FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally water
PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 9:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

Today with a rain out from work and finally having water to fish in I Hit the Farmington albeit rather late. Water level was ideal, paths in had been flushed clear of leaves as last weeks rain event bumped flows up around the 3000 cfs area which puts water into the woods. Today was a about 350 cfs. Started out drifting a #18 tan caddis with a 20 pheasant tail dropper. Did see a couple rises but not near my offerings. Switched to a 20 BWO with a PT dropper then switched to a PT wet.

Not seeing any action I switched over to streamers. First on was a pattern I saw Terry Walsh tying up. That didn't garner any attention. Switching to a Dwayne Vigue designed pattern called a Roem that I tie up, I finally garnered a follow and a short strike. Couldn't muster any more attention so I started moving up river. Fished a few spots and switched up to a D. Vigue designed and tied Em's Image. I've had fish show interest in this fly in the fall in the past. Stripping through one pool I had another short strike. Another fisher was nymphing above and towards me. I was waiting for him to clear another run above him that has been a favorite late season spot for the Em's Image.

Finally the other fisherman was far enough downstream that I felt comfortable leaving my spot, Skirting through the woods I circled above him. The first area a quick drop below a large glide didn't about to anything. Below the fast water is a nice tight pool with undercuts, overhanging trees and a nice glide before another set of riffles with a pair of runs mixed below. Casting up into the fast water and hoping as the fly descended into the undercuts I was hoping I wouldn't snag a bittersweet vine that was dangling butt first into the flow. After numerous drifts finally the solid slam of a decent fish. I was working the fish in and had it close enough that I was reaching for my net and it rolled and threw the fly. After many more drifts it was obvious the pool was spooked. I worked back downstream working the water thoroughly without a tick. I began working the pool I'd worked when the nympher was above me as he had moved on. Going to the far lower end quarter where water comes in from the back side of an island that has some prime spawning gravel throughout its length. The first cast and I was into a fish. Making sure the hook was set I brought the fish in. He came in like a wet rag. When I saw the rainbow slam I figured that as soon as he saw me he'd explode. For some reason he just let me pretty much bring him straight to the net. A nice fish after a long drought.
Attachment:
IMG_2623 (1).jpg
IMG_2623 (1).jpg [ 51.69 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

On the way out realized could have had a Cast and Blast or Pheasant tail on the hoof.
Attachment:
IMG_2634 (2).jpg
IMG_2634 (2).jpg [ 21.87 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

Ron

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Finally water
PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm 

Wow, look at the size of that head - nice fish!

Post subject: Re: Finally water
PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 6:57 am 
FFIMer

Nice fish !!