FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Storm report
PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 11:23 am 
FFIM Addict

Interesting CMP map--with the numbers and ETA for repairs (needed)...my area has a time table of 10pm 11/4 as the earliest time for hope to have power. The generator did NOT come home as it is in a long line...so, we have to go pick up a friend's tonight- which is fine as she has never lost power in this storm.

Ron- man, you are a tuff guy to run that length of day-and survive a crash and STILL expect to go to work at dawn! Line guys may be easy- but they are also rugged!

Hutch

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 11:26 am 
FFIM Addict

In the Trees-!!

Ahhh- you made me smile---as (loud knocking on wood) all of the motors are running exceptionally well- in fact, my oldest 8hp is growing to be my favorite motor-mostly because it starts every time! You made me think of how things were-and how they are now...I like now.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 12:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

CMP is now saying maybe by 10 PM on 11/3, maybe. But that's a start. Most of my town is scheduled to be back online today.

I feel bad for my dog. He runs the lawn, sniffing for that ONE perfect leaf to pee on. With the wind, the leaves have shifted and scents long forgotten have reemerged, leaving him to really have to work to find his preferred leaf. At least he doesn't have to worry about the power at least. And he's getting lots of exercise.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 2:02 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hutch wrote:
In the Trees-!!

Ahhh- you made me smile---as (loud knocking on wood) all of the motors are running exceptionally well- in fact, my oldest 8hp is growing to be my favorite motor-mostly because it starts every time! You made me think of how things were-and how they are now...I like now.

It's funny what will trigger a memory....that was quite some time ago (how things were).

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 4:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

My wife got her power restored around noon today. Long before I’ll have a chance to recover. Rushed back for a job orientation this AM. Plus was supposed to work a double shift today, but the RR couldn’t support us tonight and tossed us to the street. Would rather tonight watch the WS.
Hunter, our dogs are enjoying all the pears that the wind stripped off our tree. The youngest had all of the low ones stripped off the limbs she could jump to. The older dog would pick up the drops she brought down. Neither liked not having power befor the generator was working. They couldn’t cope with the lack of sound or light in the house. They knew it wasn’t normal. Spoiled brats.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 6:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

We had a freak snow storm in mid October in NH six years ago, and lost power for 10 days. It looked like Armageddon and it took me a month of weekends to cut and split the trees down in our yard. I remember the 3 of us in bed that night, listening to the trees crack and fall all around the house. Addie was 9 months old, and I had to drive over down power lines to get a cooler of frozen breast milk to a friend's freezer (young parents remember that stuff is like gold). We got a generator for Christmas that year, which has been tuned up and run out of gas religiously ever year, and for 6 years it hasn't once powered a single thing. I think ofnit like life insurance. The best money spent that younhope you never cashnin on.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 7:13 pm 
FFIMer

Power back on up on the hill... 8)
as of 6:00 pm last night

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm 

7 am this morning in Manchester.

Huntress was still in the dark this morning, and some of my neighbors.

Many thanks to Subducker, who has an entire sirloin worth of steaks, a pile of tomatoes, beans and broccoli from the garden, and 30 pounds of blueberries in his freezer for me. As soon as my freezer is down to temp, I'll be over to pick them up.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 9:03 pm 
FFIMer

Still dark here in the far corner of Brunswick. Coming home from some limited grocery shopping tonight there were tree crews clearing the lines a few roads away. However there are still half a dozen trees on the lines bringing power to my part of town. Generator is keeping the fridge cold and most of the lights on. And as I was mid way threw typing this power was restored! 900pm Friday night. Hope everyone who's out comes on soon.

Peter

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 9:08 am 
FFIM Addict

CMP is telling me power should be up and running at my house mid day today. We'll see.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 10:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks to a French speaking power crew, who spoke no discernible English when they stopped by to troubleshoot my route a while ago, I now have power. Thank you. 6 days, 11 hours without centralized power.