FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 26th, 2018, 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 30th, 2017, 9:58 am 
FFIM Addict

All......

Just a heads up, and, officially, I have NO financial interest in this company.

If you’re looking to get into bamboo........and don’t have $1500 to $2500 for a name boo........Headwaters out of Idaho is offering their two tip series at 50% off.......or $274.

I have one of theirs.....the 7’ 4 wt. Now is it a Garrison or Dickerson? No.

It’s a damn fine casting rod at a VERY nice price. They have several models available.

Again........as always.......absolutely no financial interest for me in this.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 31st, 2017, 9:38 pm 
FFIMer

$274?! That’s just wrong, I can’t buy materials to build a decent rod for $274. Then I have to put in 40hrs of skilled labor. This is one reason I don’t sell my rods anymore. I’ll build them for friends and family. Invest a little more and support a local builder. Or make friends with one and take him/her fishing and maybe you’ll get a rod or at least a deal on one.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2018, 10:42 am 
FFIM Addict

Tim......

I don’t disagree. These are blanks made in China (basically paying slave wages, I’m sure)......and the workmanship isn’t up to the standards of $1500 to $2500 rods, BUT if someone doesn’t have that kind of scratch to spend and still wants to try to dip their toe into bamboo these are an inexpensive way to do that.

When I bought mine I had no way ntention of keeping it. I figured at that price it must be a POS, and had every intention of casting it on the front lawn, thinking it sucked, and shipping it back.

Imagine the look of surprise ( read: stunned) when I cast it and thought “Hey! This isn’t a bad rod at all. As I continued to put the rod through it’s oaces I thought “ My God.......this is a pretty good rod” I almost couldn’t believe it. I decided right then and there that not only would I keep that rod as a backup.....I use it as my smaller stream (e.g. GLS, Nezinscot, etc) rod. It’s that good......and I have eight other rods I could reach for.

Again.......are these a Garrison, Dickerson, Sweetwater, DVB, etc?of course not. But at less than the price of a low-end graphite they’re fine.

Dave M

PostPosted: January 1st, 2018, 1:00 pm 
FFIMer

I’m sure it’s a very good fishing tool, but that’s the problem. We compromise quality and support of American made products so we can fill our lives with stuff that we otherwise could not afford or need. My house, barn and shop are full of stuff like that. I started building rods when I was 15 because I couldn’t afford to buy them. If quality Chinese rods were available, I may never have gotten interested.
I built my own mandolins for the same reason. You can buy a quality instrument made overseas for what I have in materials in mine. For me I just can’t do it, when it comes down to products handcrafted by people that are friends and neighbors. You can’t throw a stick without hitting a rod builder these days.