FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Be an Outsider
PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi folks,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

I'm personally excited to see what this new campaign and brand focus brings.

Seeing how as how L.L.Bean is a Maine company, and Fly Fishing is an Outdoors activity -- would love to hear your reactions to this re-focusing of the brand.

Thoughts?

-Dan

Post subject: Re: Be an Outsider
PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 7:43 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I don't care much about branding and marketing and don't typically respond to revamped campaigns. As a consumer, all I care about is that the company offers quality products at an affordable price. Most of what I buy at beans passes this basic litmus test, and for the items that don't, I'm confident they will stand behind them. So I say, don't change the basics and I'll keep shopping there.
FWIW,
The LL Bean thru hiker boots are the best pair of boots I have ever owned.
The beans King Pine Dome tent is my home away from home every summer on Mooselook and is just a great tent. Upgrading from 4-man to 6-man soon.
I love my LL 9'6 wt.
The customer service in my opinion is unparalleled.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 10:21 pm 
FFIM Addict

Marketing....it's a wonderful thing. The game of trying to convince the buying public that your are something your competitors are not. Would i like to see Beans have the image they held for me back 40-50 years ago, the old building, wooden floors, stuff all over the place, the place you went to get Maine boots, Maine stuff, the place we would go on pre-Christmas weekend just to shop at midnight, yeah that would be nice but it's not going to happen. That special atmosphere and feeling is long gone, sadly. The store and the brand have moved beyond that.

However I'm pretty sure they are not after me, I'm that old Bean customer. They are after the millennials and want to convince them that Beans is different. Tough job, too much of their current infrastructure belies that. To make it truly different means changing clothing lines, changing the physical structure, not revising their return policy, more sporting goods etc. I wish them the best.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 12:09 am 
FFIMer

Both Bean and Orvis have become clothing stores that sell some other stuff. A marketing campaign wont change that, but it may increase their sales because potential buyers will feel "outdoorsey" because they wear Bean flannel shirts.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 8:06 am 
FFIMer

I have been seeing and hearing the commercials on TV and radio, I got the new Be an Outsider mailer yesterday. I like the play on words, but everything in the mailer was clothing.... Nothing I'm interested in. Almost ever piece of hunting and fishing gear I own is LLB, and I plan to keep it that way. It's good stuff and I know I can drive 10 minutes from my house and exchange anything that fails, that is hard to beat. It also helps my parents both work there, so I take full advantage of thier hefty, but not as hefty as it used to be, employee discount. I could buy similar stuff at any other national outdoor retailer for about the same cost, but they don't have as good of a return policy. That's what really keeps me going to Beans.

Peter

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 8:25 am 
FFIM-aholic

I hope they don't give up on the amazing amount of khackis, embroidered dog beds and deck chairs.... but in all seriousness every piece of gear I have from them, has held up great. Packs, jackets, boots (resold Vero's from Italy), but it definitely feels like it has lost its luster as an "outfitter" but I understand they need to pay the bills.

My view only, now that my kids are participating in outdoor pursuits with me, i give them kudos for the quality of their kids gear. All their stuff to day has handled 3 kids worth of hand-me-down beating and is still keeping them dry and warm, which is the key to fun and safety in the outdoors. Don't forget to buy primary colors.

Finally, I love that they sell the 2nds of smartwool socks. Best socks in the world and 50% off.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 8:46 am 
FFIM Addict

First let me say that I love LLBean.

That having been said I find Beans fly fishing to be somewhat skitsofrenic. (Sp.)

Why? Some years Beans has a lot of national brands....like Winston rods, Simms waders, Fishpond gear. Other years Beans has just about nothing of the national companies, and they just have LL Bean branded gear. Weird.

I'll give you another example. Beans used to (years ago) have Bean waders .....the Kevlar Bombers.....that were at least as good, and a lot of people thought better than.......Simms and Patagonia. Then....poof!....no more Kevlar Bombers. You never know from year to year what you're getting from Beans. If Beans ever brought me in for an interview as a loyal Bean customer......for more than 50 years......that's what I'd tell them.

If Bean ever wants to compete nationally in the fly fishing realm they have to be more consistent with the national brands.......not just LL Bean branded gear. ( e.g. Abel reels, Winston rods, Fishpond packs, etc.). If we want the national brands we have them available with just a few clicks of a mouse. I'd certainly buy them from Beans if Beans has them available. I'm well Ware that BEAN BRANDED GEAR IS PROBABBLY MORE PROFITABLE for them, but I often want the national brand. Ymmv.....

Dave M

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 9:32 am 
FFIM Addict

^^^^^^^^^^^
What Dave M said.

I've had good luck with LLB product over the years, though I won't be deviating from Simms waders to go back to LLB waders anytime soon. I do like LLB wading shoes. And the ability to go shop at 3 AM while en route to some far flung destination. The fly shop could use some quality control on materials. And they need to beware of the seasonal purchases vs. on-hand inventory that plagues other box stores. I hate being told "we probably won't have any more of <insert item name> until next season."

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 10:03 am 
FFIMer

I'm in the sporting camp business. The trend is that the younger generation is turning away from outdoor activities. Beans is focusing their marketing on their weakness. There other products are probably quite healthy. If you look at the marketing for the railroads in Maine in the early 1900s the focus was on women and kids.They already had the male over 20 market sewed up. Fly rod Crosby was a major part of the railroad marketing of the day. She was sent with a life size log cabin to sportsman shows all over New England to push Maine outdoors. In those days if you traveled, you traveled by rail. Bangor and Aroostook wanted to see women and children on their trains. They had to buy tickets too.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 10:56 am 
FFIMer

As I have said before, in my lifetime, anything that I have ever returned to Beans, for hunting, fishing, canoeing, camping, clothes, dog equipment, etc, that had malfunctioned, was either immediately replaced or immediately refunded, right on the spot...no phone calls, no emails, no post offices, no hassles, and no waiting, other than maybe waiting for five or ten minutes in the return line...works for me!

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 1:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

Fishing department aside, I've always been drawn to LLB's hunting gear and think they're in a position to capitalize on that market. With the demise of Beagle Wear hunting clothes company- which in my opinion was making some of the best cold weather hunting gear in the business, there's a niche market for LLB to fill. Is it going to sell tons of units- no. But such would position them in the outdoor market in areas that other box store chains haven't been able to perform well in. Quality over quantity.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm 
FFIMer

If you drive up Cadillac Mt., you may be a new Outsider
If you stay at AMC huts, you may be a new Outsider
If you drive around with a kayak on your Subaru for weeks and never put it int he water, you may be a new Outsider
If you walk your dog with a blue or yellow bag in your pocket, you may be a new Outsider
IF your bike rides include wine tasting, you may be a new Outsider
If you have a white oval sticker on your car with three letters on it, you may be a new Outsider
If you only have rescue pets, you may be a new Outsider

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 7:30 pm 
FFIMer

braggsbay wrote:
If you drive around with a kayak on your Subaru for weeks and never put it int he water, you may be a new Outsider
If you walk your dog with a blue or yellow bag in your pocket, you may be a new Outsider
If you have a white oval sticker on your car with three letters on it, you may be a new Outsider

Quite possibly the greatest post ever made.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
braggsbay wrote:

Quite possibly the greatest post ever made.

Huh...... I have three of the seven, and I don't think I'm an outsider, fwiw. ;-)
I have driven up Cadillac, my cat is a rescue, and I do pick up from my dog.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
First let me say that I love LLBean.

That having been said I find Beans fly fishing to be somewhat skitsofrenic. (Sp.)

Why? Some years Beans has a lot of national brands....like Winston rods, Simms waders, Fishpond gear. Other years Beans has just about nothing of the national companies, and they just have LL Bean branded gear. Weird.

I'll give you another example. Beans used to (years ago) have Bean waders .....the Kevlar Bombers.....that were at least as good, and a lot of people thought better than.......Simms and Patagonia. Then....poof!....no more Kevlar Bombers. You never know from year to year what you're getting from Beans. If Beans ever brought me in for an interview as a loyal Bean customer......for more than 50 years......that's what I'd tell them.

If Bean ever wants to compete nationally in the fly fishing realm they have to be more consistent with the national brands.......not just LL Bean branded gear. ( e.g. Abel reels, Winston rods, Fishpond packs, etc.). If we want the national brands we have them available with just a few clicks of a mouse. I'd certainly buy them from Beans if Beans has them available. I'm well Ware that BEAN BRANDED GEAR IS PROBABBLY MORE PROFITABLE for them, but I often want the national brand. Ymmv.....

Dave M

Yes their fly fishing dept barely passes the litmus test IMO...they have a lot of flys and the normal selection of equipment I guess...its a very antiseptic atmosphere...as a fly tyer its horrible but has a few things if I am in a pinch and while some of the guys know their stuff it can be hit or miss if you need expertise or information...I miss what it was when it was downstairs and had that smell...I have huge respect for Beans and the amount of people they employ and their customer policies but when I go to a fly shop there is only one within an hour of me.