FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 15th, 2017, 5:47 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

The reports on bird hunting had been good and Upper Dam fished good last weekend so I was looking forward to a day with Peter C in the woods and on the water. Peter fished UD Friday afternoon and managed to bring some fish to the net. There were a good dozen people there the Sunday prior and Friday afternoon was a little better. I spent Friday afternoon driving up from the sea coast so didn't fish. After a bourbon infused burger for dinner and another glass to chill after dinner we made our plans to hit the woods first thing in the morning.

Our first spot had 3 cars parked at 7:30 so we went to the backup plan of hitting the logging road up to one of my favorite remote ponds. No birds but we did find an old moose shed. Exploring another road we ran into a few other hunters who mentioned they did well on the logging road we just hunted the day before. We did manage to flush one bird a few times but never got a chance to pull the trigger. By two we probably walked 4 miles and called it a day.

I fished UD this morning and while the crowds were sparse so was the fishing. The flow was down to 500 and I don't think that helped. The pool doesn't seem to be fishing like it was prior to the construction.

All in all a good weekend despite subpar results!

Ken

PostPosted: October 15th, 2017, 8:39 pm 
FFIMer

It certainly was a good day to walk threw the woods! I still can't believe we walked all the way to your camp without flushing a single bird. But the view from the bluff was definitely worth the hike.

UD was fairly slow but I found a few fish, the low water didn't help things. Water is still farily warm also, not at all what it should be for mid October.

Peter

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 1:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

And yet, I guarantee if you didn't have guns you would have had a dozen "helicopters" pop up behind you and scare the bejeezus out of you!

Sounds like a good use of a weekend. A friend just brought me a bottle of Billets (?). Simply delicious.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 7:11 am 
FFIMer

TGIF wrote:
And yet, I guarantee if you didn't have guns you would have had a dozen "helicopters" pop up behind you and scare the bejeezus out of you!

Sounds like a good use of a weekend. A friend just brought me a bottle of Billets (?). Simply delicious.

That is definitely true, when I was up there fishing 2 weeks ago I saw about a dozen. There were a lot of hunters around so I'm sure the birds have been hit pretty hard.

Kens burbon infused burger might have to become a regular item at home...

Peter

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 8:32 am 
FFIM-aholic

Get yourselves into Grafton Notch - birds everywhere when we hiked Saturday. Judging by the number of shots we heard, there were a lot of birds around!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 11:08 am 
FFIMer

Have hunted three times in the Allagash region this Oct...have not hunted for woodcock...but have been impressed by this year's partridge population.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2017, 11:28 am 
FFIM Addict

There are plenty of birds around, provided you find water and crop gravel nearby. Reardon and I hunted about a half day up around the Lincoln Pond road and over towards the Little Kennebago on Saturday. Despite seeing a good number of birds, we did not fire a shot. The birds were either flushing 60 yards out, or were in thick cover, or one or the other of us were standing on the other side of birds when they did offer a shot. My new bird dog is still figuring out wild birds- and needs a dead bird or two to sniff, but no luck for us. The chukar at dog training on the other hand are no problem though, bringing back both live birds and dead retrieves following a shot.

During the September moose hunt- we saw close to 50 birds over the course of the week. That's an abnormally high number for the area we hunted (downeast). There certainly are plenty of grouse around. Woodcock are more limited in numbers (presumably due to the warm spell late last winter that pushed birds north, followed by an abrupt and abnormally cold, snowy spell), but are starting to move through.

If anyone lost their pointing dog (with electronic collar) up along the Tim Pond Road- it was found by moose hunters and most of the local camps have the contact information of the person to get your dog back from.