FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 26th, 2018, 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 4:19 pm 

The past 2 weekends I skipped fishing and headed to a couple of streams I have been fishing for decades, to do some scouting - in both cases I visited parts of the streams that I had never been to before and both times I was very pleased with what I saw - sometimes that's all it takes, just looking at the same water with a different set of eyes...last weekend was particularly satisfying - I not only "discovered" some very good looking water, I found an access route that cut my drive time in half, gave me access to some sweet river-side campsites and it all exists behind a gate that APPEARS to be locked, so I won't have much company on this stretch of river - to boot, the area is very hilly country that's been cut over, so it looks like the deer hunting could be good - as I buswhacked around I scared up 4-5 partridge too - this place has already replaced the visions of sugar plums dancing in my head...only another week before the days start getting longer - happy trails!

Attachments:
File comment: Gotta be brookies here!
A trouty looking spot.JPG
A trouty looking spot.JPG [ 94.32 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Beautiful water, behind locked gate, and drive time cut in half?!? Now THAT'S time well spent!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:17 pm 
FFIMer

Someone on this forum once said there are no secrets in Maine. They obviously don't spend enough time in Maine.
Good stuff Brian.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 3:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice looking spot Brian, let me know when you want a wingman... i’ll Close the gate behind us :wink:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:42 am 
FFIM-aholic

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Someone on this forum once said there are no secrets in Maine. They obviously don't spend enough time in Maine.
Good stuff Brian.

That was probably the bourbon talking :twisted:

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 6:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian Foley, the only real trout fisherman on this board.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:30 pm 

Roundabout, your comment concerning secret spots usually goes hand in hand with another perennial discussion, spot burning...I guess a guy's response depends on his definition of the terms "secret" and "spot" - does secret mean only one person knows about it, or only wiley locals or just Mainers...does "spot" mean a place where one catches lots of lunkers every time or some fish all the time or 1 fish every time? To me "secret spot" means a place where reliable catching can be had most any time during prime time in a place where I never see any other f-men or many signs of anyone else being there. So, as far as I'm concerned, there are loads of "secret spots" out there and for the most part that's all I fish during the general season...then again, not everyone prefers secret spots, and that's cool too..
Rory, you're a real trout fisherman, aren't you?

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

brian foley wrote:
Rory, you're a real trout fisherman, aren't you?

I sort of used to be. Maybe I'll get back to my same old used to be sometime in the future.
These days, hardly.

I love reading of your exploits, though.