FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Emergers vrs. Dries
PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 11:37 am 
FFIM Addict

All........

Just came back upstairs from a brief tying session this morning. I was looking specifically at my PMD Box, but nonetheless I think this holds true for all the hatch’s I fish.

I’m guessing (I didn’t actually count) that 90+% of my “dries” are actually emergers.....if we count Sparkle Duns and Parachutes as emergers.

Some “emergers” are actually closer to Nymphs.......as in the one I was tying this morning. The entire rear 75% of the fly is a nymph.......the emerger part is the foam wing and the PMD dubbing on the front quarter.

Many emergers (e.g. Sparkle Duns) could actually be called drys, as they’re fished on the surface.

Discuss?

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Emergers vrs. Dries
PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 2:37 pm 
FFIMer

There are not many flies that I fish as true emergers. I mostly fish sparkle duns, ESPs, and X2 caddis. I could go all year on those 3 "dries." With those I do tend to only apply Froggs Fanny to the head so the tail and abdomen will, somewhat, sink into the film. For true emergers I tie two and really only use one with any regularity, CDC loop wing and an emerging PT with a foam and CDC wing. The loop wing sees the most action, although I can't recall a time where I tied it on last season.

I've been practicing tying small parachutes, down to 22, but I can't see one smaller then 18 on the water, so they do not see much time....I don't think I've ever caught a fish on a parachute. Not sure why I can see sparkle duns down to 22 but not the 'chutes, even using a bright post. Small dries are not my A game, probably my weakest skill in FFing.

Peter

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 4:56 pm 
FFIMer

I agree with Dave, the vast majority of my surface flies are emergers. Klinkhammer style in various patterns are my go to....the only real exception for me is the Hendrickson loop-wing emerger I came to like on the Delaware River and have had good luck with here in Maine. My experience is that a fly fished at least partially subsurface gives you a much higher margin for error on matching the hatch...meaning the fish are more forgiving than when they're on adults in which case my experience is that you have to be more exact.

I've also been known to cast fish into submission so take my perspective for what its worth.

Matt

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 7:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

I don't believe my "dries" reach the 90% threshold that Dave fishes. But i would say during the main season (April-October) I'm at 70% emergers. Many, but not all are generally easier to tie and more forgiving to fish. I fish them high in the film, low in the film, as a "dry/dropper". I can't really think of too many reasons not to fish them.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 11:21 am 

Remember those old books that showed a "proper" dry fly resting on hackle tips and tail so the hook and body were suspended above the water line? I can't imagine fishing a fly that way any more.

I tie almost no traditional dries. Parachutes, no hackles, spinners, sparkle duns, X caddis, ESP's--all designed to fish in the film. And a variety of soft hackles and unweighted nymphs to fish under the film.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 12:07 pm 
FFIMer

Nymphs....

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 1:43 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I fished one dry fly almost exclusively this summer ( mostly at WB) Mercer's Missing Link....

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 3:32 pm 
FFIMer

Seriously though, the only dries I carry are a box of Dave M's sparkle duns. Everything else I tie or fish that isn't a nymph is an emerger. Nine times out of ten it's Lafontaines Emergent Sparkle Pupae. No fly box should be without an assortment, and a few of them should be tied with partridge as a soft hackle.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 3:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Seriously Nine times out of ten it's Lafontaines Emergent Sparkle Pupae. le.

That is a GREAT fly! Interestingly......at least to me.......I’ve had most of my success with it in a very unconventional color——-+-Candy Apple Green for both the overbody and underbody.

I’ve had very ,
Limited success, however, with LaFontaines Deep Sparkle Pupa......either with or without a bead head

Dave M

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 8:56 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Seriously Nine times out of ten it's Lafontaines Emergent Sparkle Pupae. le.

That is a GREAT fly! Interestingly......at least to me.......I’ve had most of my success with it in a very unconventional color——-+-Candy Apple Green for both the overbody and underbody.

I’ve had very ,
Limited success, however, with LaFontaines Deep Sparkle Pupa......either with or without a bead head

Dave M

Yes green works well, and brown, and black. And I don't tie the deep version, just thow on a piece of split shot and nymph or swing the ESP.

Peter

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 10:12 pm 
FFIMer

What’s a dry fly?
Nymphs and emergers are more productive and for me attract better fish. Last season I got hooked on pt snowshoe hare emergers. Supper simple to tie, they sit right in the film, float great fish after fish.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 6:43 am 
FFIMer

I had some great days on the water this season before the heat set in. Hatches of the larger Mayflies lasted well into streamer season on the stretch of water I spend most of my time on.
My go to was a Sparkle Dun 16 or 14 depending on day, Dun wing, grey body with 18' of tippet off the bend. I would also change up my dropper with a NP or a small deer hair/CDC emerger my brother ties very simple but deadly. As far as traditional " ride high on the hackle dries" When the Caddis start then it May be a West Branch Caddis always a great choice on any Maine river if you ask me , But I really enjoy anchoring my boat in a quick riffle when there is nothing hatching at all and fishing a size 14 Royal Wulff, Stimulator, or even a hopper or something along that line greased up and it usually ends up being the best fish of the day. Especially if these guys are whacking us in the head and running around while we are at the launch :!:

Attachments:
P6270001.JPG
P6270001.JPG [ 140.37 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]

Last edited by kennebecfly on December 24th, 2017, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 7:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

I have fished more drybflies in the past two years then I have in my lifetime. Outside of the monumental hatches.... a cream or grey comapardun and a grey or olive CDC caddis has been all I have needed. Fortunately, no stops from customs brining back my frogs fanny.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 11:59 am 
FFIMer

If a parachute fly is considered an emerger then I'm in the 90% of my dryfly fishing is with emergers. I fish a lot of parachutes, quigs and sprouts though as I think about it I also fish a lot of stone fly patterns during the dog days so maybe I'll have to modify to 70/30 emergers/dries.

Regarding Lafontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa, I have caught some absolute piggy browns using it on the Yellowstone downstream of Yankee Jim Canyon to Big Timber. However the key to catching fish on it for me was to fish it very deep. We use a Bow River Bugger above and the DSP in light tan with a bead underneath. Size 14. Don't know why I seldom use it elsewhere but I'll have to remedy that this year.