FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forgotten flies
PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 12:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

All......

I was just down in the tying room whipping up another dozen bh PT’s (16’s) for my nymph Box and happened to look at a row in the top half of the box.

I’ve been carrying around a dozen and a half Dave’s Red Squirrel Nymphs ( both bead and non bead)......and I’d bet I haven’t tied one of those to my tippet in a decade......or more.

In the 80’s Whitlock had a column in almost every of Flyfishing Magazine......and he always harped on the Red Squirrel Nymph.......so much so that I called Feathercraft and bought an entire Red Squirrel skin.........which I still have.

Now, truth be told, the Dave’s Red Squirrel is nothing but a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear tied with Squirrel instead of hare......but it ( supposedly) had magic qualities. (Yeah.....right).

Why in holy blooming hell have I been carrying around a dozen and a half of them if I don’t use them??

Another nymph that used to be my “go to” is the Copper John. That used to be my secret weapon......when almost nobody in Maine had even heard of it. Now that the CJ is Umpqua’s #1 selling fly.....and every trout in America has seen hundreds of them go by their nose......and probably stung them several times.......the CJ has almost become a last resort fly for me.

Same with the ubiquitous Green Rock Worm larva that imitates the Ryacophila Caddis. I have just about zero faith in that fly. I used to use it religiously........until I realized that if I caught a trout it was almost always on the other fly. Duh.......

A fly that has sort of gone out of style that I DO have faith in ( in the Fall, especially) is the Partridge and Orange Soft Hackle. That’s a great Brook Trout and Landlocked Salmon Fly.

Hopefully the water will drop soon......as I’m tying flies today instead of Fishing. I’ve got all winter to tie......the fall season is rapidly coming to a close.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Forgotten flies
PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 1:45 pm 

I've caught a pile of trout on green rock worms and still do. Copper Johns, too, which I fish more or less interchangeably with flashback PT's. Copper John when I want a little more weight.

A "combo" of the two--Copper Johns with green wire, both dark green and chartreuse--is highly effective, too.

On the other hand, with the exception of a very large version with a soft hackle color and a big copper bead, which is effective only in ponds, fished as a jig, I've never done much on hare's ear nymphs, bead head or otherwise.

Don't think I've ever taken a fish on a Quill Gordon, either. Lots of size 12 and 14 mayfly patterns fish well for me, but that one never has.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 6:44 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hornbergs - NEVER produce for me but I am 100% confident that the day I leave them home will be THE day. What the heck - they don't take up THAT much room. CJ's, green larva - both still get a good shot from me - still pretty productive. Want some blasphemy? On the Andro 2 weeks ago in pretty high water. I was hooking fish on damn near everything except 1 fly.....ZERO love for the black leech...... :shock:

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:11 am 
FFIMer

Geeze... I probably have more flies in my fly boxes that I've never, or hardly ever, used. Here's the ones I can think of.

Brassie
Red fox squirrel nymph
Prince nymph
Copper Johns
Crane fly nymphs
Rainbow Warrior
Hickeys auto emerger
WD-40
Quigley Cripple
Slump buster
Mickey Finn

I'm sure there's a few more... I enjoy tying flies and I enjoy tying new patterns but the majority of them don't work for me.

Peter

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 1:03 pm 

Geez, Pete, that's about half my go-to list. Copper John, Brassie, and Prince are all early patterns out of the nymph box. Rainbow warrior if those don't work. I have a Quiggly-based hex emerger that is my goto on the hex hatch.

Believe it or not, I was once pond fishing on a classic "doesn't matter what you fish with so long as you fish the right spot and get your fly down in the zone" pond in Maine when the trout were suddenly selective on Mickey Finns.

I'd been catching an occasional fish on a this and that mix of streamers and wet flies with sinking line. Things got slower and slower until I put on a Mickey Finn and started taking fish every few casts. When I broke off the fly on a log, I figured pattern didn't matter and tied on Black Nose Dace, then a Wood Special, then my favorite orange Muddler, and never caught a trout until I went back to a Mickey Finn.

Never caught a fish on one since that day, and probably haven't fished on in a decade, but was glad I had them that day.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 3:03 pm 
FFIMer

That's my problem Jeff... I have all these patterns I don't use but I still drag them around every trip, just in case. I do believe that, for the most part, pattern is not all that important. Size, color, and most importantly, presentation.

Peter