FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm report
PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 7:26 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Our power came back on about an hour ago. For those still in the dark, I feel for ya.
Thanks to the cmp crews for their hard work!
Tried to fish ultra high water today. Nez wasn't happening, way too high. My second spot was much better condition and I even spotted fish...but before I could cast, I dropped my rod off some
Granite slabs and it broke. Lesson learned...always bring a backup.
Drove quite a few miles, trees and lines down everywhere. Casco was especially tore up. I think this might be the worst wind damage I have seen in Maine, worse than Irene.
A buddy reported the Wild River reached 30,000 cfs and took out the Rte. 2 bridge. Crazy!!!
Best of luck to all.

Post subject: Re: Storm report
PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 7:56 pm 
FFIMer

I heard the same about the Wild but I heard the bridge washed out was in NH just across the line. I'd love to see some pics/video of the Wild. That is like a biblical amount of water. Cheers

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:19 am 
FFIM Addict

In sunny Vassalboro, there is a barn ROOF across the wires and road- yes folks, the roof blew off- flew across a field, and draped over the wires and across the road. The insurance adjuster said to "leave it there until I can come over-but might be a few days"...sweet.

We were boxed in on 4 of the 5 ways to our house from the main road...still only one way out this morning. I doubt I will see power for a week. And did I mention the generator has emotional issues and refused to run in a huff....it now lives at the repair shop-just in time to not run for me. double sweet.

Hutch

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:28 am 
FFIMer

HUTCH,

I JUST GOT POWER BACK, AS IM RIGHT ON RT-17.
IF YOU EVER NEED TO STOP BY FOR CHARGING BATTERIES, SHOWERS, FILLING WATER JUGS, OR STORING FOOD. WHATEVER.

392 READFIELD ROAD
MANCHESTER

217-7361

TAKE CARE,

COURTNEY

Last edited by 733SUBDUCKER on October 31st, 2017, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:33 am 
FFIM-aholic

Lots of damage up north too. Many trees down and lines down. Still no power. Saw shingles missing, siding missing, a boat lift at a local dealer blew off its perch and across the road. Not looking forward to seeing the damage in the sugarbush.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 9:09 am 
FFIMer

Hutch wrote:
In sunny Vassalboro, there is a barn ROOF across the wires and road- yes folks, the roof blew off- flew across a field, and draped over the wires and across the road. The insurance adjuster said to "leave it there until I can come over-but might be a few days"...sweet.

We were boxed in on 4 of the 5 ways to our house from the main road...still only one way out this morning. I doubt I will see power for a week. And did I mention the generator has emotional issues and refused to run in a huff....it now lives at the repair shop-just in time to not run for me. double sweet.

Hutch

My mother reported that the metal shed that my father bought at Sears about thirty years ago has been relocated to the tidal brook behind the house. I remember the day we put that horrid thing together. As they are now happily divorced, it's likely my job to remove it. If I don't get to it in time, I think I'll rent it out as a smelt camp this winter.

The other Courtney.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 11:49 am 

733SUBDUCKER wrote:
HUTCH,

I JUST GOT POWER BACK, AS IM RIGHT ON RT-17.
IF YOU EVER NEED TO STOP BY FOR CHARGING BATTERIES, SHOWERS, FILLING WATER JUGS, OR STORING FOOD. WHATEVER.

392 READFIELD ROAD
MANCHESTER

217-7361

TAKE CARE,

COURTNEY

Now that is promising. Send them up the Worthing Road and over to Scribner Hill, would you? :wink:

I've seen some tree crews out in our area, but no sign of CMP or other line workers.

As of this morning, the massive white pine was still hanging in the power lines and blocking half of the Prescott Road at the one end of Scribner Hill, and last night Route 135 was still blocked off by Readfield FD at the other end. I'm guessing it will be a while for us.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 12:31 pm 
FFIMer

yeah, that sucks. lots of tree work still to do.

Jeff, you can also feel free to pop over if you need anything at all. I have plenty of room in my freezer chest too.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 1:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks Courtney!!! Nice offer, but I think the generator will be coming home w/ me tonight-and I plan to work it to death.

Hutch

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch wrote:
Thanks Courtney!!! Nice offer, but I think the generator will be coming home w/ me tonight-and I plan to work it to death.

Hutch

Hopefully the generator runs better than that outboard motor we've all heard so much about over the eons.

:lol:

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 8:13 pm 
FFIMer

Still no power here in Brunswick. I live on the edge of town right next to Durham... we're low priority. The main road near me still has 4 power poles across the road, the other road, where my power comes from, has a dozen trees laying on the lines. I'm not expecting to see power till at least Saturday. Brunswick was 100% out Monday, nothing in town had power. The generator is worth it's weight in gold latly. Between the hum of the enengine I can hear it saying "feed me... more gas now!" Ever trip to town involves filling gas cans. The Androscoggin in Lisbon is raging, close to highest I've ever seen it, 50,000 CFS or better. We had 2" diameter pine limbs driven 4" into the ground yesterday. Crazy.

Peter

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 9:18 pm 
FFIM Addict

Got up at 0200 today drove home to Maine worked on generator about 2 hours and a half to get it running so my wife could have power. Cut some trees loose from their stumps to allow stumps to re-root. Cleared one expired balsam off a birch to give it a lease on life again. Raked the tree limbs and twigs from driveway. Left home at 1430 to drive back to CT. Ended up being rear-ended and wacking car in front of me. Had the least damage of four cars involved. Two left on tow trucks. Now back in CT for 0400 wake-up call.
Don't despair probably saw 100+ line trucks headed north, plus tree crews. Some trucks I'm sure had guys I've worked with in the past.
Just remember now and whenever "If you enjoy having lights; "Thank a lineman" We're easy.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 10:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Don't despair probably saw 100+ line trucks headed north, plus tree crews. Some trucks I'm sure had guys I've worked with in the past.
Just remember now and whenever "If you enjoy having lights; "Thank a lineman" We're easy.

Ron

That is good news Ron. I drove to Massachusetts and back today and only saw two out-of-state line trucks on the road (both from New Brunswick). Not seeing help convoying to Maine kind of left a sinking feeling. I Got home to refuel the generator, but had trouble restarting it. 5 hours later, light dawns on Marblehead, and I realize a trip to THE gas station WITH power (not a short endeavor) to buy a bottle of 10w-30 is in order. Two capfuls of oil to top the reservoir off, and the generator is back up and running. Low oil sensor, not on my problem radar.

Does your line crew take side gigs? Just kidding, sort of.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 10:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
A buddy reported the Wild River reached 30,000 cfs and took out the Rte. 2 bridge. Crazy!!!
Best of luck to all.

The Wild actually topped out over 40,000 cfs. To put that in perspective, the Andro down in Auburn isn't flowing much more than that, and it's a big river by the time it gets to Auburn. 40,000 cfs on the Wild is a 100 yr plus magnitude event.

We've gotten over 9" of rain in the last week at my house, not far from the Sheepscot. Yet flows on the Sheepscot are well within the range of what might be produced by a decent summer thunderstorm event or a spring rain. That says something about how dry the area was before the rain, as that's a lot of plant uptake and groundwater recharge to offset the water balance.

The good news- the local duck pond is full for the late duck season opener, and there are ducks.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 5:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

So are all those upper Andy trout now swimming in merrymeeting bay? :shock:
The bridge taken out wasn't over the wild but further west in Shelburne NH. Still has blocked Rte.2, commuters from Maine working in NH must take the 2 1/2 hr trip down to fryeburg through Conway and up through Jackson to Gorham.
I still haven't come around to the generator investment. Too much money for too little return. We hardly ever lose power, not even once a year. In those rare instances, I figure it's not too bad roughing it. And Candlelight monopoly games are quality family character building opportunities.
I can always make coffee on the woodstove too.