FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2018, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 2:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

I noticed on one of the tying sites in the web that I’m a part of that there was a beautiful rendition of a Carrie Stephens (Stevens?!) type Rangeley style featherwing Streamer with the beautiful Jungle Cock eyes on it.

After reflecting on that picture for a few seconds I was somewhat startled to realize that in all the (quite literally) tens of thousands of flies I’ve tied up in the last 40+ years I’ve never......as in never......tied in a Jungle Cock eye feather.......nor ever tied a Carrie Stevens type Streamer. I thought that was somewhat interesting. Do they work.....still? Of course they do.

I tie mostly trout/landlock/Smallmouth flies........and most are dries, emergers, Nymphs, Midges, etc.......but I do tie streamers......just never Rangeley style ones.

Instead of featherwings I almost always use marabou or rabbit strips on my streamers.Zoo Cougars, Muddlers, Gartsides, Buggers, Zonkers, etc........but never featherwings. We have GREAT featherwing tiers here in Maine (We all know the names......I don’t want to leave anybody out)......but I sure as all get-out ain’t one of them. ;-)

Good tying season, everyone......and as of yesterday the days are getting longer.....thank goodness!

Dave M

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 7:12 am 
FFIMer

Interesting

I also have steered away from the traditional feather wing, no real reason because that is what I cut my teeth on so to speak ,they really introduced me to fly fishing. Caught a lot of Bass, Trout, Salmon and loads of pan fish on Mickey Finns, Wardens Worry and many others. I have a fly box with me at all times loaded with the old stand byes, but they do not see much use in the past few years except really early when on the hunt for wild trout on small waters and salter streams . Like you Dave most of my streamers and buggers have rabbit,zonker strips, cones, beads, or even fish skulls or sculpin helmets. Fun stuff to tie and more fun to fish.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 7:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

I am a laggard in the evolution of my streamers. I am still trying to perfect my featherwings, so many options, why move on?

I have tied all the articulated big meat streamers, I guess I just have a thing for the classics.

They are damn pretty too.

There was a study done and flies with eyes Fish better, my best stream set doesn’t use Jc Eyes, but has guinea for the shoulder so maybe that does the trick.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 9:55 am 
FFIM Addict

I'm with TGIF on the fact that feather wings are beautiful. And drawn through the water a well dressed feathering is just plain sexy. Ilove fishing a run by casting to the top of it, letting the line belly below me, and with slight twitches work it increasingly fksterdown through the run. All the time watching for a fish to come up and shadow it before hammering it. Or casting downstream along the current tongue going into a big pool and stripping back up and having a big Labradorian Land-locked coming up behind it forming a wake as it comes. Generally the hits are savage.
And they are fun to tie.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 1:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

1weight just got my blood flowing... some of my finest fish came on those featherwings. One in particular that I keep closely guarded.

But my favorite ways to fish them.

1. Perpendicular to the current, short, fast strips.... landlocks can’t help themselves... and yes, they can make a rooster tail.

2. Down and across with slow smooth strips just on the soft side of the seam... the slowest the better for Big brookies.

3. Upstream into the big pockets behind big boulders, stripped fast back.... the Fish the investigate are the big ones!

Using that drag and line belly to drive the Fly down deep is a great tactic.

Spring yet???

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

I plan on tying a dozen classic streamers this winter. This past May streamers were the clear winners on the West Branch. Dozens and dozens of nice fish caught on them. I have a real nice JC neck purchased years ago in Dan's shop in Greenville. The neck was on the sale table and Penny told me it had been part of Dan's father's old supplies. Its in perfect condition and could easily tie many dozen streamers.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 11:14 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Lucky score on the neck... finding an affordable one these days takesnsome work!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 11:14 am 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF is too modest. His creations have saved my day more than once. Proudly displayed in our house thanks to TGIF - the boy's got skills!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 10:47 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My only disappointment is that the fish don’t eat the sexiest of those patterns... herb Welch had a great eye, but while his kennebago and Cupsuptic streamers are sexy, I get no love on them. York’s kennebago, kennebago smelt and kennebago special are all killers.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 1:46 pm 
FFIMer

I've seen TGIF's work. First rate. Several years ago I had a Herbie Welch phase, and tied up the entire collection as far as the ones I knew about. The one pattern that I wanted to tie was alluded to in Bates' book, the Welsh Montreal. I actually happened to run into Graydon Hilliard in Oquossoc a few years ago and ask him about it
At that time he had told me he'd been looking for it for years without success. Last spring I had the opportunity to see Leslie Hilliard tie, he mentioned that they had found a Welch Montreal and I believe it will be included in the upcoming Herbie Welch book.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2017, 8:30 pm 
FFIM-aholic

NICe of you guys to say... I am terribly out of practice. Looking forward to getting back into the groove.

Anyone know of an ETA on the herb Welch book?