the fishing up there came from Don Hibbs, the owner, who is very good about sharing information with his guests, and somewhat sensitive about how widely it gets shared. He's got canoes on all the surrounding ponds and generally has the fishing pretty well dialed in. There are a couple of ponds with stocked trout that offer real opportunities for trophy trout, and MANY ponds with good numbers of wild trout. There is generally a trade-off between fish numbers and fish size. Let Don know what you are looking for, and take his advice.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 9:22 pm 
FFIMer

Super, thanks for info. We will take Don's advise for sure! Never been there! Only up there a couple of days! Love to find some fish!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Agree with Jeff. Don will give good information. It's a really nice area you will have fun.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 6:15 pm 
FFIMer

Haven’t been in a long time, but, assuming things haven’t changed much, a great base for hike out brook trout ponds! Don and Angel run a tight ship. June should be prime. The lake itself was rapidly turning from a nice LL salmon fishery to togue. Bear and Gould were my favorites.