FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 25th, 2017, 2:39 pm 
FFIM Addict

My .02: Anybody with lawn chairs set up on a popular pool should not mind you asking for a spot in the rotation and plunking down another chair. I've been known to bring both a chair and a bunch of extra rods in the truck, but carrying them down to the river is a threshold I've not crossed.

I think I've fished with folks who had multiple rods strung while wade-fishing, but I don't see it much. I do think this comes from people growing accustomed to having multiple strung rods on the truck or in the boat and just being used to fishing that way.

On the other hand, if guys want to sit around and drink beer by the road all day and leave more empty water for me, I'm not gonna complain too much. My experience fishing Friday was that the fish were piled up in the quickwater, not in the pools anyway.

We've had 40s and rain for the last 3 days on the Front Range of CO -- hope that heads your way shortly.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2017, 6:10 pm 
FFIMer

Interesting read... I have been fishing on and off this month at one of the more known rivers in Maine and I can tell you that there is a lawn chair left at many of the pools on this river. Seems to have become the norm as you suggest.

Regarding the carrying of multiple rods. I started fly fishing in 1989 and I have always carried two rods. One with a floating line and another with a sinking line. On occasion, I have even been known to carry three. Sometimes the opportunity for peak fishing is very brief, it is a lifesaver to have a caddis, or whatever is the ticket, ready to go on a second rod.

I have not spend the $$$ for one of those fancy carriers that you carry the rods fully assembled.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

PostPosted: September 25th, 2017, 7:33 pm 
FFIMer

I can only imagine what Lee Wulff or Ernest Schwiebert would have said about what Jeff described.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 8:15 am 

pushaw wrote:
My .02: Anybody with lawn chairs set up on a popular pool should not mind you asking for a spot in the rotation

I think this is the crux. To the extent I was "taught" fishing etiquette by the older folks who took me fishing when I was young, it was to strike a balance between two potentially conflicting "rules".

(1) Whoever who got there first gets the chance to work the fish. If you come to a spot you want to fish and someone else is there, leave it alone. Go around the other angler--the appropriate distance varying a good deal depending on the nature of the water and how crowded it is, but the farther the better, and in no case ever closer than what a good angler could cover in a cast.
(2) Don't be a pool hog. You have the right to work an area you are fishing, change flies and tackle if you want, and not be interfered with, but not forever. If you are catching fish, at some point you should give someone a chance to do so. If you are not catching fish, at some point you should let someone else see if they can figure it out. The appropriate amount of time before you should move on depends on the nature of the water and how crowded it is.

Also, in those days, there were a few spots where fishing pressure was high enough that more formal systems would be established. The rod racks and benches on the Atlantic salmon rivers were the most complete example of this, but there were other spots with a local custom to share the water--Upper Dam, Big Eddy, and certain pools on the Roach River come to mind.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2017, 2:11 pm 
FFIM Addict

back when i used to fish, it seems to be the correlation between those who hogged a pool in this manner and soft tires on vehicles would be high