FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 20th, 2018, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sturgeon?
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Do these dinosaurs winter over around here or do they migrate south? I was surfing in Wells this afternoon and saw no fewer than 5 completely breach - straight out of the water like a missile - within about 200 yards from the beach. I've seen them before while off of Black Point during late summer a couple years ago. I was really surprised to see them so active today - so cool!

Post subject: Re: Sturgeon?
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 9:06 pm 
FFIMer

I've seen them in the Kennebec off BIW in mid-late October. Not sure about migration.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 10:19 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Like seeing moose - no matter how many times I've seen them they still stop me in my tracks! I could just google it but this is more fun...

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 11:33 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Saw them this time of year a couple years back while doing some work on a house on the river at Pine Point. Same year they were dredging there. I'd sit on the deck and watch the show while eating lunch. Seals had a field day there too, with all the easy dinners being served by the dredging.

But........., I can't answer your question. :?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 7:56 am 
FFIM Addict

I can.

Shortnose sturgeon winter in Maine. They congregate in winter in a certain stretch of the Kennebec not far from Merrymeeting Bay. I'm sure there are other spots too, but I know the Penobscot radio-tagged fish mix with Kennebec fish and winter in a deep pool on the river.

Atlantic sturgeon winter at sea.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 10:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Next episode of river monsters.... Jeremy wade sets out to catch the fish that brained a surfer who was crazy enough to surf in December in the norther hemisphere.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 3:17 pm 
FFIM-aholic

That's pretty cool that they congregate in one particular pool - must look like Jurassic Park! Pretty sure the ones I saw were Atlantic as they were AT LEAST 4' long for me to have seen them that clearly from that distance. Not sure why I assumed they would migrate south for the winter.

TGIF - couple years ago I was surfing Prouts Neck and got towed out, by boat, to the surf break by the owner of the marina (other guys in the water thought I was someone important, until they actually saw me surf). He told me a story of a boat owner that was rowing his dingy out to his mooring. One of these beasts jumped into his dingy and thrashed around, slicing the guy up pretty good. I'll do my best to avoid direct contact - 6 mil of rubber protection this time of year!

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Salmosebago wrote:
That's pretty cool that they congregate in one particular pool - must look like Jurassic Park! Pretty sure the ones I saw were Atlantic as they were AT LEAST 4' long for me to have seen them that clearly from that distance. Not sure why I assumed they would migrate south for the winter.

TGIF - couple years ago I was surfing Prouts Neck and got towed out, by boat, to the surf break by the owner of the marina (other guys in the water thought I was someone important, until they actually saw me surf). He told me a story of a boat owner that was rowing his dingy out to his mooring. One of these beasts jumped into his dingy and thrashed around, slicing the guy up pretty good. I'll do my best to avoid direct contact - 6 mil of rubber protection this time of year!

At 4' in length, they could be either an adult Shortnose or a baby Atlantic sturgeon. Whereas Shortnose sturgeon top out around 4 feet in length, Atlantic sturgeon grow upwards of 18 feet. They're also a lot bigger around than Shortnose. I got soaked by a ~10 foot Atlantic sturgeon which breached not far from me while I was fishing carp on Merrymeeting a couple years ago. They can move a lot of water when they breach.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 7:28 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
At 4' in length, they could be either an adult Shortnose or a baby Atlantic sturgeon. Whereas Shortnose sturgeon top out around 4 feet in length, Atlantic sturgeon grow upwards of 18 feet. They're also a lot bigger around than Shortnose. I got soaked by a ~10 foot Atlantic sturgeon which breached not far from me while I was fishing carp on Merrymeeting a couple years ago. They can move a lot of water when they breach.

The few I saw were from a couple hundred yards away and yeah - they moved a lot of water when they landed. I say 4' but I'm probably underestimating the size - I'm a fisherman - I do that :shock:

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 8:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

yes, you're notoriously frugal with your size estimates..... :roll:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 11:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

TGIF wrote:
yes, you're notoriously frugal with your size estimates..... :roll:

Stop talking to my wife behind my back!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 11:48 am 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
I can.

Shortnose sturgeon winter in Maine. They congregate in winter in a certain stretch of the Kennebec not far from Merrymeeting Bay. I'm sure there are other spots too, but I know the Penobscot radio-tagged fish mix with Kennebec fish and winter in a deep pool on the river.

Atlantic sturgeon winter at sea.

You haven't lived until you see one breach the water while you're fly fishing from a kayak. My wife and I used to see them frequently on the Cathanace River near Bowdinham. The first time I almost had to change my skivvies. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

Walk along the Kennebec in Augusta (or Waterville or Hallowell or Gardiner) in June. Linwood Riggs gets some amazing photos.
[url]
http://www.riggsphoto.com/Nature/Sturge ... /i-pV62s8B[/url]

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 7:00 am 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Walk along the Kennebec in Augusta (or Waterville or Hallowell or Gardiner) in June. Linwood Riggs gets some amazing photos.
[url]
http://www.riggsphoto.com/Nature/Sturge ... /i-pV62s8B[/url]

Beautiful!!!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 7:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

The people's reactions in the background are awesome. i especially love the kids reaction in #32.