FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 21st, 2018, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 9:03 pm 
FFIMer

HI,
i looked in the classifieds but nuttin'...so I will ask here ..anyone have soemthing like a st croix or similar in graphite ,,,8 foot 6-7 weight ??i am also bidding on an auction for a phlueger reel but don't know how that will turn out yet ..trying to keep the rod under $100.00
i can be reached here or at : mikemenh73@yahoo.com
or 603-246-3640 .i live in Pittsburg,Nh year r ound these days .. thanks in advance

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 9:10 pm 
FFIMer

I would look at these. https://www.google.com/search?q=ll+bean ... e&ie=UTF-8

My son has one and it is a nice little rod. I use it sometimes and don't mind using it.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 9:56 pm 
FFIMer

Brookie,

This rod doesn't seem bad for the price and comes with tube, backing and line. Only $79. The reviews on Amazon are decent. If he decides he likes flyfishing you can give him a nice upgrade when he hits 12 or so.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/redington-crosswater-rod-and-reel-outfit-4-piece~p~307dd/?filterString=fly-fishing-rods~d~6866%2F

https://www.amazon.com/Redington-Crosswater-590-4-Fly-Outfit/dp/B00ISD2AY0

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 6:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

LAST year my little guy got a 6’ eagleclaw featherlight that was 50 bucks all in with a reel. It’s fiberglass, tough, and very forgiving. I have enjoyed casting it too. Not sure your grandson’s age, but I was betting on something I would have to repair or fix pretty quickly. To my amazement. We are 50 weeks in and new mains intact.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 12:02 pm 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
LAST year my little guy got a 6’ eagleclaw featherlight that was 50 bucks all in with a reel. It’s fiberglass, tough, and very forgiving. I have enjoyed casting it too. Not sure your grandson’s age, but I was betting on something I would have to repair or fix pretty quickly. To my amazement. We are 50 weeks in and new mains intact.

Tim, I was close to buying one of those out of novelty/nostalgia. Thought it would be a neat backup small stream rod. You're review has me reconsidering picking one up.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 4:45 pm 
FFIMer

Bean, Cabellas, and similar all have "starter" rod/reel combos at generally less than $100. I have given the Bean "angler" setup to 3 different young relatives. It is actually a pretty good rod. FYI, Bean is having a 25% sale at present, but don't know how long it lasts

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 5:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

ROundabout... I had the same thought, but in the end I just use his. It works great for distances it is designed for, and you can double haul a popper 40’ if you need to.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 1:15 pm 
FFIMer

The nice thing about the Eagle Claw is that you can get a shorter rod for a heavier line weight. The 7 footer will throw a 6wt. Which means he’ll be able to fish poppers and streamers for bass and pan fish. The most important thing is what you fish for. Take him somewhere that he’ll catch fish. I started my three sons on perch and mackerel with spinning gear. They caught a lot of fish and got hooked. I never forced fly fishing on them, but they have come around to it on their own. All three are dedicated fly fishermen and Tyers. Have fun with him. I’m looking forward to my grandsons first fish

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 2:46 pm 
FFIMer

If I read it right, Beans has a 25% discount (even on items already discounted) until tonight...in the store, on the phone, or on-line...with of course, as they always advertise, free shipping.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 6:53 am 
FFIM-aholic

TMarchetti,

Totally agree with everything you've said, right now we spend most of our time in the US on bluegill ponds, that are loaded with worm loving fish. While in France we have to go to stocked trout ponds, but with some imported power bait we get enough success to make it fun. Cold spells are covered with a mix of snacks, games, "gatorade" as a HUGE Treat, etc. He's yet to get a fish on the fly, but he loves sitting on my lap and tying, stealing all of my tying books and magazines, and it seems he's on the right track. But like you said, I'm totally commited to it being "his track", his choice, etc. We wont be hiking into a pond in April rain any time soon. :)

Maybe the one issue with that Featherlight is that he is only 5 years old, so even the 6' fly rod is hard on his arm, he just doesn't have the strength to swing the rod, but he's adapted getting good at two hand type spey cast :)

I know it isn't a fly rod, but a quick endorsement... my kids are currently 7, 5 and 3, but have been "fishing" since they were 18-24 months, and now the baby is getting into it. We have always used Zebco Dock Demons from walmart, which are about $14.99 if i recall correctly... they are like an ice fishing pole with a full size reel. These things are BULLETPROOF, and work great. Perfect size for the kids and have held up really well. My only recommendation is to put some slightly better line on the reels to prevent coiling, but otherwise they have been awesome.