FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T. Hummers left?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 3:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

For two days now I've had no Hummingbirds at my feeders. The males left over a month ago.....but the females were still there until two days ago. None since. I always know it's fall when the Hummers take off south for the winter.

On another note I came across a Snapping Turtle in the middle of the road on my walk this morning. Not wanting to lose a finger I didn't pick him (her??) up......but I did guide him/her/it back toward the water as I didn't want some ###hole in a vehicle running it over for ##### and giggles.

For fishing related topics the water temps the last two times I've fished were 61* and 62*......so the fall fishing is definitely picking up. No big Landlocks, but plenty of smaller ones around.

At least where I've been fishing the fall hatches haven't started yet......but that should be fairly soon.

I did hear back from Fishpond on that large rolling duffel bag I wrote about on my return from Jamicia. Fishpond is sending me a brand new replacement. As much as I want to say the damned bag shouldn't have fallen apart in the first place Fishpond certainly came through. I thought they'd fix the one I sent back, but the company replaced the bag with a brand new one.i certainly can't bitch about that service.

My Abel reel is fixed......my CFO is fixed......my Seiko watch is fixed...my Fishpond bag is on its way to me.......and the fishing is picking up, and all my friends in Florida came through Irma fairly well, and my in-laws didn't lose their house. Life is good...

Dave M

Addendum: Just now I've got almost two dozen Northern Flickers grubbing on my lawn. They're on their southward migration also. Very cool!

Last edited by Dave M on September 16th, 2017, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: O/T. Hummers left?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 7:20 pm 
FFIM-aholic

This is our first go round with hummers this summer. We had 4 and they were all over the feeder last Sunday, come Monday.....gone. Haven't seen any since.

Praying for some serious rain in the next week or so as my favorite haunts are very low. Not as bad as last year, but low. I'd love to be able to say I was on the water more than once this year..... :oops:

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

I don't feed my hummingbirds, but do have a rotating crop of flowers that came with the homestead when I bought it. I've had 5 hummingbirds all summer, but haven't seen any in two weeks. The swallows had a convention on my roof (about two dozen) that lasted about a week, but they packed up and left a few weeks ago. The number of mosquitos has picked up since they went south. I still have bluebirds around though, which is odd for me this time of year.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 4:41 am 
FFIMer

Our Hummers left abruptly 5 days ago..
before that they were hitting the feeders hard, We had two broods of Blue Birds this spring and they were everywhere until the little ones left we really enjoy them. We have been putting out nest boxes for years now and its really paying off :!: As for fishing I have this next week off and will be spending most of it on the big rivers

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 3:18 pm 
FFIMer

The females were busy the last couple of weeks and then all departed Sunday. Males all left weeks ago. I'll miss their antics til next year.