FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 14th, 2018, 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 1:25 pm 
FFIMer

Jackman & Moosehead region fly fishing rivers and ponds . Also , three or four days at Nahmakanta lake camps. Lots of trips with boat to fly fish for stripers in Saco,Scarboro,Penobscout rivers! All signs point to a good year for Striper fishing

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 6:31 pm 
FFIMer

With two kids under the age of two, I'm just hoping to go fishing anywhere. Last year I got one day on the Kennebago and one day on the Magalloway. If I double that this year, it'll be a win.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 7:06 pm 
FFIMer

Big changes in my schedule been working nights Sunday through Thursday for the last 15 years.
No More...
You can bet I will be using my Drift boat and pontoon a lot more and I can see a lot more time on the water for me. 8)

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 9:19 pm 
FFIMer

Harper's Ferry / Upper Potomac in April, GLS and Lake X in early June, the Matane in late July, and with a little cooperation from Mother Nature, the Catt in November. In between, it's the local haunts - northern Casco Bay and the Androscoggin and Kennebec drainages from source to sea.

Only one more year of tuition payments for the last kid....THEN we get serious.

This mighty river is both my savior and my sin.... - Kristian Matsson

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 7:58 am 
FFIMer

This year I have great ideas and hopes... However, I'm sure they will be tempered by reality so here is what I know. I'll start off trying the outlets of small smelt streams in Sebago trying to catch a salmon. Then I'll move on to the Casco and Harrison areas for a a day or two. After that it will up to camp and fishing the the Andro from Errol to Bethel. Then a bit further north as the waters warm. I will also try for an EO adventure which will be combined with an overnight with the folk from the Chewonki foundation. The finale will be a trip to NY for salmon and steel head.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 11:36 am 
FFIM-aholic

in addition to the DIY AK trip in August with Vermonter.....I'm going to try and spend some time exploring the whole Cold Stream Pond watershed.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 9:08 pm 
FFIMer

Have been fishing Apalachee Bay along the Forgotten Coast of FLA the last few years and recently picked up a cottage. Will be there a number of times this spring going for Redfish, Seatrout and in May, Tarpon. Will go Steelhead fishing in Idaho in April as well. Many, many Montana trips planned though none in the immediate future. It's warmer today than yesterday but that ain't saying much. Am in Great Falls working and it will be -9F with a Real Feel of -20F tonight.

For you Big Horndogs, here's the latest.

http://montanauntamed.com/fishing/article_3dbe0cfc-c4eb-54f5-8e76-7667d583ccc0.html

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 9:24 pm 
FFIMer

Montana Man wrote:

Well it they ARE able to keep it to 7k cfs that would be great. A little over HALF what it was last spring on our trip. Hell, we caught some pigs, but there was no dry fly action.

Thanks for the article.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 10:06 pm 

Confirmed my Kidney Pond cabin for the first week of June last night. (Happy Birthday to me . . . . .)

Watching Montana airfares for mid September--lots of flights around $500 right now, and with some creative scheduling (fly out Saturday, stay 9-10 days) a few under $400.

Trying to decide whether to go back to Cooke City for the NE corner of the Park, where there is still a bunch of water I'd like to explore, or maybe stay over in Idaho and fish the SW corner and Grand Teton--Bechler, Falls, Snake, Henry's Fork.

And maybe thinking about an August trip instead this year.

Choices, choices, choices . . . .

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 8:10 am 
FFIM Addict

Montana Man wrote:
Have been fishing Apalachee Bay along the Forgotten Coast of FLA the last few years and recently picked up a cottage. Will be there a number of times this spring going for Redfish, Seatrout and in May, Tarpon. Will go Steelhead fishing in Idaho in April as well. Many, many Montana trips planned though none in the immediate future. It's warmer today than yesterday but that ain't saying much. Am in Great Falls working and it will be -9F with a Real Feel of -20F tonight.

For you Big Horndogs, here's the latest.

http://montanauntamed.com/fishing/article_3dbe0cfc-c4eb-54f5-8e76-7667d583ccc0.html

I’m hoping they let out much more water (+7000) in April and May, and get the flow down under 6500 in July. If we have another trip with the water like 2017 we’ll have to re-evaluate when we hit the Horn. I’m thinking instead of +/- July 20th we might want to seriously think about August. We’d miss the Black Caddis.......but would probably be spot-on for the Trico’s. As someone said earlier.......decisions, decisions.

That would mean not hitting the Missouri ( too late, too many weeds, too warm)......but everything is a choice.

Dave M

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 9:23 am 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Confirmed my Kidney Pond cabin for the first week of June last night. (Happy Birthday to me . . . . .)

Watching Montana airfares for mid September--lots of flights around $500 right now, and with some creative scheduling (fly out Saturday, stay 9-10 days) a few under $400.

Trying to decide whether to go back to Cooke City for the NE corner of the Park, where there is still a bunch of water I'd like to explore, or maybe stay over in Idaho and fish the SW corner and Grand Teton--Bechler, Falls, Snake, Henry's Fork.

And maybe thinking about an August trip instead this year.

Choices, choices, choices . . . .

FYI, one thing I DID learn on my trip to Y'Stone last fall: those big Browns start their run out of Hebgen up the Madison in AUGUST! No need to freeze my butt off going in Oct. So Sept could be divine. :)

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 2:30 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M, I know you like Livingston and if you get your Trico fix filled on the Big Horn you might consider a day or two on the Yellowstone downstream of Livingston. There are some piggy browns in there and the river traffic is usually pretty light. Downstream from Big Timber there is a great stretch that I've done a few times. It's been a while but my brother and I both hooked 6lb Browns in that stretch on the same day. I say hooked because he landed his, mine was at least equal and got off in the current due to weak oarsmanship :wink:. FWiW, we were using Bow River Buggers with Light Tan Deep Sparkle Emergers (BH/16) dropped off of them and every fish that ate, fed on the dropper. We were hugging the bottom with the flies. One of my favorite ways to fish the Yellowstone is stopping and hitting back channels on islands. Downstream of Livingston offers some great water for this and the dry flies used are usually size 12 or bigger.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 2:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

MM.......

This might sound ridiculous, but in the 25 years or thereabouts I’ve been going to Livingston (actually my home away from home) in Montana I’ve never fished the Yellowstone down there.

I’ve fished it in the Park, and just upstream from West Yellowstone, but when we’re in Livingston I’m always hyper focused on the three Spring Creeks.

We couldn’t get rods this year on either Nelson’s or Armstrong’s......But we were fortunate to get three rods for two days on DePuy’s. I’ve probably spent more days on DePuys than the other two combined. I love that Creek.

We’re there on July 11th and 12th.......so the peak of the PMD’d will probably have gone by, but the hatch should still be going strong.

A certain place on the lower Creek from 6 pm on ( baring a lot of wind) might be just about as close to a sure bet for a Spinner Fall as there is in Fly Fishing. I put on a #20 Rusty Spinner trailed by 18” of 6X and a #24 Sulphur Spinner and, again barring big wind, am on trout from 6 pm until after dark.

If I would eve move west Livingston would be #1 on my priority list, with Bozeman being right behind. I love those two places. I’m guessing both Craig and Ft. Smith might be a little grim in the winter. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 4:09 pm 
FFIMer

Dave, the Yellowstone downstream of Livingston likely won't be fishable in early July but might be in week 3. I was mentioning it as an August option which IMO is a great time for the Stone. I might go over to Depuys in the next few weeks to hit the $40 winter rates. The fish out of Depuys are as clean and fresh looking as any fish I've ever caught.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 5:00 am 
FFIMer

Looks like this year will be kind of slow for me, traveling wise. I'm going to be tied up with work for most of the year so I'm going to be fishing locally.