FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellowstone Backcountry
PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 3:08 pm 
FFIMer

Hello all. I am planning a trip out west, (Yellowstone) next year and am looking for a little info from those of you that have gone. I have searched and read a few threads with great pics here. My plan is to backpack in somewhere off the beaten path and camp/fish for multiple nights. Has anyone done this? I am looking at doing a few multi-day trips in one spot and then a few in another. My thought was to fly into Bozeman and then head ?? from there. The timeframe would most likely be late August or early September. Thank you for any recommendations.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 4:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've been to Yellowstone 6 or 7 times and I'm totally unqualified to answer this question. I know people who have day hiked into remote ponds and also some who have made the hike into 3rd meadow Slough and stayed a night or two. I also know you'll need a wilderness camping permit at a minimum. And bear spray.

Have fun.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 5:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

dryflie wrote:
And bear spray.

And more bear spray. Bears are probably as prevalent in the east, but you see them EVERYWHERE around Yellowstone.

And they make bigger poops than our eastern run-of-the-mill bears.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 9:18 am 
FFIMer

I have day hiked in to a number of the remote ponds in Yellowstone. Grayling/cuts and cut/bows in the ones I fished. Not huge fish in the high altitude ponds, but a quality fishing experience for abundant 8-14" trout And yes, a lot of bear sign. The fishing was very good, but I was not keen on an over night stay in grizz country. When bear become habituated to people I think they learn bad behaviors and loose some of their natural caution to humans. Just an opinion.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 9:36 am 
FFIMer

Have only done day hikes. I’d look at Cache, Pebble and especially Hellroaring Creeks as possibilities. Beautiful country, lots of cutthroat.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 9:39 am 

I've been twice, in September both times. I've talked to a lot of people who have done backcountry trips. I've done long day hikes, but not overnight trips. (My wife really likes to have a shower and is afraid of bears.)

At the highly popular end, there is Slough Creek. There are campsites at Second Meadow, but I'm told the longer hike up to Third Meadow is worth it. I believe you can keep going upstream from there into the National Forest and find more campsites. Expect a lot of competition, and make reservations for these sites early. Getting them may require some kind of lottery. There are some ponds up there that would make good side trips.

A trip on my radar screen is the Upper Lamar and Cache Creek. I haven't researched this as much, but there are lots of campsites. I'm told they are very popular with horse packing parties, and there are always a bunch of stock trailers at the trailhead.

A friend who used to work in eastern Idaho swears by the Bechler. Very remote, accessed from the southwest end of the park.

Keep in mind that in July you'll find a lot of larger cutts still in the headwaters streams after spawning. As the season gets later, a lot of those fish will drop down to the larger mainstem rivers.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 11:25 am 
FFIMer

Great info all. Thank you. Definitely been in bear country before while hiking and fishing in the Sierras.

I have picked up a few guide books and am leaning toward the Lamar area. Slough creek and Soda Butte are certainly on the list. I like the idea of hiking to Third Meadow on Slough. And now Cache Creek has intrigued me...