FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: o/t Propane tanks
PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:05 pm 
FFIMer

Does any one know of a way to determine the amount of propane remaining in a 100 lb tank. I have the small indicator with the red dot which is about as accurate and easy to read as smelling your car gas tank to determine the amount of fuel you have left. Is there any kind of indicator on the market for 100 lb tanks. ?

Post subject: Re: o/t Propane tanks
PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 3:43 pm 
FFIMer

With a 20 pound (BBQ Size) tank you can check it just after cooking a meal by pouring water down the ouside side and then feeling for the start of a colder area. as you move your hand down. The liquid fuel will be colder than the dead space on the top of the tank and will give an approximate level. I am unsure if this will work for a larger tank, but the science should be the same

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 6:41 pm 

Or you could weigh it, but you'd need to know the weight empty.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2017, 9:59 pm 
FFIMer

I don't know how to read your tank but would recommend you buy now versus mid-winter. Propane prices were volatile last winter and they're up right now over where they were 6 weeks ago. I pre-bought 750 gallons at $1.56 (we heat with propane) this week and that's up from $1.06 when they topped me off in August. Mid-last winter propane was $2.50 or so and my buddy, who runs the local co-op, expects it to be there or higher this winter.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 11:43 am 
FFIM Addict

If you're using the bottle, condensation will form on the bottom of the bottle below the level of propane. Another way to tell if you're nearing the end of a bottle is that you start to smell the additive put in propane to give it that propane smell (propane is odorless, and an additive is added to provide odor in case of leaks). I've found, on a system with no leaks, that the 'rotten mouse' stench increases before you run out of propane.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2017, 9:52 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
If you're using the bottle, condensation will form on the bottom of the bottle below the level of propane. Another way to tell if you're nearing the end of a bottle is that you start to smell the additive put in propane to give it that propane smell (propane is odorless, and an additive is added to provide odor in case of leaks). I've found, on a system with no leaks, that the 'rotten mouse' stench increases before you run out of propane.

Wow! A great "scientific" way to measure it out. I'll keep this in mind as well. :)