FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tying......
PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 12:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

All......

A while back I looked at my mish-mash of a nymph box and thought “Hmmnnnnn”.

I’ve got everything from #8 Jumbo Johns to Cranefly Nymphs that. Tied up as a result of reading an article in Fly Tyler Magazine......and have never even tied on to my tippet. ( insert face palm here)

So I just decided that since I use bead head Pheasant Tails more than all other nymphs combined I might just as well fill the entire lower portion of my C&F nymph Box with just bh PT’s.

I started on that journey yesterday. I’ve got all the #20s tied up ( two dozen in each row)......and still have to tie up two dozen 18s, 16’s, 14’s, 12’s and 10’s......only 10 dozen to go (grin)

I’ll probably keep the top half of the box for various and sundry Stones, Caddis, Glo Bugs, iso’s, etc.

For small PT’s I prefer the Frank Sawyer version ( all pheasant) but for the 16’s and above I really like the Al Troth Western US version with peacock herl for the thorax.......and saltwater flashabou for the wing case.

I’m well aware that a lot of tiers don’t like bead heads, but I put them on almost all my nymphs. I figure if I’m not bumping bottom I’m just not fishing them.......unless I’m imitating emerges during a hatch trailing a Sparkle Dun......those don’t have bead heads.

For putting on beads.......especially on small hooks.....I owe Joel A I real debt of graditude. We were tying on a Western trip and the method he uses is so simple I just face palmed and thought “Duh......why didn’t I think of that???”

I used to have beads all over the floor of my tying room......and it’s such a problem for most tiers that Feathecraft even sells a tool called a “bead grabber”. I hadn’t bought one.......but I was thinking about it until I watched Joel just lick the end of his finger and pick up the bead with the wetted finger. It sticks. Problem solved.

Headed back down to my tying room.......only ten dozen more bh PT’s to go.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Tying......
PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 12:32 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've used the wetted finger method, but find I drop beads often. So- I usually just dump a pile of beads on my open palm and proceed to bead hooks from there by rolling the bead around with the hook point until I can slide the bead onto the hook. The other method I sometime use is by using a set of bead tweezers to pick up individual beads and thread the bead onto a hook. Either method works well.

I add beads to a portion of my smaller nymphs, and generally all of my larger ones. My thought is shy fish don't always like beads- so having a mix of beaded and unbeaded flies in the smaller sizes helps. Weight can be added elsewhere in the chain. With all of that said, I haven't been nymphing much lately- as my time on the water has been limited. I've either been throwing streamers or fishing dries.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 2:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I Ann with you on the "palm full" method... and I do them all at once, factory line style.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:15 am 
FFIMer

Hunter, I blame the shy fish not liking beads on the type of bead. Gold usually seems to be the culprit. I think it's too much flash, particularly in shallow water. I think tyers in general have a tendency to get a little heavy handed with flash in general.

Dave M, I've decided this year to tie only the dozen patterns I fish regularly, and lots of them. We'll see how it goes. I don't think the tyer in all of us can resist tying too many... That goes hand in hand with the flyfishers fear of being on the water and worrying about not having the right pattern.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 2:06 pm 
FFIM-aholic

As I always say, it is much better be asked for one of your patterns by a buddy, then the (cringe) other way around.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 4:10 pm 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
As I always say, it is much better be asked for one of your patterns by a buddy, then the (cringe) other way around.

Too proud to ask. Make it do our do without. That being said, the truck is always full of flyboxes. If it came to that, I'd double back.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 4:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

It is rare that I will ask...and around October 14th this year, I watched an older man just flat TEACH everyone in the river how to land fish on a soft hackle...and I wanted to ask what he was throwing ( I could see HOW he was fishing it- which I would copy)...but I could NOT make myself ask.

As for beads....why don't they make BLACK beads anymore? They are often dark gray...or some color close, but NOT black.

There is no such thing as too many flies- never.

Hutch

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 8:31 am 
FFIMer

Hutch wrote:
As for beads....why don't they make BLACK beads anymore? They are often dark gray...or some color close, but NOT black.

There is no such thing as too many flies- never.

Hutch

I do have some black beads... they are all tungsten, couldn't find any black brass beads.

And you are correct, no such thing as too many flies. I have tried to cut back on the amount I carry, couldn't do it.
I try to cut back on the number of patterns I tie and carry, couldn't do it.... even though I really only fish the same few patterns. PT, Micro Madison Midge, and a big stone that's about it for nymphs. I fish 2 wets, olive soft hackle and a blew on blue. 1 streamer a SHS, and a few dries, sparkle dun, ESP, X2, and recently added an ant acid. I bet I easily have 1500 flies on me when I hit the river.

I'm a firm believer that, in Maine at least, pattern is not a huge deal. Size and presentation is. But I still can't go to the river without 9 or 10 fly boxes crammed in my vest.

Peter

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 2:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave,
When you tie Frank Sawyers version do you do it traditionally with just wire and pheasant tail? How about beads on this pattern?
Started tying a bunch during yesterdays rain. Farmington went from 160 CFS Sat. which was a bump up over the last month to 2300 CFS now and slowly dropping. Ideal in my book is 400-500. May be fishable by week-end, but the Catskill Flyfishing Center and Museum "The Art of Flyfishing" show is this week-end in Danbury. Will be able to make it hopefully even though have to work Saturday and Sat. night. Great show for anyone that may be in the neighborhood.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 2:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
Dave,
When you tie Frank Sawyers version do you do it traditionally with just wire and pheasant tail? How about beads on this pattern?

Ron

Ron......

No. I tried that method and the damn wire broke every single time. Too frustrating for me. I put on the bead and use either 8/0 Uni tan or Uni brown thread. For the wire I use either Brassie or small. I tied up another dozen 18’s this morning. We still have power here so my tying lamp is working, I need to go down to my tying room and tie up another dozen while we still have power.

Yes on the beads. Either a 1.5 mm or 2 mm on the 20’s and 18’s, and 3 mm on the 16’s and 14’s.

I was looking in my Buddy’s nymph Box last week and he was embarrassed telling me that he hadn’t put legs on the PT’s. I almost never put legs on them as the naturals swim with their legs tucked in next to their bodies ( on BWO’s) so the trout don’t see the legs anyway. The legs catch fisherman......not fish. I suppose if I was selling them I’d put legs on them.......but not on my own I don’t

Dave M

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 3:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks, just tried one with wire. It broke at the bead, I then restarted did a small build-up for thorax pulled back fibers and managed a whip finish with the wire. More headache than worth in my world.

Ron

Sir John Buchan