FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 1:44 pm 
FFIMer

I HAVENT COME ACROSS ANY LEFT HANDED TYING SCISSORS AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD A LEAD ON ANY, EITHER LOCAL OR ONLINE.

THANKS!!!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 4:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

Try to find some Gingher snippers, Perfect for either hand. I'v used them for years and yes i'm left handed.

Attachment:
Gingher.jpg
Gingher.jpg [ 13.25 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 4:58 pm 
FFIM Addict

There are some other models of nippers similar to the ones that Al mentions that have thumb holes that work well also. I think I paid $3 for a 3-pack on eBay a few years ago.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 4:58 pm 
FFIMer

Oh no. I hope this doesn't turn into a cast right/retrieve right topics. Do you tie right and trim left or tie left and trim left?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 9:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Oh no. I hope this doesn't turn into a cast right/retrieve right topics. Do you tie right and trim left or tie left and trim left?

Well I tie righty but clip thread with my left hand. I'm actually what they call bi-handed as I used both hands for many different tasks but I'm not ambidextrous because I can't do things equally with each hand. However, and I love this, I can cast righty or lefty equally as well but can't retrieve line with my right hand, have to switch hands.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 10:56 pm 
FFIMer

I tie scissors in hand, both with my right. Thumb and middle finger through the loops, thumb and index on the bobbin. Come to think of it, most tying scissors should be universal correct?

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 7:57 am 
FFIMer

I APPRECIATE THE RESPONSES GUYS!... HOWEVER, IF YOU THINK SCISSORS ARE UNIVERSAL OR THAT THE THUMBHOLE IS THE ISSUE... YOU ARE RIGHT HANDED :lol:

Take a 'normal' pair of household / office scissors and try cutting with your left hand. The material folds, binds, and doesn't cut well, if at all. With small detail scissors, such as those for fly tying, the problem is less dramatic, but its still not perfect. :evil:

You can tell what 'hand' a pair of scissors is by holding them in your hand, pointed away from you as typical, then open them, the blade on the right will be pointed upward... those are right handed scissors. the opposite applies to left handed.

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle...!" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 12:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

I hear what you're saying Subducker, but I use my Wiss Quick Clips in my left hand a fair amount and haven't noticed an issue. Give them a try- they're cheap enough to toss if you don't like them.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 3:05 pm 
FFIMer

I understand household scissors,but I would think the adjustable loop Anvil scissors would be fine, then again, I'm not left handed. I'm normal....
Any standard solid loop tying scissors suck period, I'm willing to guess they suck equally no matter what hand you use.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 8:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

While there are dozens of places to buy left handed scissors for normal home or office use the chance of finding a left handed scissor for fly tying is probably really low. In my opinion the best options are the Gingher or Weiss style.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 7:39 am 
FFIMer

thanks guys.

I guess ill just get a better pair of RH tying scissors... and use it as an excuse for my tying! :lol:

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am 
FFIM Addict

Sub......

I really thought you were just shitting us with this, but my wife is really into sewing and uses an extensive lot of different scissors, so I asked her about this. She said you were absolutely correct. Who knew??

Other than those ridiculously expensive German ones that Stone River (ne Hunters) sells for between $150 and & $200 the best scissors I’ve found for tying are the Dr. Slick Razors.......but I guess they’re right-handed. Again....who knew? You learn something new every day.

Dave M