FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tying thoughts......
PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 3:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

All........

As I was sitting at my vise this morning I was contemplating a few things about fly tying.

I was tying up a few #8 Upside Down Black Stone Nymphs; Golden Stone Nymphs; And Brown Stone Nymphs. Oh, and just as an aside......for those of us that love the old Kaufman’s dubbing.......and have been hoarding them like gold since the retail stores went out of business several years ago.......they’re still available. Pm me if you want the retailer. Also......I just tried Firehole hooks out of Bozeman......they seem *very* good.......and at $10/50 they’re pretty inexpensive compared to other premium hooks. Barbless, wide gap.......and SHARP.

I read on a Forum the other day where a tier said that the fishing season was about over.....and they were going to get their vise and materials out of storage.......as they hadn’t tied a fly in something like 8 months. I thought “Wow......that guy/gal must be a helluva good tier”. If I don’t sit down at the vise for three days the proportions of the first couple of flies are usually off.......and I either end up re-wrapping the wings( or some other part), or just taking a razor blade to the entire fly and taking it down to the bare hook and starting over.

I actually tried to tidy up my tying desk the other day.......and that lasted about an hour. It looks as messy today as it has for the last six months.

After tying nothing but #18 PMDs for the prior week this weeks #4 (3XL) Golden Retrievers and #8 bead head Stone Nymphs look gigantic. Also......going from 14/0 Gordon Griffiths thread to 6/0 Uni the new thread feels like tying with rope.

Stay warm......drink plenty of coffee, ( or that other amber beverage of choice), and good tying, everyone.

Dave M

PS: On that Kaufman dubbing the reason I treasure it so much is that most dubbings are monochromatic. Very few things in nature are. The “black” Kaufman’s is mostly black, but with yellow and red mixed in. Just excellent stuff if you’ve never tried it. It’s certainly not as easy to dub as.......say......Superfine or rabbit.......but in a dubbing loop it’s superb.