FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T 2 cycle fuel ?
PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 5:24 pm 
FFIMer

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the racing fuel they sell at a local gas station would be the same as the pre-mixed fuel I've been buying. I know that ethanol is bad for small engines and have started buying the pre-mix. But at $33 a gallon I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm thinking I could buy the racing fuel and add my own oil. Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: O/T 2 cycle fuel ?
PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 8:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

I believe racing fuel is very high octane, not sure on alcohol content. I believe Aviation gas does not have alcohol but it does still have lead.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 11:09 pm 
FFIMer

Bill, my line of work involves chainsaws, pavement saws, gas powered winches, sod cutters, generators,you name it. With the saws, they are in constant use and don't see the effects of gas as much as the ones that aren't used as often. For the most part anything that is not likely to be used for more than a few weeks gets the fuel shut off and run out of gas, anything more than a month or more, we run the tank dry. It has saved a lot of repairs , most of which were caused by the fuel deteriorating the fuel lines and raising hell with the carburetors.
For a while some folks were using aviation fuel for storage, especially outboard motor storage, but it was pretty costly.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 10:20 am 
FFIM-aholic

Good points Roundabout.
I run Tru Fuel, or equivalent(husky has a good one), for inconsistent use. Expensive but well worth the performance and protection.
If I'm firing machines daily, and running them often each day, regular 87 octane and oil mix is fine. I mix it a gallon at a time so it doesn't sit in the can long.
In late fall, I will typically use Tru Fuel or equivalent exclusively in the case I forget about a machine (usually the leaf blower).
My little 1.2 h outboard for the square stern Old Town runs exclusively on Tru or equivalent. I don't need to be up the proverbial creek with a dead motor.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
FFIM Addict

igloo lake wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the racing fuel they sell at a local gas station would be the same as the pre-mixed fuel I've been buying. I know that ethanol is bad for small engines and have started buying the pre-mix. But at $33 a gallon I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm thinking I could buy the racing fuel and add my own oil. Any advice is appreciated.

Well. I have both two cycle and four cycle engines and also have concerns about Ethanol. If one were to use 87 octane fuel (with and w/o oil) and run it through the engine completely on each use I don't think there would be any harm to the engine or components. It's the storage of 87 in the lines and carb that causes the problem. Most of us can't drain the tank each and every time we use an engine so the premixed stuff is important. this year, after just two years of use with a new 4 cycle mower I had to have the carb rebuilt at a cost of $175. This year it will be run on premixed just before winter storage.

So my opinion on this issue is to use 87 in engines you use every week like mowers or trimmers as they are seeing fresh gas on a regular basis (I only fill a one Gal tank for storage). Run them empty as often as you can. On engines like chainsaws I use the premix all the time. At the end of the season run all engines clear of 87 and then run them out on pre-mix for winter storage.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 1:23 pm 
FFIMer

Dryflie, running most small engine tanks dry, the cost of the fuel lost is usually negligible, depending on the size of the tank and how much is left when you are done with it, you're looking at maybe $1-5 per tank, compared to repair costs, as you said $175 for a carburetor repair. Especially on equipment you NEED to have work when you expect it to. Of course I'm probably looking at this more from a contractors perspective than a homeowners.
Depending on what the equipment is you can always install an after market shut off switch in the fuel line as close to the tank as possible and just run the carb and lines dry.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 3:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Dryflie, running most small engine tanks dry, the cost of the fuel lost is usually negligible, depending on the size of the tank and how much is left when you are done with it, you're looking at maybe $1-5 per tank, compared to repair costs, as you said $175 for a carburetor repair. Especially on equipment you NEED to have work when you expect it to. Of course I'm probably looking at this more from a contractors perspective than a homeowners.
Depending on what the equipment is you can always install an after market shut off switch in the fuel line as close to the tank as possible and just run the carb and lines dry.

True. I remember when small engines actually had shutoffs. Not too common nowadays.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 4:54 pm 
FFIMer

I've been pretty lax with care for all or my equipment, riding mower, push mower, trimmer, and outboard. I use a lot of Sati-bil fuel additive, 5 times as much as they recommend, I think that helps. I run 87 octane in all and buy quality oil and only mix a gallon at a time for my little 4hp Mariner that rides on the back of my square stern. I do use exclusively Tru-Fuel in my trimmer as I only use it 2 or 3 times a year.

Peter

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 5:17 pm 
FFIM-aholic

One PITA when using oil and gas is the habit of shaking the can prior to filling machine, a good habit to have to keep the oil mixed and especially with ethanol, to keep it mixed as well. But if you are not perfect in your storage habits and/or have leaky cans/lids, you don't want to be shaking the can prior to fill up because you want any water to be isolated and NOT mixed. Another check for the Tru fuel.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 9:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ME

List of places to buy non ethonol fuel.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 7:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

I've not had an issue with ethanol fuel in any of my outdoor power equipment. My snowblower, lawn mower & tractor both get regular 87 octane with a double dose of the blue Stabil. I use a 5 gallon gas can for these and that gets filled numerous times per year. Next week they'll (lawn mower & tractor)
get their end of year service (oil, plugs, air filter change, etc) to be stored for the winter with clean fluids. I fill the gas tanks. They've always started right up in the spring.

All of my 2 stroke equipment is Stihl (2 chainsaws & leaf blower). These all get 92/93 octane ethanol gas with with the Stihl oil (has stabilizers) in a gallon gas can. I've not used Stabil. One of the chainsaws (the bigger one) gets run dry as well as the leaf blower. The smaller saw I keep full just in case. They've all also started & run fine when needed.

Now, all of this equipment is stored in a heated (50+ degrees) garage. It was my understanding that repeated/ prolonged freeze/thaw cycles is what causes the water separation/gumming issues with ethanol gas (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm guessing cars are run enough to not be a concern.

I've not experienced any carb/gumming issues using this method.

Last edited by InTheTrees on November 19th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 9:26 am 
FFIMer

Some good info here guys, much appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm 
FFIM Addict

Back about 6 or so years ago my Husqvarna chain saw wouldn't start. would run on gas poured in spark plug hole. finally discovered cut in pick-up tube at filter. Cut hose reset filter and away we went. A year later same problem. This time cut further up hose making it a trip to dealer. Dealer stated bad US gas but the Swedes had reformulated material for gas lines. Couple years later my wife takes our '63 Volvo for a spin. Almost home it dies but she can't push it over next to last rise before our house. Backs it into drive on our road and owner is all excited as his sister had same car about 30 years prior. He gets car running enough to bring it home but it dies in driveway. His hypothesis it needs new fuel pump. I purchase new fuel pump clean bowls in SU up draft carbs and it runs. Next trip home sputters and barely runs. Clean bowls which have sludge/wax crud in the. Car runs for annual trip around block. Next year repeat and so on. Finally I smarten up and pull fuel line before pump put air to tank and blow fuel tank and lines clear. Result is a bucket of crud fresh gas loaded with Stabil and it starts and runs fine.
Generator wouldn't start 2 storms ago. Drove home 300+ miles cleaned carb, not real bad then cleaned rust on fly wheel, reset magneto gap and fired up. Last storm fresh gas and 15 yr. old generator started for my wife on second pull.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Today I spoke with a gas station owner, who also has a pro stock drag race car. When asked if racing gas was leaded or unleaded? The answer is leaded. When asked does racing fuel have ethanol or not? The answer is yes. You can get it either way, generally not though.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 10:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

igloo lake wrote:

Today the guy at my local auto parts place sold me a bottle of something called Ethanol Shield. He claims he uses it in all his equipment and hasn't had any problems with 87 Octane. Small bottle for $5 treats 10 gal.