FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally water
PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:57 am 
FFIMer

Got right at 5 inches in the rain gauge here. Bet this brings out the stocking trucks. I'm worried about what 2 years of drought in a row is going to do to our fishery. Comments?

Post subject: Re: Finally water
PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 9:07 am 
FFIMer

Talked to a biologist last week. They have fish, but are looking at long term rainfall before dumping any.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 6:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

They've been stocking for two weeks. Get after em, dumb fish equals fast fishing :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 7:09 pm 
FFIMer

We're chasing the stocking trucks? Hey , grab your Zebcos!

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm 
FFIM-aholic

hatch wrote:

Or you can just use standard ff equipment. May not appeal to the traditionalist, but there's no shame in having fun.
Plenty of opportunity for growth as well. Drag a streamer around a pod of stockers and count the short strikes. You're going to have to earn the few to the net, as clumsy as they are. But you learn the precise way to retrieve a fly when fish are short striking. It's all timing. You almost have to count once you see the wake behind your fly, in anticipation of the fish turning. Rhythm, pace, direction, all details you can hone. All of it catalogued into your fish brain for future retrieval.
I love stocking season.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:02 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
They've been stocking for two weeks. Get after em, dumb fish equals fast fishing :mrgreen:

Maybe in your part of the state and in ponds. Not everywhere.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:08 pm 
FFIMer

hatch wrote:

I didn't see anyone say anything about chasing stocking trucks. Don't like a stocked fishery? No more fishing the Kennebec, Upper Dam, Rangeley Lake, Sandy, Magalloway, Yup, Magalloway. You don't really think Ike went up there without the state making sure he had plenty of fish to catch do you?

Anyone have a list of 100% genetically pure,wild, fisheries in Maine? Meaning ones that have NEVER been stocked?
I know of plenty, but too many people turn up their noses at 6" trout.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Roundabout, true that most stocking has been lakes/ponds though quite a few rivers too already. But show me an inlet to a stocked lake or pond which has flow, and I'll show you fish in moving water. Problem is, most of these inlet streams are general law and as such, are closed.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 9:17 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
Roundabout, true that most stocking has been lakes/ponds though quite a few rivers too already. But show me an inlet to a stocked lake or pond which has flow, and I'll show you fish in moving water. Problem is, most of these inlet streams are general law and as such, are closed.

There are general law inlets that are open. (Inlets,not tribs)
And yes there are fish there. This brings up an interesting perspective. Anyone can look at the lawbook and determine what's open. So naming a stocked fishery isn't spotburning right? Not necessarily so. To figure out the inlets takes time and very few do it. Now, in the second year of drought, folks who enjoy fishing year round or who had a slow season because of the drought understandably would like to find fish. Some of these waters have a known population of wild, native and stocked trout. Still think it's no big deal to name a water ( I know you didn't say or imply that, I'm trying to argue my point.)
Some of those stocked fish hold over, some quite well. Some of them go into the lakes, and come back out or vise versa.
For some to assume this is "chasing a stocking truck" No, not really. Although there are those who do. That issue could be easily addressed by not publishing stocking reports until 2,4,6 months after the fact. But we're about "creating angling opportunities" here in Maine.....
I am in no way advocating stocking, certainly not stocking over wild.
The long and short of it is stocking is a fact of life in Maine, It has been for hundreds of years even in places people think have never been altered by man. All in all, you have to be able to look at both ends and find the middle.
I yield the soapbox.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 5:46 am 
FFIMer

I saw two stocking trucks parked at an eatery in western Maine yesterday afternoon. (south of rt 2)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 7:12 am 
FFIM-aholic

How can a general law water inlet be open past September 30? The lake, sure, in southern zones general law lakes are open until frozen. But the inlets are closed. I have discussed this with our loca warden and it's a judgement call on lake/stream but if it looks like the stream he will ticket you. Flow rates, bridges, coves and other shoreline details are used to determine if you are in the stream or the lake

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 7:50 am 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
How can a general law water inlet be open past September 30? The lake, sure, in southern zones general law lakes are open until frozen. But the inlets are closed. I have discussed this with our loca warden and it's a judgement call on lake/stream but if it looks like the stream he will ticket you. Flow rates, bridges, coves and other shoreline details are used to determine if you are in the stream or the lake

I can think of three off the top of my head. Check the lawbook and the gazetteer. I've also discussed this with two wardens on one particular body of water. Both said yes, open. Think "thoroughfare".

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 8:18 am 
FFIMer

water is up on my favor river hope they stock so I can do some fishing next month instead of just practice my casting which I need to do for sure tight lines

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 10:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

So all thoroughfares under general law are open as part of their corresponding lake?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 10:20 am 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
So all thoroughfares under general law are open as part of their corresponding lake?

I wouldn't say that, and I don't know. I'm only talking about a couple that I know of.This one particular one is named a river, but considered a thoroughfare. I'm a pretty big advocate of not spreading false information, so if anyone thinks something might fall into this category CHECK FIRST.