FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 19th, 2017, 7:54 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Today I had the pleasure of spending much of my day at Thomas and Thomas rods as part of a work trip. I was extremely impressed with everything about the rods, the company and the T+T team. We got a complete tour of how their graphite and bamboo rods are made. Very cool process from the raw materials, to the modern machinery and of course the finished goods. The bamboo rods we saw were absolutely beautiful! They have a casting pond on site and we got to cast a graphite rod, a glass rod and a 4 wt bamboo.

The graphite rod was really smooth, loaded quickly and cast extremely well. The glass rod really surprised me as I had never cast one before. I've only cast a few bamboo rods and after a few snaps of the line on the back cast quickly learned to slow things down.

Bottom line...if you haven't looked at a T+T rod then you should. A New England company with a passion for rod making and filled with some really good people!

Ken

PostPosted: October 19th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
FFIMer

Ken, I have two T&T rods and both are great! T&T is slowly becoming my go-to rod company. I too like that they're a New England company, and they've always been responsive when I've had questions. Plus, I've learned their "medium- fast" graphite rods fit my natural casting stroke. I'm a firm believer each of us can make any rod work, but we also have a natural or preferred stroke.

My next new rod will likely be a T&T.

Jeff

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 6:57 pm 
FFIMer

Although I do not own any T@T Rods I have been to the shop, nice operation for sure and they make a fine rod as my brother can attest its his go too. If you do go, plan on going in the spring during the Shad run. I have caught quite a few right behind the shop in the sluiceways and wading the Big river (CT.) itself

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 9:13 pm 
FFIMer

I have a T&T 8'. 4pc, 6 wt rod and it is wonderful. Great rod, it does more than I expected. I couldn't recommend their rods more vigorously.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2017, 8:02 am 
FFIM-aholic

Aren't you looking for a 4 pc 8 wt? You don't have one after that trip?!?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 9:49 pm 
FFIMer

Kennebeckid wrote:
I have a T&T 8'. 4pc, 6 wt rod and it is wonderful. Great rod, it does more than I expected. I couldn't recommend their rods more vigorously.

Hmm, thanks for the recommendation! I may have to try this out in the future. :)