FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Canada Trip Report
PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wow....I have no words. Brian, your adventures are easily as good as any account I've ever read!

Oh, and now we know why you didn't make it to the FFIM Board meeting a couple weeks ago!!! :lol:

-Dan

PostPosted: September 4th, 2017, 4:28 pm 
FFIMer

Brian Foley...our own version of John Gierach...amazing!

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 7:20 am 
FFIMer

Brian fantastic story. I'm in total awe, your the man !!!!

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 7:59 am 
FFIMer

Incredible Brian.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 7:59 am 
FFIM-aholic

What an amazing adventure & thanks for sharing (as always)!

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 10:25 am 
FFIMer

Impressed by the ways you have improvised, while you were deep in the "wilds," like the broken fly rod in the past and the broken kayak paddle this year...such a pristine wilderness, such awesome brook trout, and such an exciting trip report...thank you, for sharing this, with all of us!

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 1:34 pm 
FFIMer

Wow Brian, great trip and excellent squaretails. However, I will say that I have heard that there are these things called "float planes," and I understand they can even transport a kayak. :D

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 3:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

Brian,
Great report as always. I'm jealous in the fact that last year we missed out and that this year I wasn't able to share with you. I enjoyed getting your updates every night and being able to track your progress. Even worried the couple of nights you missed an update.
Great seeing photos of tremendous fish from an area that working for your reward is as complimentary as the fishing is.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 8:13 am 

Thanks Guys!

TGIF: I did come very close to texting my wife that the weather had me pinned down for an extra day...I'm still very taken with all your European adventures this year - some time I'd enjoy sitting down with you over a few beers (or cognacs) and quizzing you on them.

Igloo Lake: I've never done much lake fishing for brookies, particularly in the north country - could you provide me with any insight on brookie behavior in the lakes up there? Do they typically stay offshore/in deeper water during the day and move into shallow/near shore water for the evening and early AM? If bugs are available, will they feed actively at dusk? The only place on that lake I caught any fish was off that dock - when I paddled up & down the shore line in the same area I got nothing! I noticed considerable surface activity near the mouth of the lake at dusk but never was able to confirm anything. I actually found another abandoned camp on another lake on my way out - I fished in front of that one but got nothing, but that was in the middle of the day...? I've heard several stories of guys at caribou camps tossing out caribou scraps to waiting brookies - I have to wonder if the brookies at the first camp weren't conditioned somehow? Ideas?

Also - one gear standout I forgot to mention was my DeLorme (Garmin) inReach satellite communicator - it allows 2 way text & email communication to and from anywhere on the planet and doesn't require any local carrier involvement - the plans are pretty reasonable too.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 10:05 am 
FFIM Addict

Great trip report Brian.

The fishing on your Canadian adventure sounds way more successful than my Atlantic salmon trip during the same time frame (heat = warm water, few active fish). Despite a few thousand salmon holding in the pool in front of camp, I only managed a smallish grilse my first night in camp- which turned out to be high rod for most of the week among my fishing companions. But I did see a 29.5 lb hen caught by a fellow lodge guest before the fishing shut down. Spectacular fish- and the fellow let his 11 year old son play and land it.

And the fishing was way better on either of our Canadian fishing adventures than it was on my Cuban flats adventure earlier this year (during which, I never actually made it onto the water due to some local politics). Bay of Pigs was fun though, and there's a nice private snorkeling reserve about 10 kilometers east of Bay of Pigs that was worth the $15 entry fee (inclusive of an all you can eat buffet and drinks). That venue had an unbelievable amount of fish swimming around.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 6:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

It was a good summer in Europe.... I drink enough cognac, so when our paths cross, I hope it is over something hoppy.

I am in Berlin at the moment... conclusion... I really don't like green bottle beer.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 7:29 pm 
FFIMer

Brian during the day if there was a hatch they would be on the feed. If no rises trolling was the name of the game. Much the same as Maine. We hit the Green Drake hatches frequently and the feed was crazy. They would hatch during the day, but really picked up at night. At night cruising the lake with a cold beer looking for rises was my favorite. Big dries were the rule, for the most part.

I found that the fish would hang by islands or shoals. Never found the time of day to matter. The bottom is usually big boulders and they used them for cover. Coves also proved to hold fish for some reason.

I went back to a place I haven't been for several years this summer and the pike were everywhere. Usually you would go to certain areas for pike (which I had no interest in). A smaller lake we hiked to provided some decent action. Nothing like previous years. Thank god for beer.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 9:45 am 
FFIM-aholic

Sounds like they act like the char I was after this summer. There needs to be some reason for them to move up to a fishable depth and into the shore. Otherwise, I am sure there is plenty of feed at the bottom of a 200' lake.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 2:01 pm 
FFIMer

And to think the few times I've paddled in to where the EO dumps into Indian Pond I've thought I should pack a tent and do an overnight, only to convince myself, nah, too much work. You've got some stones! Awesome report. My favorite was you describing how you own all the land the daylight touches, that sums it up.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 5:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Splitshot,

Quote:
"My favorite was you describing how you own all the land the daylight touches, that sums it up."

Until you've been on a high vantage spot in "The Big Land" in Labrador it is hard to totally absorb that statement. The views are simply awe inspiring.

Ron

Sir John Buchan