FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In the category......
PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 10:54 am 
FFIM Addict

.......of WTH???

I figured that since I am going to spend a couple of days on the Paradise Valley Spring Creeks 5his coming summer (specifically DePuy’s)......I’d better check out my dry fly bix specifically devoted to PMD’s.......as that’s the hatch we’ll be fishing there.

My PMD Box.........with give/take 30 dozen PMD’s........has disappeared from my tying/Fishing g room. WHAT???? Are you serious?

I have scoured this house......the trunk of the Jeep.....every place that box should logically be. NADA.

I’ve said more than a few e pletives deleted this last couple of days. How the #### do Hines just up and disappear? This is the second time in the last decade this has happened to me. Several years ago my Hardy JLH 7 that I used on my Cecil Pierce bamboo just disappeared. Now this flybox.

As I wasn’t scheduled to fish the Creeks last summer I don’t think I brought it out West with me, but I’m not certain of that. Now it’s &$#(*&$ gone.

It looks like the rest of the winter will be devoted to re-pleneshing my supply of #18 and 20 PMDs. To say I’m a bit perplexed......and pissed off......might just be the understatement of the Fall.

Dave M

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 11:24 am 
FFIM Addict

You moved...and it will be in the last place you look.

Hutch

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 12:16 pm 
FFIM Addict

One of the socks I wore while fishing Patagonia for 20# Browns with my 6ft Martha Marie bamboo has also disappeared. WTH. Seems like a conspiracy to me.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 3:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I nice lost my freezer bag full of dubbing packs. Dan at stone river talked me out of $120 worth of replenishing and told me to check at home again, in the trash can, in case I slipped it in there in a frenzied cleannup effort. Found it, and am still using those packs 5 years later. Keep digging... and excellent customer service from Dan.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 4:01 pm 
FFIMer

Lost a $100 hook order once. Vanished. On the bench in the envelope , and then gone. Tore the place apart looking for it.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 5:07 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Check EVERY vest, wader, shirt, pants, jacket pocket. Then to the bowels of your vehicle. Then go to luggage. These places are black holes. Can't tell you the number of times I thought something was long gone, then stumbled on to it. "WHAT? How the hell did it end up THERE?" is a common phrase used around my house!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 5:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

My guess is that you packed a kit for a T&L and stuffed the box into it to fill a few spots. Check your traveling tying gear. That's where I usually find my lost stuff.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 7:11 pm 
FFIMer

Well... I'm about the least organized person I know, so I am constantly loosing stuff. I don't know how many times I've torn apart the house, garage, Jeep, shed looking for something. I almost always find it, immediately after I need it.

Peter

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 8:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

Now Dave really, I hate to lose things as much as the next guy. And trust me living between two places a lot gets misplaced, forgotten and lost. Classic example this past holiday, I make it back to CT unpack what gets unpacked and no shaving kit. Thus no meds, vitamins, razor etc. Call my wife, put up with the "I'm beginning to worry ,Blah, Blah,Blah! Yea yea, please send it and don't worry I do have my BP pills. Then I see I left charger for my laptop. Tail between legs and text this time(less painful) at least to the ears. Kit arrives, I need a shave...WTF no razor. Recheck travel duffel there's my razor where it's been all week. Hmmm maybe she has a point.
Anyway I digress, Dave 30 doz. PMD's for you what's that a couple days tying in between everything else. I know, I know it's the fact that they're missing.
Good luck
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 8:56 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I looked everywhere for my chainsaw last week, wanting to get the rest of a dropped oak blocked up and split before the snow flies. Couldn't locate the damn thing anywhere. I gave up; it was gone. Bright orange and white, really nice Stihl, gone. I harbored ill-will toward my fellow man...somebody definitely stole it. No other conclusion made sense.
And then the thought of flying snow returned, And along with that the idea that it was time to fire up the snowblower for a performance check. And sitting right on top of the blower engine was my frigging bright orange chain saw!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 9:47 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
I looked everywhere for my chainsaw last week, wanting to get the rest of a dropped oak blocked up and split before the snow flies. Couldn't locate the damn thing anywhere. I gave up; it was gone. Bright orange and white, really nice Stihl, gone. I harbored ill-will toward my fellow man...somebody definitely stole it. No other conclusion made sense.
And then the thought of flying snow returned, And along with that the idea that it was time to fire up the snowblower for a performance check. And sitting right on top of the blower engine was my frigging bright orange chain saw!

1. First time I've ever seen or heard anyone say " really nice Stihl"

2. Nobody would steal a Stihl

3. You'll never have to worry about anyone under 30 stealing hand tools or anything associated with manual labor.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 11:10 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Those are good ones roundabout.
Stihl equipment has been very, very good to me. The chain saw is literally very nice because it's fairly new and I don't use it much. My Stihl stone saws are beyond exceptional. Just incredible durability and performance in constantly nasty conditions and under intense abuse.
People will steal (no pun) anything around here.
Those under thirty will work as long as you give them a belt so they can pull up their pants.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 11:00 am 
FFIMer

Like some of you, as soon as I replace a lost item, suddenly, like magic, the original "lost" item will reappear, right where I had left it...then of course, I have to apologize to everyone in the family, even the dog, who I had accused of "losing" my stuff! My wife has been very understanding, though; she just smiles and says, "Don't worry, you are just getting old"...Dave M, that might be your answer, maybe you are "just getting old," too :wink:

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 12:27 pm 
FFIMer

Dave, here's the bright side of losing those flies. You can tie up a bunch of the best PMD dry fly going. The Quigley Cripple. I am not kidding you when I tell you that if PMD's are coming off anywhere in Montana, a size 18 will take fish.

This is the version I use and use and use. Take care.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 12:38 pm 
FFIMer

For what it's worth, I have torn it up on this Hi-Vis PMD Spinner for at least 5 years and have been using the Split Back nymph for a few years on the Beav. When nymphed deep, they can't resist it.