FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:22 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Good and unexpected news comes to us from Michigan.

Maine rodmaker George Barnes of Harpswell left us a few years ago, but not before publishing his split bamboo fly rod making techniques in his coffee-table sized book, affectionately called Fly Rods Galore ($49.95). Read more at:

http://www.aldercreekpublishing.com/fly_rods_galore.htm

Now,

Ron Barch, our good friend, rodmaker, and my publisher as well as George's, happens to love school Robotics Clubs almost as much as bamboo rods - his brother is a high school robotics coach.

So, Ron has donated 80 copies of George Barnes' book to the kids (the LJHS Robotics Club, who host SuperBoo so we can use the school) to GIVE AWAY FREE to the first 80 attendees who stop by their table to pick one up.

No strings attached. While you're always welcome to donate to the kids, the books are just another way to support the unique and wonderful coming-together which event has happened in Maine each winter for the past 15 years.

Kat

Attachments:
George Barnes.jpg
George Barnes.jpg [ 36.84 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Last edited by Kathy Scott on January 17th, 2018, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 12:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

More news...

The exhibit tables will be featured again this year. Jeff Knapp and A. J. Campbell will be there, side by side. AJ will have early Payne rods, a number of Paynes from 1898 to 1925 for display, and be taking any and all questions.

In response to comments on this forum about inexpensive bamboo, Fred Kretchman will demonstrate easy techniques to bring those economical older / used bamboo rod purchases back to fish-ready, and have a number of $100 rods plus the needed components at his table.

Dana Fish will be back, along with demonstration of his equipment.

Art LeClair will be there with his informative displays.

Commemorative t-shirts will be available at the Robotics Club table (more on these later).

And, you'll have the chance to take home 4 dozen of Dave Martel's wonderful Spring Drys - two dozen Mayfly parachutes and two dozen assorted Caddis.

Kat (and All)

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm 
FFIMer

I can't wait for this years event... I'm working feverishly to finish up my first cane rod before next weekend. All that's left is to varnish, hoping I can get it done in time. If not I'll bring it to show and not to cast.

Peter