FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 9:37 am 

Perhaps this should be added to the pinned "Etiquette" thread, but I figured more folks would see it here.

Since when did lawn chairs and multiple rigged rods become part of normal gear for fly-fishing small rivers and streams?

When I was a kid, the sight of an angler in a lawn chair was pretty well limited to people plunking with worms at the hole where the stocking truck had just dumped a load of fish sticks. Now, it seems to be getting common on well known, quality wild trout waters. I've ranted here before about the guys who get up at 2 am to occupy spots like "The Meat Hole", or the "The Donnybrook Pool", or one of the many "Bathtubs". I've responded by avoiding the waters where that's become accepted local practice, or at least only fishing them weekdays in rotten weather at off times of the season.

On my Yellowstone trip in early September (trip report pending download of the photos), I saw a new behavior that really takes this up a notch. A small group of anglers were fishing a very well-known pool that is literally right next to the road, day after day. There were three of them most times I went by, in a vehicle rigged with some new-fangled kind of rod rack that lets you store multiple rigged rods, fully strung-up, on the roof. They'd arrive every day about 10 am, spread out four lawn chairs on a gravel bar, and the three of them would fish that same poll endlessly. (Three chairs for the anglers--there were multiple times that none of them were fishing, but all sitting around watching the water and chatting or nursing a drink--and one to lean their extra rods against.)

I never fished that pool, so I didn't talk the to group or get a close look at how they were fishing. (I don't fly to Montana to fish a pool where my glasses get scratched by gravel from the passing traffic on the road, even if I can have it to myself.) But I assume the multiple rigged rods were set up with different flies and rigs to facilitate quickly switching from dries to terrestrials to nymphs to streamers--a set of changes I found necessary in my fishing on the same waters.

Fortunately, I was mostly focused on hike-in waters, and this "style" of angling seems limited to roadside spots. The other anglers I ran into at more remote spots were mostly fishing like I do--stopping here and there for a half hour or so to work a pool or a particular fish, but fishing the water and moving on. Even on water that was pretty busy, we were all able to stay out of each other's way. But as technology makes lawn chairs lighter--and as retailers market new portable lawn chairs just for anglers, probably printed with brook trout vermiculations and brown trout spots, and with built-in rod holders--I fear we'll see it move farther and farther from the road. It's already at the Donnybrook Pool, which is 1 mile+ in from a gate.

I do not see this as a positive development in our sport.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:13 am 
FFIMer

haven't seen the lawnchairs. that's wild.

but I commonly see guys with both a streamer rod and nymph rod. especially in early spring.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:50 am 
FFIM-aholic

I often carry two rods, when I am fishing a sink tip for streamers and floater for nymphs and dries.

The law chair concept doesn't really bother me, because old guys have told me they used to "r st a pool" without someone diving in in front of them. I guess that is no longer the case, and one must stand guard. Plus, we have already established that most of you guys are pretty old, so it is probably just a logical byproduct of the aging of our sport. Wheel chair ramps down those dirt roads will be a challenge.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 11:04 am 
FFIM Addict

Seen it both in the Rangeley and Greenville area. Once came upon a guy in a camp chair asleep on the river bank of the Roach with his feet in the water. Soon as he heard me he jumped up and took a cast and moved to the middle of the pool. Reason #47 why I pretty much have stopped fishing popular rivers.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 11:10 am 

I usually carry two rods in a canoe--one rigged wet, the other dry. When stream fishing, I like to be mobile. It's hard enough to carry one rigged rod through the woods, and not that hard to change from a floating to a sinking line or a streamer to a nymph rig. If I carried two rods, I'd forget one half the time when I moved to the next pool. Perhaps this explains the increase in "lost a rod at the such and such river" posts. :lol: Still, if you want to carry them, doesn't bother me.

And if the lawn chairs are making life easier for the physically challenged, I'm all for it. That's not what I've been seeing.

But parking in a lawn chair to "stand guard"? If you are "standing guard", I'd say you're pushing the limits of sharing public water just as much as the guy who sets up in your back pocket when he sees you casting to rising trout. Especially if you are doing it so long you need to sit in a chair to rest your legs.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 11:12 am 
FFIMer

Western Maine....sad but true :-(
Lawn chairs on the effing stream bed!!!

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 12:11 pm 
FFIMer

I've yet to run into the lawn chairs anyplace that's more then 50 feet from pavement, and never used by a flyfisher. I remember one time probably 5 years ago now on the 'Bago. I went up for the day because we had just got slammed with rain. I was rigging up near the one spot everyone fishes at when I heard the rustling in the bushes. Some guy who looked half dead came stumbling out of the woods caring 4 fully rigged rods. He drove up from out of state, I don't remember where exactly but I'm just going to assume it was Mass, and had been on the river since 3am. It was now almost 9.
I'm with you Jeff, I like to be mobile and it doesn't take all that long to re-rig. There are times when it'd be nice to have two rods, and times I have contemplated doing it, but know it will result in me having to back track to grab the second rod that I left somewhere.

Peter

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 3:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

This thread is funny. I've been fishing for more than 60 years......and fly fishing for over 50. Until a week ago I'd never seen what you guys are talking about.

I was fishing a well known part of the K and walked in to my favorite run/pool where there's at certain levels a rock island. Imagine my shock when I saw a guy sitting in a lawn chair in the middle of the rock island. I said to myself WTF???

It must now be pretty common if we have an FFIM thread on this.

I didn't post of my earlier experience, because, quite frankly......I'm not sure most of you would have believed me. After reading this thread I guess my experience isn't nearly as unique ( I would have said #^%#^#up) as I thought.

Dave M

Last edited by Dave M on September 21st, 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:37 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I'm with Dave. I had never seen this in all of my years of FF until Labor Day weekend of this year. I stopped by to look at the water at Steep Bank Pool and there was one guy sitting in a lawn chair right at the bottom of the ledge. He was in his early 70's or so and I figured he couldn't stand for long and so was going to cast from his chair. I was quite okay with that until I spoke. He whirled around grabbed on of his three rods and hastily waded into the section where salmon hold and started casting. I chuckled and said that's a first, hoped into my truck to go hike into one of my favorite remote ponds. I guess to each his own.

Jeff- waiting for that trip report!

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:45 pm 
FFIMer

Saw two guys camped out with a cooler on a well known tributary this June. I can fish all day on a granola bar, peanut butter crackers and a bottle of water. But that's because I keep moving. These two had obviously set up shop for the day.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 9:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

I used to talk fishing with a guy from Bingham back in the seventies. He had a term for this, usually involving a forked stick and bait, that was so far from politically correct I wouldn't dare to repeat it here.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 9:54 pm 
FFIMer

have yet to observe this, but the last couple of years for me have been pretty spare on the bi and popular rivers around here due to a combination of being busy and two warm dry late summers.

I dont have a problem with an old fellow using a lawn chair on occasion if his legs bother him.. The idea of someone camping out at a great hole just with the intent of hogging it to themselves for the day bugs me. I am about the social aspect of fly fishing at times and enjoy chatting with people when I see them on the rivers, etc. That being said the lawn chair with several rigged up rods and hogging a prime spot just does not cut it for me.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 7:13 am 
FFIMer

Never saw that...

When I'm in my drift boat, I usually have a 7 weight rod rigged with a streamer, a 6 weight with a dry and another rod between 4 and 6 weight rigged with another dry. I don't need all of those rods rigged but I have a lot of rods and I try to use them all.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 9:32 am 
FFIM-aholic

Weird.
No chair, but I was on the Mag yesterday and a guy walks down behind the power station and across the Boulder field carrying a large cardboard box. Large enough that it was basically all he could handle. I wanted to shout across what's the box for? But soon enough I saw, it was filled with rods. Maybe four? Tough to tell as they were broken down but there was a pile of rod sections. My day was over so I left And didn't see what else might emerge from that box. Strange.
I have no problem with chairs, whatever makes you comfortable within the margins of the rule book. But pool hogging is pure bulls##t and we all should endeavor to, at the very least, make pool hoggers uncomfortable. It's as easy as parking your can on the bank and watching them. Get as close as possible without getting your face smacked by a backcast.
Individuals or groups who hog pools are inherently insecure. They can't handle the fact that others are competing for their enjoyment, and will hedge in any number of ways to prevent that from happening. Sitting down in their "space" long enough will drive them nuts. Their skin will start to crawl by your presence.
Be a pest.
I do find, however, that most people who "appear" to be pool hogging are more than happy to share the water. you have to engage them to dispel your own assumptions, which can often be misleading

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm 
FFIMer

My first encounter with lawn chairs was at the dam pool at Brassua. My first encounter with a porta-potty on a river was also at Brassua. Ditto the mowed lawn and the stairs up and down the bank at the dam. I was surprised and amused by the lawn chairs but with all the other amenities there, they didn't seem all that out of place. I remember a day at Upper Dam and another first. A fellow had rigged his vest so that he could strap a fully rigged rod upright like a flag pole on one side of the vest while he cast another rod on the opposite side. I'll carry an assortment of lines for my reel in my vest and can switch lines midstream with minimal effort, something I'll do any number of times during a day. I'd never considered carrying two rods in the water at the same time before that day and after seeing how foolish this fellow looked, I'll never consider doing that in the future.