FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 17th, 2017, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Finally water
PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 10:52 am 
FFIM-aholic

Totally agree with checking first before fishing. I need to call my local warden to see about a few local options but if thouroughfares are open I know a few I need to prospect!
I've noticed a strange behavior on my local favorite lake stocking location. The new fish will hold within a few hundred yards of their stocking location, and holdovers will be found there as well. One of the more exciting aspects of fishing stocking locations on lakes - returning holdovers that can go well north of 20". But what always happens is they hold until the outlets, in this case Songo Locks and the dam at Sebago Lake Basin, open. Once this occurs, usually mid-late November, huge numbers of the fish from the stocking location move across the northern shore of the lake and enter the inlet stream, putting them out of reach, and hang in there most of the winter and even through early spring.
It doesn't seem to be related to inlet flow, which is sporadic, but rather to the opening of the outlet.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 11:23 am 
FFIMer

I've found the same thing, and a lot of those fish end in the river in December. Not many folks "chasing stocking trucks" that time of year.
In one case, the outflow river of a chain of lakes/ponds used be closed, the ponds open,while the thoroughfare between two ponds to the north in the same system was open but not indicated as such in the lawbook. A few years ago the lower section of river was opened, but the change was not noted in the lawbook.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 10:33 am 
FFIM Addict

One time I managed to google up some archived Maine stocking records from a hundred years or more ago. It was shocking how many fish were stocked around Maine back then, the numbers dwarfed today's efforts. Of course, lots of people think those were the "good old days".

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 8:34 pm 
FFIMer

I'm hoping for some late fall stocking on the mid coast. I don't think I can take another fishless winter. Unfortunately my fishery depends on stocking. I don't have the time to drive 3-4hrs. to fish. After a couple of weeks of hard pressure the fish can become pretty picky and fun to fish for.
Does anyone know what is going on with the stocking report? There hasn't been an update since 9/15.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 8:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

TMarchetti wrote:
I'm hoping for some late fall stocking on the mid coast. I don't think I can take another fishless winter. Unfortunately my fishery depends on stocking. I don't have the time to drive 3-4hrs. to fish. After a couple of weeks of hard pressure the fish can become pretty picky and fun to fish for.
Does anyone know what is going on with the stocking report? There hasn't been an update since 9/15.

Fun indeed.
I'm seeing October stockings through all counties. Maybe check the list from a different device.
I'm probably in the minority in that I like the list and the rapid updates. This time of year, most sites are lakes/ponds and in most cases, anglers would have to fish a ton to hit all the possibilities within less than a two hour drive. It's a different game with different tactics and really kind of a breath of fresh air after battling the moving water crowds of September and October. While most are in the November woods, I'm still flinging fly line around in solitude.
There are beautiful stillwater basins that I might never have fished if not for the list.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 9:32 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
TMarchetti wrote:

Fun indeed.
I'm seeing October stockings through all counties. Maybe check the list from a different device.
I'm probably in the minority in that I like the list and the rapid updates. This time of year, most sites are lakes/ponds and in most cases, anglers would have to fish a ton to hit all the possibilities within less than a two hour drive. It's a different game with different tactics and really kind of a breath of fresh air after battling the moving water crowds of September and October. While most are in the November woods, I'm still flinging fly line around in solitude.
There are beautiful stillwater basins that I might never have fished if not for the list.

Thanks, I have checked with my phone, my wife's MacBook and my pc. None of the pages have been updated since 9/15. I'm using the link on ifw's website. Are you getting there a different way? If so, would you mind posting the link?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 10:16 pm 
FFIM-aholic

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boatin ... eport.html
Hope that works. Probably blows a few tops as well.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 10:38 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/fish-stocking-report.html
Hope that works. Probably blows a few tops as well.

That works. Thanks
Not sure why anyone should take issue.