FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mid-Week TR
PostPosted: October 14th, 2017, 7:48 am 
FFIM-aholic

I like hot colors...orange, red, pink. I like maple, but often pair it with orange. Purple/white bring fish too. I use different collars, from the traditional mallard to straight up hen or rooster hackles. I like stiff hackle collars because the fly moves more water, and I find it's this kind of agitation that triggers aggressive response from big fish.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 2:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I assume we are talking about the EO. Fished a full day on Thursday. One nice male- 20-21 in the morning, smaller salmon and two BKT midday and a male that barely fit in my Stevens 28 Oval at the end of the day. Fished from the Dam to the Final drop of much of the river in between.

All my fish came on a black and purple hobo spey with an orange butt, fished on my 5 wt switch. What a blast. Fished two of my old VT haunts over parent's weekend to no avail ( one chub and a dropped pike) and hit the Upper CT on the way home yesterday- how to turn a 6 hour drive into a 9 hour drive. Berlin, NH is prettier in the dark. Got a small BKT, medium brown and LDR'd a monster rainbow, all on a small black kiwi muddler on the switch rod.

Hoping to get out this weekend and chase again....

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 8:23 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff Reardon wrote:
Dave M wrote:
All........

The one that made it to the net took a #4 Fishhead Gartside white Soft Hackle Streamer. That might just be my favorite streamer. Works gang-busters......and pig-simple to tie them up.

Dave M

That is NOT a Gartside soft hackle, and Jack himself is rolling in his grave that you called it one. I once stopped to talk to Gartside at the Marlboro show, and told him how much I liked fishing and tying his soft hackle streamers in both salt and fresh, and then made the mistake of telling him that a cone head version worked really well for pond fishing off ledges.

"If that fly has weight on it, it is NOT my fly. If I wanted to tie a ****ing jig, I would have tied a ***ing jig."

I waited for him to finish and wink, but he was still ranting when I walked away, somewhat afraid for my safety.

A true character and a cranky SOB--but a great fly designer.

I had the pleasure and good fortune of getting to know Jack- at least enough that we'd chat a little every time we saw each other I worked in DT Bost for many years and most every week in the off season he'd be tying at Stoddards or Orvis...he had a disturbingly dry sense of humor...once in a blue moon like after a couple 12 hour days at a show he could get cranky but he was a really nice guy and a magician at the vise. In the later years he was very very sick and often run down-hope you didn't take it too personally- he had a heart of gold. He loved to fish and the Soft Hackle Streamer was absolutely one of his best-nobody could tie them as elegantly as he could.