FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 21st, 2017, 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 8:28 pm 
FFIMer

I just picked up an 11 foot 7wt switch rod, screaming good deal that I couldn't pass up. Lawn casted it tonight and it's an absolute cannon. I cant wait to chuck some streamers this fall with it. I'm going to need a line for it, what do you guys use? I just threw my 8wt intermediate line on it to feel it out.

Peter

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 5:20 am 
FFIM-aholic

I picked up an 11' 5wt this summer. I got the Rio Scandi short head versi tip system and connect core running line- it is fantastic, expensive, but fantastic.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 12:51 pm 
FFIMer

Try the OPST lines. You can call or email for a recommendation on the right size. I purchased the line and running line with the heads to single spey my 8 weight...in believably good and I still suck at it...super good people running that outfit. You can purchase direct or through a shop like headhunters

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The OPST heads are very cool as well. I went with the rio set up on a friend's recommendation.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 5:42 pm 
FFIMer

Peter,

What rod did you buy? I have an 11 ft. TFO Deer Creek 7 wt. It's rigged with a line that was custom made by Steve Godshall (Pacific Northwest spey expert). Though this rod has a moderate action, it too is a cannon.

Rick

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 9:55 pm 
FFIMer

I will check out those options, Thanks. The reason the rod was such a deal is it it missing the grip for the second hand, it only has the fighting butt, I need to find where I can order a replacement grip with the correct thread pattern, it's a LLB Silver Ghost. So I'm currently only able to use it as a single handed rod, and so far my Airflow 8wt intermediate fit's that rod pretty well. I am, however, most excited to use this as a spey rod in a few particular places. I'm quite fond of Rio lines, but I've seen the prices of Scandi... it is certainly pricey.

Peter

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 8:06 am 
FFIMer

I have an 11' 5 weight Redington Dually. This rod has been discontinued by Redington and is NOT as stiff as most switch rods currently in production.

One of the main reasons I bought it was to dredge streamers deep (20'+) in ponds from a canoe for brook trout when they aren't rising. To do that, I mount my 8 weight sinking line that I normally use in saltwater for stripers. I can't use spey casting techniques with that line, but I can throw it farther that I could a 5 weight full sink line, and the 8 weight line KEEPS the fly deep much longer than a 5 weight line would stay deep. Hello brookies.

The other reason I bought the rod was to be able to get distance without a long backcast on -say- the West Branch. For that, I use a 5 weight Rio Switch Chucker line. Here are the specs:
Line Size -Color -Head Weight -Head Length -Sink Rate -Total Length
#5 -Green / Gray -370 -25ft / 8.2m -Float -100ft / 30.5m
I fish it with a floating tip and it does what I hoped that it would. It's supposed to be the switch line that does everything. I've also tried it for nymphing and was able to nymph out to a little greater distances than conventional gear, but did not think that using it was worth the effort required.

I didn't want to be another one of those guys who own switch and/or spey rods that they haven't used in years. So many lines now cost more than fly rods I fished for many years so I took my time before buying. I was completely unfamiliar with spey/switch lines/tips going in, and was initially quite confused (Scandie, Skagit, MOW - WTF?) as to what to buy. After I had learned the spey line terminology, I went back to Redington and exchanged some e-mails with their pro-staff before deciding on what lines I'd need to do what I wanted to do. They said to go two to three weights above for non-spey/switch lines, and that works well for this rod.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2017, 6:18 pm 
FFIMer

I fished it yesterday for the first time, with my WF8F line, it cast quite well and effortlessly threw 70 feet on line all day. I think the two 8 wt lines I have will work just fine with it as a single handed rod, I'll have to look into those lines for two handed applications.

Peter

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 10:09 am 
FFIM Addict

Peter-

You shouldn't need anything more than the fighting but to spey cast with your switch rod. Save your sheckles. Once you learn the basics of spey casting- you'll likely find yourself using some of the various casts with single handed gear.

If you haven't looked at the line grain charts published by Rio and Airflo, I recommend looking them up to see what grain weight is recommended for your rod. A few grains (including leader, fly, etc...) make a big difference with spey casting (unlike single handed casting). See how your 8 wt lines compare weight-wise. You may need to find a scale to weigh off the front end of your line for comparison purposes.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 1:38 pm 
FFIMer

Hunter,
Thanks, I'll check those charts out. I have had a couple spey casting lessons over the years, and have always done some two handed cast with my regular 9 foot rods. I won a casting lesson with Tod Towel at a Conclave...probably 4 or 5 years ago now, invaluable information if you ask me. There's been plenty of times where my back cast was nil... and those spry casts came up from the depths of my memory to allow me to get enough distance to catch fish.

Peter

PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 11:08 am 
FFIMer

I'm also using the Rio Scandi Short Versitip. I'll add my support for that one. It took me a while to make peace with it but its a great set up once you have it figured out. I'm using it on an 11'6" 5wt.

http://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/15440-m1/cms/fi ... 0d637500c6

If that hasn't appeared way up the thread.