FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Closer at GLS
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 3:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

n almost lint filled post-- worth the paper it is printed on.

As I have for the last decade or so, I took one of my “personal days” to close on GLS. I had a serious case of camp envy, as Dad and his cronies had been at camp all week- generally pontificating to whomever slowed down long enough to get trapped into a conversation as they passed the cedar chairs.

I left school at about 2pm and drove north, and after 2 hours, I realized I was not screaming down the Stud Mill road...more like poking. I wasn’t hunting (no gun), I was just slow. I got to camp and nobody was in residence, so I slipped into the cable pool. I could see fish, and I could move them….out of the way of whatever I threw near. In the end, I landed a 10” slamon on a dry fly- and headed in to start dinner.

We had a fine meal, and all were in bed early...and I was up and in the water early after taking my truck down to the picnic pool and Dad having given me a ride back upstream….I worked back down on the far side. I moved and landed no fish- none in the step falls, none in the eel hole...nothing in Bill White’s pool, and nothing in the wiggle rock pool. I guess I was unsurprised, and honestly, I wasn’t that upset as I mostly expected to take the collar. I almost walked by the Y pool (or, as I think of it, Drew’s Pool- as my best memories of that young man were in that pool)- but I decided I had to fish it in respect to him...and I caught a short 10” salmon...and a 4 inch bass. I was on a streak!

Then I hooked bottom, and it headed upstream...foul hooked a 18 inch hen. 2 casts later- same deal- foul hooked another on nymphs- switched to streamers to stop impaling fish and had a chase to my feet on a Holt fly. Then, nothing---it was exciting for a while! Back to nymphs before I left the pool, and cast just to see- fair landed a strong 19” female salmon.

I should have quit then on an end on fish.

Fished all the way down to the meadow- and while I spotted a few fish in the picnic area and the ‘Tub, no fish. Drove to top of the river and KNEW I had a working plan of fishing the heavy water above the bridge...looking for an end on fish. 1 hour later---hooked up, and lost it. Didn’t count.

2 hours later...Upham’s rock. Finally had a chance to step into another guys’ footsteps…

3rd cast and hooked a 20” plus male- killer big. To hand. Done. 2 PM.

Back to camp, conviviality and beverages...butterflied leg of lamb on the grill w/ green salad, baby reds and french bread.

Saturday morning, by 7:30 my “friends and family” were gone….and me left holding the mop. Actually, I told them to scoot, as I knew the level of CLEAN camp needed if the wife was going to be the re next time. Washed, scrubbed, laundry, Murphy’s on wood, bathroom cleaning (yuck!), loading my stuff (where did all this **** COME from?)...vacuum, lock and load.

On the road...and it was the HARDEST drive home I have ever had. The weight of the end of this season was awful. Dad has turned 82, and has significantly lost weight and strength...The flatlander twins crossed the 70 year old rubicon...Parker is eligible for AARP...and I can see the shadow of my 60th year. I can see the loss of time to come- and I MISSED the future times on that loved water. All too soon, the season is over….and the spring is SO long ahead that I fear the time will run out for fishing and being at camp for any more of my connections…

I drove back the stud mill road, and it was just country song sad. I was in a self pity funk that didn’t end for the rest of the weekend...and I’m not sure it has ended totally yet.

Having such a mindset seems to be more common on here than just me---Dave M sounds the same march as I do...on the other board, Dryfly sounds much the same…

Youth is wasted on the young...but wisdom is wasted by the old- rage against it boys- and fish as hard as your knees will let you-

Hutch

(I’ll be at the Outlet next weekend- can’t wait!)

Post subject: Re: Closer at GLS
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 7:56 pm 

Enough with the navel pity funk. It's duck season! Let's get some dates on the calendar to test my gimpy knee.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 11:07 pm 
FFIMer

Speaking of knees, I took my torn meniscus up for the last three days to Hutch's water. Did a 4 hour stint Wednesday an 8 hour ordeal Thursday and closed out Friday at the Hatchery wall until dark. Two or three fish each day but at least they were all big, mature and most were leapers. Had to resort to a golden retriever for my last go home fish but I got him right at dark on Friday. Now that I'm home I am questioning why I stressed that knee as much as I did. I guess its because I don't want to break a tradition, and yes there is that little deep down thought of, is this the last time I get to do this?

PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 7:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch,
Great post. Can't believe another summer season is in the can. Although the temps aren't showing that it's late October.
Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 9:26 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great read.
I can't help but think this might have been written after game 7 in Houston though. Those of us on the good side of the fence more easily shrug these things off :P we've been conditioned that way (mookie Wilson's little grounder to, and past, first was 31 yrs ago today).
Seriously, poor fishing has the same affect though. Conversely good fishing has the opposite influence. But great job capturing the melancholy of life's fleeting moments. West Grand is this weeks' Lake Woebegone.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 10:50 am 
FFIM Addict

Fishing as hard as your knees will let you is very good advice.

I was talking to a friend on the EO last week. He told me he’s a couple of weeks shy of his 75th birthday. I’m now six weeks shy of my 64th. Neither of us wade nearly as well as we used to......

BUT we’re still wading......and that’s the important part.

I was on the phone with another Buddy yesterday planning a few days, if possible, on the Spring Creeks in Livingston next summer before I meet up with other Buddies to hit the Missouri and the Big Horn.

I’ll fish as long as my knees, back, and other various and sundry parts hold out.

I may now have to put on my 3.5 cheaters to tie flies.......but I’ll be falling out of my chair before I ever stop doing that.

It’ll still be a very long time before I resort to “Fishing” from my laptop if I have any control over that.

Fish on, my friends!

Dave M