FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 25th, 2018, 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comic relief thread....
PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:50 am 
FFIM-aholic

As I look at sub zero temps for the second morning in a row, I realize that things can sometimes get a bit "rough around the edges" during the depths of winter. To lighten the mood, how about a little comic relief every so often? I'll leave this here..........
https://nypost.com/2016/07/04/im-a-mill ... ion-sucks/

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 9:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

I think a similar essay could be scribed on the nuances of any generation.
Good fodder for the curmudgeons though!
The cold brought late fall fishing to a screeching halt for me. But I had already made the transition to the hills and cold = snowmaking and natural snow :D Tuesday was fantastic at Sunday River. Speaking of the River...night skiing opens tonight, followed by torch light parade and fireworks. Kids are pumped.
Lots of snow chances in the 10-day. :D
It also means woodstove cranking in the man cave which hopefully equates to tying time which I desperately need.
Very Happy for winter's arrival!! :D

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 9:49 am 
FFIMer

It would be comic relief if only it wasn't so true. Millennials do suck. Go ahead and call me a grumpy old man, but it's true. Maybe there are a few exceptions but for the most part there is an entire generation that is hopeless.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

If you want to know what's wrong with young people, all you have to do is look at their parents.
So I guess everyone sucks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:40 am 
FFIM Addict

At work we're lucky in having two that are not of this stereotype. These two apprentices, one 18 and the other 23 are a pair of learning/working machines. They are like sponges when it comes to wanting to learn and to offer a hand. When we have overtime their hands are right up which for them is twofold. First financial, but more important to them is that each hour they work is an hour subtracted from the 7000 hours towards their journeyman lineman's ticket. We've been working our normal 5/10 schedule plus a Wed. night shift and usually Fri. night and Sat. night. One morning they come up to me as we're wrapping up our mid-week double and they say "Ron, why don't you get Art(The curmudgeon/boss) to schedule another night. And I had to tell them I'm getting to old for more than what I'm working." Thinking that the subject was dead about a week later the boss said that the two of them approached him and asked him to schedule an extra night.
But the feeling of getting old really hit home when the one offered to help me with my laptop. I was kidding him about when he was actually going to sit down with me to work out the problem. He said don't worry Ron I will. I replied that his promise was kind of like Wimpy's, "For a hamburger today I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday". Not only had he never heard that, he'd never watched Popeye and wasn't sure whether he new who Popeye was.
At least he was honest and he did keep his promise.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 11:56 am 
FFIM Addict

I don't find it funny, so much as disheartening. We should never write off a generation -- it's worthwhile to criticize antisocial behavior, but it's important to recognize and celebrate their strengths as well.

I work with a bunch of the millennials and they are fantastic. They want to remake the world for better and are willing to invest heavily in building the future. Every generation has growing pains, vanity, and an impatience for the world to change and a number of misaimed political objectives -- when I was in college, we had Ralph Nader and I had a buddy from Florida who voted Nader in Florida.

I think the obsession with documentation and communication goes through all generations -- at recent family gatherings, it's the boomers who are all on their phones, not the millennials. The core values of millennials are solid and I think we'll be much better off when they've matured and taken positions of leadership within our society. The ones I've gotten to know care deeply about doing a good job, treating everybody with respect, and making the world a better place. They care a lot. They are cynical and critical, but that's not exactly inconsistent with society at large. They need to learn patience and how to be polite, just like every other generation for the last 70 years.

I could write the same article about the vanity and narcissism of boomers, with DJT as the number one number one.

I have really high hopes for the millennial generation, as long as they can be channeled towards common objectives instead of exclusivism and tribalism.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 12:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Pushaw just knocked this one clear out of the park.
Great take.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm 
FFIMer

As much as I want to jump on the millennials suck bandwagon, it is been gen X, gen Y, and... millennials that have been fighting the war on terror for 16 years..

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 5:23 pm 
FFIM Addict

All I have to add is, if you think it's been cold, you haven't been around these parts very long. I ran my tractor today and was leaving puddles of open water everywhere. December wasn't like this when I was a kid.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 10:40 pm 

An interesting, witty article - like most generalizations, some truth and some hooey - as the father of 2 millenials, I'm not too worried - none of the 10,000 perverts that have been outed in the last 2 weeks have been millenials...
For a few good laughs check out this YouTube from Jimmy Fallon about the latest Star Wars production:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9hHgBqdpOM
Cheers!

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 8:26 am 
FFIM-aholic

Let's face it - every generation has a certain % of slackers and wing nuts. There are characteristics that the other generations just don't get. Every generation has some gripes with another generation - I just found it, as Brian said, witty.

Star Wars - the gassy Rabbi :lol:

If you've never seen this movie - it's worth 1:40 of your time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZT6fziaIIw

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 9:08 am 
FFIM-aholic

A more accurate take.
http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... llennials/
Plenty of humor there too, on the dark side.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 11:14 am 
FFIM-aholic

Rory wrote:
All I have to add is, if you think it's been cold, you haven't been around these parts very long. I ran my tractor today and was leaving puddles of open water everywhere. December wasn't like this when I was a kid.

Rory, not trying to be argumentative here, but this reminds me a little of the GOP congressman who carried a snowball into the chambers to provide "evidence" against the global warming "hoax".
I grew up in Vermont and have lived in Maine 18 years. It's cold outside, and my shrinking woodpile is only one indicator. Another would be our decision to stop snowboarding at Sunday River last night an hour early, and we were even riding in Gondola cabins. I couldn't feel my face.
Snow insulates. I do excavation work for job prep and work a lot with other excavation contractors. Frost is strong, but it can't get through snow very well nor is it effective where springs or non-frozen lakes and ponds are located. Exposure to the sun is also a huge factor. Prior to our first snow, I frantically covered up winter waterfront project sites with frost blankets. Yesterday, I went to clear the snow off one of them. It is dominantly southwest exposure. The lake had just set up with ice. Outside of my covered area, beneath just a thin coating of snow, the sand was completely frost free. I could dig it as if it were July. Air temps were hovering in the low 20s.
Lots of factors beyond temps affect the influence of frost.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 5:45 am 
FFIM-aholic

no wonder there's problems, what the hell is a millennial? then you got your bycentenials, then obstentenials, no wonder you got problems. in the old days you had your jerks your bozos your good guys then there was the dumb sh-ts. it was easy, you knew who you wanted to fish with, certainly not that ass-whole. see, simple talk with words you can understand, and now Merry Christmas :D

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 7:41 am 
FFIM Addict

Read Cronkite's articles from WW2-- He is in a B-17 over Germany and writes about how ill kept, ill educated and totally ignorant the crew of the planes was- but how much courage they had! He actually writes that NONE of them could find places on a map, nor ever read literature or poetry--- but they could tune a .50 Browning and hit what they aimed at.

We were all super smart at the exact same time our father's knew we were too stupid to breed...and as we all remember, our father's got a LOT smarter about the time we got out of school-- so, the human condition is to be a disappointment to the older, and a pain to the younger.

Icarus was sure he knew what he was doing....Daedalus knew his generation were too vain and ignorant to be allowed out alone.... seems like that was a few years ago before Gen X.

Hutch