FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Be an Outsider
PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 9:49 pm 
FFIMer

Don't read too much into it Dave, I'm pretty sure it was a humorous commentary on the new breed of outdoorsman/woman this advertising camaign is trying to attract.
I really doubt that this is any more than another marketing strategy. Sorry LL, but my money is staying with Orvis. (Even if those rods so quaintly made in Manchester Vt. By a bearded guy who smells like maple syrup ship out of a warehouse in Roanoke VA.)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 8:07 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
RoundaboutCaddis wrote:
braggsbay wrote:
If you drive up Cadillac Mt., you may be a new Outsider
If you stay at AMC huts, you may be a new Outsider
If you drive around with a kayak on your Subaru for weeks and never put it int he water, you may be a new Outsider
If you walk your dog with a blue or yellow bag in your pocket, you may be a new Outsider
IF your bike rides include wine tasting, you may be a new Outsider
If you have a white oval sticker on your car with three letters on it, you may be a new Outsider
If you only have rescue pets, you may be a new Outsider

Quite possibly the greatest post ever made.

Huh...... I have three of the seven, and I don't think I'm an outsider, fwiw. ;-)
I have driven up Cadillac, my cat is a rescue, and I do pick up from my dog.

Dave M

No offense was intended as I can say that I belong to two of the new Outsider definitions myself. I was only trying to make a point that they sell clothing that make people feel confident and cool when they do these things and even if they don't do these things they like the image. I guess I lack the skill and vocab to say things delicately about these Outsider wannabes that Beans markets to.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 6:52 am 
FFIM Addict

braggsbay wrote:

Huh...... I have three of the seven, and I don't think I'm an outsider, fwiw. ;-)
I have driven up Cadillac, my cat is a rescue, and I do pick up from my dog.

Dave M

No offense was intended as I can say that I belong to two of the new Outsider definitions myself. I was only trying to make a point that they sell clothing that make people feel confident and cool when they do these things and even if they don't do these things they like the image. I guess I lack the skill and vocab to say things delicately about these Outsider wannabes that Beans markets to.[/quote][/quote]

Brags......

No offense taken, at all. I was trying ( unsuccessfully obviously) to make a joke. Anybody that knows me knows I'm about as far from these Outsider wannabes as it's possible to be. Sorry to be unclear on that.

Dave M

PostPosted: September 10th, 2017, 10:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

Staying focused is important for them. What makes Beans unique is the return policy. What that traditionally meant is that they only sold high quality stuff that wouldn't break. Nowadays, some of the stuff is not as good, so the return policy is costing them more money. Focus on quality and offering up something unique. I like the campaign in that it promotes both Beans and the idea of being outside, which is core to what they are selling. If they ditch the return policy, I think that's the end of the brand.

I recently returned a beans raincoat (ripped on 3rd day of wearing) and got a new one that seems pretty solid. My new Beans wading boots finally got a good workout last weekend and I think they are awesome. I will second the kids stuff comment. Who else sells permethrin clothing for kids? We got thin long sleeve shirts with hoodies in Freeport in June and the kids wore them most days for the following 3 weeks outside in Maine.

If you look at Beans competition, they have some reason to be worried. REI already has something unique going for them because they are organized as a coop. That's unusual. I shop at REI more than I shop at Beans, but that's because there's an REI nearby and there isn't a Beans. That's where I buy my "outsider" gear, mostly. Amazon is just a juggernaut, eating all retailers in their way -- they are scary enough that even Walmart worries about their long term prospects. You can't really beat Amazon; you just have to get out of the way and stay focused on your particular deal.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 3:10 pm 
FFIMer

If you talk "leave no trace" but build cairns, you may be a New Outsider

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 3:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

braggsbay wrote:

Or a Sasquatch.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2017, 3:45 pm 
FFIM-aholic

braggsbay wrote:

Excellent point. Although cairns above treeline are necessary to stay on trail and off the fragile alpine vegetation, They've become ubiquitous to trails everywhere.
I work with stone, and it's amazing how many people show me their "rock" collections taken from various mountain tops. I often bite my lip and hide my frown. Erosion has taken and will perpetually continue to take it's toll on mountains and we don't need to hasten that pace. The rocks strewn around the woods are mountain relics, tossed aside by bulldozing glaciers. Plenty of those to collect. Also, some native cultures believe taking a rock from a mountain will result in a curse from the spirit of the mountain. Needless to say, Pamola is probably quite peeved.