FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not looking good
PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm 
FFIMer

High 80s to potentially 90 degrees one week before the closer, with the high temps and rain free statewide forecast looking like it's going to extend until Monday. The year round waters took another beating from drought beginning in late June. Fall fishing isn't the same without wearing a sweatshirt and early morning ice in the guides. This is shaping up to be a nasty year for cabin fever setting in early.

Post subject: Re: Not looking good
PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:11 am 
FFIM-aholic

Agreed - less than ideal for sure. Once the surf settles - stripers.......

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:26 am 
FFIMer

put the trout rod up a week ago, small mouth bass for now.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:34 am 
FFIM Addict

I am not often found in the Rangely area- though some. I was asked yesterday what water stays open after the end of September...I didn't and don't know the answer, so I said look at the book. It is sad I don't know. Either way, shouldn't there be some adjustment to seasons based on climate change? (I agree the climate IS changing- and always have agreed---I just don't agree w/ some about why)

ALso- remember when the season closer on GLS was extended a few years ago? Are they going to end on a weekend this year (or Friday the 20th)?

Hutch

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 12:27 pm 
FFIMer

I'm headed NW next week for 4 days for my usual season ender trip. This will be my 5th or 6th year in a row up there for the closer. There is a huge difference between the first 2 years and the last few years. I remember fishing with numb hands and frozen guides and water in the mid 40s. Wind, clouds and rain were the norm, the last 3 years its been in the he 80s and bright and sunny at least half the trip. The number of fishers is also up about 3X from what I have seen.

Peter

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 1:19 pm 

September fishing has always been iffy and rain/temp dependent. But climate change is essentially making summer longer, which means good September conditions come less and less often. Maybe we got 7 good years out of 10 when I was a kid, and now we're well under 50%.

I understand the desire to push the season close later to "adapt", but the problem is is that while fall fishing comes later in most years, trout spawning and pre-spawning is still happening from mid-October to mid-November, and does not seem to be shifting later.

I'd be concerned about October fishing and its impacts on pre-spawn and spawning trout in those waters maintained by wild reproduction.

I do not think there are the same concerns in spring--an earlier opener doesn't have the same kind of biological risks.

And for my money, go to year-round fishing on all stocked waters. I'll still make the switch to bird hunting in October and pickerel through the ice in January, but if people want at those stocked fish in the fall and winter, have at 'em, so long as the water with wild trout populations stay closed through at least Jan. 1.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 4:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've wondered why GLS doesn't reopen January 1st. The wild component of fish have already spawned, and the eggs will still be in the gravel through early June (well after anglers come tromping through in the spring). I once asked the biologists down that way- and they said talk to the legislature, as the season had been extended to October 20th by the legislature, not the department, and that the legislature would have to grant the department the right to change such before they could consider a modification of the season. Which I find interesting, given the season extension granted by the commissioner a few years back.

Not that I think the fishing would be all that good mid-winter. But it might relieve pressure opening day.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 4:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

IMO, Keep the current seasons to protect native and wild fish. If seasons are changing anyway, we need more protection for these waters, not less.
I don't want open season on stocked waters, either. I want to see more protection for some of the better performing stocked waters. Quality stocked fisheries are important resources for taking some of the pressure off wild/native ones. Have you thanked your stocking truck driver lately?
Re:cabin fever. That condition only exists for those who don't ski
:P

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:02 pm 
FFIMer

I think that protecting some of our fisheries in the fall is critical especially with a warming climate. manmade or not. The warmer temperatures have absolutely thrown a monkey wrench into the fall fishing though. I think the lack of rain the past two falls has been the more critical factor that the temperature. There just is not enough water to move fish into the tribs. and spawning waters. I was hoping for a big blow of water to flush young alewives back to bring in a run a of stripers ( there are enough of them around) to make things real interesting. oh well.

the climate warming I feel necessitates that we protect our cold water spawners in the fall.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:22 pm 
FFIMer

So outside of regs, what can YOU do to improve habitat in a changing climate?
Change fishing habits? Join a local Land trust? Join a TU chapter?

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 11:23 pm 

Interesting factoid on NPR today as I was driving. An expert being interviewed said that due to climate change, in New England the hay fever season is now about 25 days longer than it it used to be. Starts earlier and ends later.

Same for the trout. They need to find the springholes earlier in the summer, and they are stuck in them later into the fall.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 9:06 am 
FFIMer

Had this discussion with Danny L. from Greenville in Florida this past April. He said one of the things he has noticed is that he is able to grow tomatoes consistently in Greenville now, and in the past he was never able to finish them off.

No question the climate has warmed in Maine.

I guess at some point in the gulf of Maine we'll be fishing for False Albies. :D take the good with the bad I guess.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 10:31 am 
FFIM Addict

Well...all good comments, but I disagree about extending fishing on put/take waters in later fall. GLS is 95% put and take, and while there is spawning, the retention of the spawn is low...the fishing could easily be closed ABOVE the bridge in the spawn season (where Foley's film shows the fish stack) and open below to extend the use- which from a town point of view would add some level of trade into a very small town that is hanging on the edge.

I do NOT believe the extension of the fishing on the East Outlet into an all year fishery is hurting the fish/fishing. In fact, that late snow season fishing could be extended to other rivers in the area and west of there that are not naturally supported in any large percent.

Some serious fishing on the P'scott in January- and the number of people doing so has grown over the last decade.

Hutch

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 11:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

What they say about the weather is true.
Enjoy the beach this weekend, snow showers are expected over the higher terrain next weekend!

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 11:51 am 

Forget about fishing--duck season in the north zone starts Monday, and the forecast is for 90 degrees.

How late in the day can I shoot a wood duck and get it home before it spoils.

Feeling really bad for the moose hunters up north next week, though it looks a little more normal for the weekend.

For all that, I've seen a fair number of reports of decent fall fishing. If I were looking to get out this weekend, I'd stay away from the streams that depend on a slug of water and/or cold weather to motivate fish to move, and focus on spots where flows (and, for some, water temps) are controlled by the dam. West Branch, mainstem Kennebec, Moose, Roach, Dead, GLS--lots of the traditional fall hot spots--should fish something like "normal" if you can stand September fishing with green leaves and 85 degree air.