FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wax
PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 2:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

All......

I noticed recently that Overtons Wonder Wax tubes are now selling again.

I rarely ever use wax, but in the old days Overtons was supposed to be head and shoulders above/better than all the others out there ( Loon; Gherke’s, etc.)

Now you can go out and spend $15.00 or so on a tube.......

Or you can go to any hobby store or supermarket and buy a tube of children’s glue sticks. I think I got three tubes for .99. Better than any wax you can buy for dubbing loops. I use the Dyna Whirl from Dyna King to twist the loop closed, but I’m quite certain any other tool probably works just fine.

My tip for the day.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Wax
PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 7:51 pm 
FFIMer

I had researched Overtons when it reappeared, might have been TGIF who posted about them a couple years ago?
Anyway, this is supposedly not left over tubes of the original, but the same formula. Through poking around there was some speculation that toilet bowl gaskets may have been the base for the original. Has anyone tried that before? As one who rarely uses dubbing wax, it doesn't matter much for my tying, but I'm always curious to hear what others say.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 12:09 pm 
FFIMer

As someone who has a tube of the original Overtons I can say it seems to be far superior then any other wax I've seen. I do not use it often, mostly on natural dubbing, but it is fantastic stuff.

Peter

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 12:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I still have half a tube of Umpqua that I have had for 10 years, and bought a spare when I moved to France that won’t likely get opened for another decade or so. I use mine for natural dubbing like hairs ear and for fixing jungle cock nails, but that is all fee and far between. That said, I was curious when it came back on the market. 15 bucks seems a little steep, but “best ever” carries som weight.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau