FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently January 20th, 2018, 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camp- 12/17
PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 8:04 am 
FFIM Addict

While many of you know that teaching school is as close to unemployed as anyone can get and still get paid (in some case-paid far too well)-- it DOES have some frustrations and complications that add up over time to a point where I generally need to be away from humans I love so that I don’t become the person I could.

In the last few weeks the weight of “important” wastes of my time has become oppressive- and called for a little time ALONE at camp.

Molls and I hit the road after work and, with a stop at my brother’s Mother’s house for a guilt visit of an hour, I was on Rt9. The ride to camp was slow, as the road was shiny, and I was alone on Rt 9 except for Killer Bee trucks (which seemed to have a passion for the middle of the road).

I was concerned about camp, as nobody had been there in 3 weeks, and I doubted the road was plowed...it wasn’t. Deer were everywhere from Princeton to GLS- and the road is closer to a bottle than tar.

Camp was fine- and it only took a short while to warm up. I set up the vice and had a short Bloody and hit the hay…

I tied and walked the dog for 2 full days--- mostly tied, but did walked Molls on Middle walk each day. A beaver has moved into the kids canal, and he is aggressive toward dogs- but I was walking a coward, so no blood was shed. The dam pool was windy, and I spotted no fish. The lake is wide open outside the narrows- and looks uncommonly cold.

Saw 3 good fish from the bridge- and could have made a good drift to at least 2 of them. One was visibly feeding-side to side. They were there all 4 times I walked by.

The deer now live where Dad sits..and have pawed up the entire front lawn looking for acorns. They-unlike the beaver, are NOT dog worried- nor human for that matter. They wonder in and out of view all day...The eagles were about, but the river grew frozen as the weekend went on.

I tied stones and Mickey Finns to start, then worked my way down to #20 nymphs- which were the objective all along.

Steaks for dinner-shared….and a nap each day...good times.

The drive home was slow with traffic and all the rush to get to malls and homes...but I was much better when I got home and the power of camp still does amaze me. And- being a teacher, we will spend much of the coming break there, as SHE thinks camp is pretty nice too.

Hutch

Post subject: Re: Camp- 12/17
PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 9:19 am 
FFIM Addict

Never underestimate the power of some quiet time by a wood stove, with a good dog at your feet, and a vise in front of you. Add a cup of camp coffee to the mix, as needed, to keep the earth moving and the mind stimulated to the task at hand.

How much snow is on the ground around GLS?

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 10:14 am 
FFIM Addict

Hutch wrote:
While many of you know that teaching school is as close to unemployed as anyone can get and still get paid (in some case-paid far too well)--

Hutch

Well, my friend, what you say may very well be true where you teach.......but I can think of a district about 50 miles south of you where that statement above most definitely isn’t true. I can put in a good word for you with the Superintendent if you’d like to work harder for your last couple of years of teaching, if you’d prefer. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 3:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave--- I didn't say I knew...I said some OTHER people here know... !

Hutch

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 5:47 pm 
FFIMer

That sounds like the kind of weekend I need.....
Great post Hutch