FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm 
FFIMer

Hi to all,

I'll be driving next Monday afternoon from Bangor to Machias and going through some nice fishing country. I'll have my 5wt and 8wt with me and more flies and streamers than most fly shops. What waterways does any one recommend that I try that are near the main road (State Route 9) between these two towns? (And, any seasonal fly recommendations are much appreciated, too!).

Thank you to all! FFIM advice always is gratefully appreciated regarding the questions I post when fishing one of the country's most beautiful states.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 4:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Fish wherever you can find water. The Downeast area experienced another drought summer- leaving much of the blue lines looking more like intermittent puddles again this year. I'd like to say the rain we've gotten lately may have corrected that- but the streamgages didn't move much around here.

And I'd focus on smallmouth using small buggers and such. They can be found in most of the water off the Airline (Route 9).

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
FFIMer

I would try old stream. Can produce some really pretty fish. Handle any Atlantic salmon smolt carefully as well.

Drought has been bad. I'm sure it has had an impact. I'll be driving by there myself tomorrow. Gotta go close up the cabin.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 6:09 am 
FFIMer

Thank you Hunter and 733SubDucker, much appreciated! Will keep you posted on success(?). I may try the Machias River, too, for some stripers.

Sorry to hear about the drought ...New England weather is crazy, by contrast we had great rain all summer down in Taxachusetts.

Best to all, Ken

PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 1:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

I was working over in VT a few weeks back and was quite surprised at how green and wet everything was compared to Maine. It seems most of the water has either rode the backs of the Green Mountains up into Canada, or slithered east out into the Gulf of Maine somewhere south of the border. I'm hoping we get some rain out of Jose, as both my ponds are still low- though the beaver are keeping the water levels near the duck blind reasonable.

It's hard to believe it's near 80 degrees and next week is moose season.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 10:50 am 
FFIMer

Hunter wrote:
It's hard to believe it's near 80 degrees and next week is moose season.

Its not hard to believe at all Hunter. These warmer fall temperatures and longer periods of drought are all predicted by climate change models.

Keep the GOP in power and we will all be fishing only for large mouths soon.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 12:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Put in the dems and most of our fish will be glowing in the dark.... this river flows both ways...

:lol:

Seriously only teasing :lol:

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 6:52 am 
FFIMer

1 week ago, the Machias was a rock field, Mopang had zero flow, Pleasant river at Pleasant river lake was stagnant, OLd stream was almost stopped at rt 9, and all were warm. Ponds in the area I would think.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 7:12 am 
FFIM Addict

PFFlyer wrote:
1 week ago, the Machias was a rock field, Mopang had zero flow, Pleasant river at Pleasant river lake was stagnant, OLd stream was almost stopped at rt 9, and all were warm. Ponds in the area I would think.

Yeah- I drove over the Machias over Labor Day weekend and it was the lowest I've ever seen it. Good time to go bass picking.