FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Maine Closer
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 7:58 pm 
FFIMer

Spent a few days last week closing out the season in the Rangeley area. Things weren't looking good when we arrived at camp Tuesday. I don't think I've ever sweat so much hiking into a river. I was surprised to find the water them hovering around 66*, about 5 degrees warmer then I wanted. I picked up a couple brookies, one I worked for an hour changing dries about 8 times before he took an antacid. That was it for the day, besides breaking off a really good fish on a streamer, I thought I was past tying s*** knots...
Day 2 saw us driving to the Upper Connecticut, I looked up the conditions and it had good flow and 62* water. We thought it was the best choice, we were not alone in that thought. Fishing was tough, wading was tough... it was still hot as hell and there were few fish landed. I'm glad we went, as I'd never been before, and I'll probably go back. I can see the potential there, but it will take some time to crack the code.
With day 3 came the first relief from the heat. It actually felt like fall fishing as I was wearing a sweatshirt. We still had to work hard for every fish, and there were not many of them. Landed fish on nymphs, dries, and a streamer, couldn't get them to hit a wet for the grand slam.
Final day was Friday for me. The forecast had said mostly cloudy, but we didn't see a cloudy all day. The single toughest say I've ever had on the water. I got a couple fish to come look at a dry, but they wouldn't touch it. BWOs were coming off pretty heavily, so I decided to work this one area with a size 20 BWO nymph I came up with. Covered it hard, worked every corner of it with solid drifts. Finally felt a head shake after setting on bottom a dozen times. I knew right away this was not a good fish... no fight at all in it. Turned out to be a 15" stocked bkt that must have dropped down from the lake.... and my only fish of the day.
Next year I might have to change my annual fall trip up as the last week of September has not been great the last few years. Even last year was better then this, we may have had less rain last year, but at least the temps were colder.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Western Maine Closer
PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 7:25 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice report, Peter. Few runs scored but at least you covered the bases well. That's the game, so they say.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 10:20 pm 
FFIMer

Great report Pete. Judging by the lack of reports here, I'd say everyone found similar conditions. I guess tying season has started early...

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 11:08 am 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
I guess tying season has started early...

Not quite yet. It's bird season- and many of have dog(s) to run. This is a first season for me gunning over my own dog. Looking forward to many more to come, and acquiring more fine soft hackle material (i.e., woodcock wings).

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 12:26 pm 
FFIM Addict

And.......some of us aren't posting too many tr's because we are still fishing, and the rivers still open are as crowded as I've ever seen them. No need to add any more bodies to the crowds already there.

I did fairly well yesterday, but sure as all get-out won't say where on the Interwebs.

These temperatures (both air and more importantly, water) are more summer-like than well into fall.

At least where I've been fishing there hasn't yet even once been a typical fall hatch. The water is still much too warm for the fall Tiny BWO's to come out to play......and I've yet to see even one October Caddis.

I'm well aware that this won't be well received in certain circles, but I really believe fishing seasons should be pushed out further. I'd like to see the so-called "regular" season pushed out to Oct. 20th, and places like GLS open until Nov. 15th.......for C&R only.

I very well remember fishing in September on a Pond up in Eustis in and wearing four layers and a wool hat and gloves. Late September there now means fishing in a t-shirt most years.

I was fishing dry flies (think about that for a minute) last year in early December......and doing well. Whether we like it or not the weather/climate/whatever has changed from 30 years ago.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 1:53 pm 
FFIMer

I am also starting to think the season should be pushed back a week or two... this year has been crazy, it's hard to believe as I'm typing this on October 5th it is 80*! I'll still fish into December, or later, but the next three months I'll be just as busy chasing ducks as I was chasing fish all summer. Tying season for me does not start untill January 6th. I think I will take my fall vacation on Columbus Day week next year and try some water I have not been to before.

On a side note I did better fishing for stripers Sunday morning in 3 hours then I did in Rangeley over 4 days... that says something, and I didn't even have to drive south to do it.

Peter

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 4:46 pm 
FFIMer

I'm not sure extending the season on wild trout to accommodate climate change is a sound argument.At least not without any solid data to show trout spawning movements have adapted accordingly over the last thirty years or so. Based on something I saw this season I would say that they haven't. As a matter of fact I would suggest that tributary and or sectional river/Brook/stream closures be at the discretion of the regional biologists. I say sectional because I have seen first hand vulnerable trout in some places, and some that were no danger because of fishing pressure,all in the same system.
Also, a two week minimum delayed harvest on any stocked water or water with a historical stocking might not be a bad idea....

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 6:49 pm 
FFIM Addict

Funny I should read this today. I rode by the Connecticut lakes for the first time ever yesterday on my motorcycle. No time for fishing in a day that touched 3 states and a Canadian province, but it is beautiful country up there for sure. The weird weather does seem to be putting a hurt on the usual foliage explosion.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 7:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

For those near the coast, road by a couple southern ME beaches - birds and fish running the shore HARD! If you're looking for an alternative - a trip over should flex your rod :shock:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 10:45 am 
FFIMer

This is going to be even a less popular perspective, but the argument to extend the season as a result of climate change, notwithstanding any potential science on the effects on salmonoid reproduction, would only reward bad behavior.

Climate change is result of human activity and human behavior. We could fix this if we wanted to, but we can't because of our politics. There is a significant portion of the population who, as a matter of tribalism and blind adherence to an ill informed ideology, either don't believe in the science or just don't care because their pocket book matters to them more then clean air for the next generation. So now we have a track record of September being to warm and dry for good end of season trout fishing.

Well that's just too goddamned bad for you. This situation is a result of peoples poor judgment and ill informed decisions. That should not be rewarded and a people should have to face the realities of a problem they helped create.