FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 19th, 2018, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:18 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Would love to hear where people are planning to travel to fish this year. Me? Headed to Abaco Island in April to do some bone fishing and hang out on the beach. Still tying up some bonefish patterns and really looking forward to that trip. I have a wedding in Milwaukee in the late summer so going to bring my rod and do some pike and walleye fishing at my in-laws cabin. They call Camps, cabins out that way.

After that if all the cards fall into place then I’m hoping to make another trip out west at the end of September. Can’t get my mind off of Second Meadow or those big Madison browns.

In between I have two trips to Asia, two or three trips to Europe and a bunch of US work travel so hopefully all my personal tickets will come via miles and not an outlay of cash!

Ken

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:47 am 
FFIMer

I will be going to my summer home which is, in reality, the back porch of my winter home.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:58 am 
FFIM Addict

Edited to add, hopefully a trip to Labrador.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Last edited by 1weight on January 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 11:33 am 
FFIM Addict

Headed to Livingston for two days of fishing on DePuy’s Spring Creek......then off to Craig/Dearborn for the Missouri for a week....then off to Ft. Smith for a week on the Bighorn. Seventeen days in Montana is about as close to trout fishing heaven as one can get in this life.

Before that ten days on my favorite Downeast LL Salmon stream here.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 11:55 am 
FFIM Addict

Going back to the Green River in Utah in late July. Mile for mile probably more fish and big fish than any western river.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:47 pm 
FFIMer

‘In the trees’ and I are floating the Goodnews, 20-31 August. If count right, this will be my 10th Bistol Bay adventure, and, as long as I’m alive, many more to come. Char, Rainbow, Grayling and prime Coho time. In Maine, Rangeley and BSP ponds!

Have fun everyone!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 7:06 pm 

BSP late May/June, as always. Have a western Maine lake (way north of Rangeley) I have been promising to visit for years, that this year I will do it for 2-3 nights.

Will be planning another September Yellowstone trip if my wife's schedule allows. (I've kept mine clear.)

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 5:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

HOME!

And I am going to fish all of the rivers, who's names we aren't supposed to write on this site.... and I'm going to do it a lot!

I've had some great adventures, some of them fishing in Europe, and many with the family, not fishing related.... but it'll be good to be home! :)

See you all out there (In between your exotic adventures :))

TGIF

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 8:37 pm 
FFIMer

Joppa Flats for a week in June followed by a long weekend in Jackman. Then Eustis in early July and Pittsburg, NH in late September.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 12:35 am 
FFIMer

The Madison..... stretch of the Kennebec.( mostly) At this point it looks like Maine waters for most of the spring and summer. I am headed to Myrtle Beach in April vacation week and plan on fishing Huntington Beach State Park near Murrell's inlet. there are plenty of smaller bluefish and some reds that like to hang near the breakwater.
From May through August between the Browns, rainbows Salmon, Brookies , Shad, Stripers, hordes of smallmouth etc. that inhabit all the rivers and streams and lakes and ponds around here, its tough to peel myself away from Maine. I havent been to the WB in a few years and I think that at this point the kiddos may be old enough for me to steal away for that one.
The one other "safari " trip for me outside the state of Maine anytime soon would most likely be Long island sound to visit a buddy of mine and fish for stripers and bluefish for a day. Those big blues are a blast on a 9 weight. I have all the connections ( family in Alaska, friends on Long island sound, family on the Jersey beaches, places to stay on the gulf coast, friends that fish the great lakes tribs, etc. etc. ) maybe in the Future!! when things are a little less crazy.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 9:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

Bozeman, for a week in March. Life is good when your son has a drift boat and wants to row his old man around....

Otherwise, lots of West Branch time and lots of striper fishing due to my change of domicile to southern Maine.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 10:08 am 
FFIMer

I don't think I'll be leaving ME this year, except for maybe a summer trip to some NH mountain streams. I usually take the last week of September off and go to Rangeley, but the weather has been off the last few years so I'm thinking I'll push my vacation to mid October and go to GLS for the first time. I keep saying I'm going to go to NY to the Salmon River in March one year, but I don't think I've got the time to this year.... And I'm (trying) to save money for a MT trip next year.

Peter

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 10:03 am 
FFIMer

Abaco Bahamas for a couple weeks in April for DIY bonefishing and a guide in the Marls. Home here in Rangeley all spring, summer and fall, with some southern Maine bass ponds sprinkled in here and there. A possibility of a swing through Montana has been floated by my daughter in Utah if I fly out to help her with the drive for a move back to Maine, this in July perhaps. She's pretty handy with a fly rod. It's all good and I hope for the continued blessing of good health to enjoy the fruits of retirement.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2018, 12:24 pm 
FFIMer

Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grand, and areas around Pine Island.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2018, 5:01 pm 
FFIMer

Only thing PLANNED so far is a week on the Big Horn in May. Thinking I'll need to get back down to the Conejos in June for the Green Drake hatch. Been about 3-4 years now since we've been. Definitely need to take my raft over to the Gunnison this year. Would love to take my wife to fish Grey Reef on the N. Platte. She'd like it. And this might be the year I actually hike in to some mountain lakes for the lunker Cutts around here. So much water............ :lol: Or, this may be a more cycling focused year. My wife is in training to do a monster mtb ride in early fall; the White Rim in a Day. 100 mi White Rim trail in Canyonlands NP, UT. :shock: She informed me I WILL be doing the Santa Fe Century with her in May as training, and good chance we'll do Ride the Rockies in June. Choices, choices.

Last edited by Baetis on February 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.