FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reasonable expectations
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 4:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

What are a reasonable amount of days you can expect out of a pair of waders before leakage. I'm aware all waders eventually leak. I'm also aware user habits are as varied as the options on the market. But I would like to get two good seasons out of a pair of waders before I have issues, provided I carry and store/dry them properly. For me, that's about 50+- days per year or 100 days total.
I've Never taken a pair the distance, so maybe I need to change my expectations.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm 
FFIM-aholic

8 seasons+ on the Simms Guides. That breaks down to $50 per year of use. And that pair I was fishing 50-60 days a year. Spend the cash , baby....you'll get your money's worth.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 6:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

At your level of use.....four years without a leak, then three or four more years after you patch the leaks. Simms Guides will almost always do that. Mine are on year six. They’ve been patched by Simms......and still no leakage. I’m hoping to get two more years out of them. I paid (I think...it’s been a while) $400......so that will be give/take $50/year. Really can’t beat that.....and I beat the living #### out of them.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 7:50 pm 
FFIMer

Simms G3s, year five. Worth every penny. I'll never buy a different wader.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 9:09 am 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks for the input. That's the way I was leaning but good to hear.
I think of waders much the same as I do of goretex shells for winter sports. They take a similar abuse. I have owned two north face xcr gore tex parkas since 2004, one is finally toast after becoming a work jacket and the other is still bone dry in rotation. Both jackets went north of $400 and were well worth it.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 10:32 am 
FFIMer

I wear Orvis guide waders this is my second year probably 60 days total. So far, so good. Before that I had a pair of cheap Cabelas waders with no problems for three years.

I was on the Salmon river the 9th-10th of this month as talked to a fellow who had been guiding there for years. Granted, he doesn't see the woods and brush we do so I couldn't speak to punctures but he buys a $99 pair of Frogtogs every year. He never, goes one day into the second year to try and get longer use out of them. Well, that's his theory and he hasn't had leaky waders for many years.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2017, 12:48 am 
FFIMer

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
Simms G3s, year five. Worth every penny. I'll never buy a different wader.

Hmm, I may have to lean towards this as well. :)

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 4:01 pm 
FFIMer

Echo the Simms, after many years and many pairs of inexpensive waders I got a pair of Simms Guide waders. Year 3 at 60 to 70 days a year and going strong. QUALITY.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 5:38 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My Simms, G4s just finished their 8th year and are mostly solid. One self done fix and one by them. I probably never did more than 39 days a year, in my prime, but those days were sun up to sun down and I beat on them.

Using a final "friends and family" discount, I just got some G3s, I am probably closer to 15 solid days a year now, but I hope for a good 5-6 seasons. My future day count will depend on how seriously my son decides to stick with it.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 5:40 pm 

I'll put in my usual plug for Patagonia Rio Gallegos. I'm on year three of my second pair after getting 4 years out the first pair. I bet I have 100+ days per season in them between fishing, hunting and work, and I am not gentle on gear. Lots of saltwater use; lots of wading through skim ice; lots of bushwhacking through spruce and cedar thickets; lots of sliding my ass over abrasive rocks and barnacles.

Nothing against Simms except they don't fit me as well as the Patagonia's do.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 12:24 pm 
FFIMer

I wear the Patagonia Gunnison wading pants. Locally known as guide pants. As long as you avoid barbed wire, they are extremely durable and comfortable. Am on my 4th year with this pair. I wet wade all summer so don't get as many days per year in them as some of the other guys but will have them on today on the Big Hole, tomorrow on the Beaverhead, Saturday on the Jeff and TBD on Sunday. Love them.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 5:00 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Just got last years Gallegos- really like them. My Gunnisons are leaking after one season- but I have fished them hard this year- too much salt maybe.