FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 16th, 2017, 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellowstone
PostPosted: September 24th, 2017, 8:45 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Nothing to say other than I'm going back.

Attachments:
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG [ 137.24 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]

Post subject: Re: Yellowstone
PostPosted: September 24th, 2017, 11:42 pm 

Yup.

ImageDSC_4830 by pixdee, on Flickr

ImageP9110159 by pixdee, on Flickr

PostPosted: September 25th, 2017, 5:19 am 
FFIMer

Looks like you had a great day. Nice pics. They look a bit vintage.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2017, 9:27 am 
FFIM Addict

So Ken went for a walk and Jeff was stalking a robotic trout.

Really ....thats it

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 6:03 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Well, actually, we took Jeff for a walk and then left him to make the 7 mile hike back all by himself. The fishing was good but tough. It's much different then fishing here in the east (for the most part). On Slough, you're stalking or hunting feeding fish from up high on the bank. Perfect casts and timing are key as you generally only get one shot. I must have missed over a dozen fish each day just by setting the hook too early You have all the time in the world to watch the fish come up from the deep water to suck in your dry fly.

The Madison section we fished in the park was a bit different as we fished moving water but we were a few weeks early for the fall run of browns. We did manage a few nice rainbows and a decent brown. Quake Lake and 3 Dollar were also tough but we each managed a fish or two.

The Henry's Fork on the Snake in Idaho was equally challenging. BIG water - think Shawmut loaded with weed beds and rising trout. The hopper hatch was crazy and watching big trout suck them in was cool. Again, I missed a bunch of fish on top and after a few hours of nada, I went to the leech and managed a nice rainbow. Ridicule me if you want but the leech saved my ass everyday on every river we fished! I did catch a few more fish on a royal coachman but only when I popped it under the surface and twitched it back.

It was a short trip for Craig and myself so hopefully Jeff and Parker will post some stories. Oh, and I did see my first grizz...luckily I was in the car!

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 7:54 am 

I'm getting photos together and will do a trip report eventually. Slough Creek is just weird. The sections that see most of the fishing are all long, flat, meandering meadows. There is enough current that drag is an issue on presentations, and enough structure that fish orient to it--mostly undercut banks and the odd piece of large wood--but much of the fishing is a lot like standing 4 feet above the brook trout pond in LL Bean presenting flies to fish that are cruising about, feeding somewhat randomly on this and that.

I did not find the fish to be all that spooky. A bad drift or even a bad cast would mean they'd avoid your fly, but they'd move a little and go back to feeding pretty quickly. What made the fishing hard was that the fish were cruising around--like pond fishing, except you can see every little movement. And when we were there, there was no hatch going on, so the fish were on a variety of this and that--a few mayflies, a few terrestrials, the occasional nymph.

I did best fishing a dry ant or small parachute with a small sinking ant as a dropper. Most of my trout came on the sunk ant. I tried doing the same thing with a small pheasant tail, but fish didn't seem to react to that. I did get into one sparse mayfly hatch where the fish were set up and feeding, and did well for the 15 minutes that lasted.

I suspect the fishing here would be very different if you were there when there was a major hatch or enough wind to put a lot of terrestrials on the water. Those fish would be a lot easier to target if there was enough food around to make them set up and feed consistently, but I suspect they might be pretty selective in the slow current and crystal clear water.

The other amazing thing to me is that pretty much every fish you see in the larger streams is a large adult. I'm learning more about cutthroat biology, which seems to be highly migratory. I caught small cutts in some headwater streams, but on the medium and larger water, I don't think I saw a trout smaller than about 12", and most seemed to be in the 14-18" range, with a few larger fish mixed in.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 1:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ken B wrote:
. Perfect casts and timing are key as you generally only get one shot. I must have missed over a dozen fish each day just by setting the hook too early You have all the time in the world to watch the fish come up from the deep water to suck in your dry fly

It was a short trip for Craig and myself so hopefully Jeff and Parker will post some stories. Oh, and I did see my first grizz...luckily I was in the car!

Ken.......

When I first fished the West for Cutthroats they drove me crazy. I was used to striking for Landlocks, Browns, and Rainbows......so I struck normally, and missed the damn trout every time. They take their time sucking in the bug. Whenever I start missing strikes and I suspect Cutthroats are present I then use the old Atlantic Salmon trick of saying"God save the.......and lift on Queen" . Hooks them most of the time.

Did you make it to Third Meadow on Slough? It's fabulous up there......and there's no competition.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 2:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Sounds fun, someday, I would love to hike and camp up in that neck of the woods.

Sounds like frenchie fishing.... clear slow water and 12' leaders. It ain't so bad when you get used to it.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 3:29 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Dave, so true on the takes. That's what made the fishing tough! We fished 2nd meadow one day and then Craig and I went back into 1st on our last day and by the end of the second day is when I started to get the God save the queen method. We had an old guy and one guy that I thought was going to die just a few hundred yards into the hike so 3rd was out of the question! Next trip for sure along with Bechler.

The fishing and the scenery are both incredible and I know why guys get hooked on going out year after year.

Ken

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 4:04 pm 

I don't know if I am the "old guy", the "guy who was about to die", or perhaps both. :lol:

But I'd done something to my knee two days before the hike into 2nd Meadow, and I was seriously dragging. But not as much as the poor guy we saw hiking out carrying about 80 pounds of gear on his back, and a half-rolled tent that probably weighed another 10 lbs in his hands.

Next year Cache Creek, and I may try to reserve one of the 3rd Meadow campsites and spend a night or two up there. The Bechler would be nice, too. A TU colleague who is in NH now but used to work on the Henry's Fork went there on his days off.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 4:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff- (and others) Cache creek is worth it--- Gussa and I walked most of that trail but broke for the LeMarr off trail---do NOT do this! Go all the way to Cache- totally worth it---and go either way-up/down...I prefer up. You need Ken_B's fly only...

Hutch

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 6:38 am 
FFIMer

Jeff,
My bet is he was referring to me as the old guy.
That's ok I spent the 10 days AFTER Ken left fishing out there.
It got better every day.
The Madison in the snow and rain for three days.
Run up fish in the morning and dry fly fishing in the afternoon.
Size 20 Baetis were too big by the third day 22's were the ticket to rising fish.
I fished to fish less than a rod length away for hours on the 16th.
The hike into Cashe creek is easier than Slough but Cashe is more dependent on snow melt.
And heavy rain will make it brown for a day or two until it settles back to normal flow.
Some years there isn't much water and the fish drop into the Lamar.
Just remember to check with a local shop when you get there.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 11:19 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Old or out of shape...either way it was my pleasure fishing with you guys! I'm a rookie when it comes to fishing out west so need all the help I can get!

Next up...Abaco Island bonefish in April (just hoping the island is still there after this hurricane season).

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 1:41 pm 
FFIMer

Hey Ken, where in Abaco (lodge or DIY)?

PostPosted: September 27th, 2017, 3:10 pm 
FFIMer

I'm headed to W. Yellowstone Oct 12 for a few days to fish the spawning run on the Madison. 8) Can't wait to get there. One of my most favorite places on earth.