FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3.5 days to go
PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 8:29 pm 

Not that I'm counting or anything. At 6:10 am I'll get on a plane in Portland and should be on the ground in Bozeman by noon. Groceries and a drive south to Gardiner and across the park, and I should have landed my first trout by late afternoon on our way to our rental in Cooke City. Then 8 days of trout, wildlife and backcountry hikes.

Ken B--see you on the 7th!

Post subject: Re: 3.5 days to go
PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 5:36 am 
FFIMer

The forecast looks awesome... Enjoy!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 12:37 pm 
FFIMer

I hate you :?

Have a great time! Take pics!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 12:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Have a blast. Stop in and see my boy and tell him his old man says "Hi".

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 1:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

titleguy wrote:
Have a blast. Stop in and see my boy and tell him his old man says "Hi".

And make sure he's studying (*or use that to leverage a good fishing hole).

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 2:00 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Looking forward to it Jeff! We'll do our best to have some cold. Ever with us when we meet you! May go try the Lewis that morning. Anyone ever fish the channel in September?

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 3:11 pm 

Ken, from what I hear, we are a little early for the Lewis. We were about 10 days later last year and folks were just starting to see fish down there.

Similar for run-up fish on the Madison--I got one biggish brown last year on the Gibbon just above where the confluence with the Firehole forms the Madison, but fishing there was pretty slow. Firehole was warm and all I could find were small fry.

If you want a real adventure, head down south and hike in to the Bechler. I hear great things from a TU colleague who is in NH now, but used to work on the Henry's Fork. That's where he went on his days off.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 7:44 pm 
FFIMer

you are early for the Madison run but check with Montana Troutstalkers in Ennis...Joe Dilschneider has been guiding me for 15 years & has a bead on that Madison run...stay below the 287 bridge at this point, the Yellowstone shops are iffy on solid info IMO. The Firehole is usually pretty good right now....I always spend a day or two on it...its too weird to pass up

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 6:19 am 
FFIM-aholic

Safe travels!

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 9:56 am 
FFIM Addict

The Bechler is on the list. I hear the area is full of bears. I'm prone to bear encounters. Not sure I want to hike in there without bringings someone else that's bigger and slower than I am. :lol:

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 8:37 pm 

1.5 days to go.

Just downloaded all the topo map data for Yellowstone, Grand Teton and the Beartooth Wilderness into my GPS, and have been looking at hiking routes.

Pebble Creek Meadow is on the list for the hike. Fishing up there sounds iffy--there are trout, but some reports say they are all small, while others there are a few meadow sections that grow bigger fish. But great scenery in a wide open valley with more bears than people.

It's only about 2 miles in there, but the first mile climbs 1100 feet over a pass. Wish me and my fat ass luck.

That trip may help prepare me for the day with Ken (I like to bike 100 miles a day) B to the meadows on Slough.

Also looking at hikes in to the Upper Lamar and Cache Creek, and maybe down over the Yellowstone to Hellroaring. That's another 1000 foot climb, but the uphill on that one is on the way back to the trailhead from the river.

Dee Dee is worried about bears. I'm thinking heart attack and oxygen deprivation.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 8:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

The hike into Cache creek is pretty easy. I like fishing down to the confluence, but be bear smart. That area is always high on bear activity.

Hellroaring is one stream I want to see. The trail books make it seem like it's a steep 1100 feet though. Slow and steady and bring plenty of water.

Good luck.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 9:08 pm 

Holy crap, do I have a lot of fly boxes. I'm sorting through them. The chest pack I've been fishing out of all summer (mostly ponds, but some streams, too) has five reasonably well organized boxes with the assortment of stuff I like for here. I just pulled out a gear bag that has another 14 boxes (only the trout flies, mind you, as the striper and shad flies are in a different bag, and a third small bag has snook/redfish/bonefish boxes). I figure I can maybe boil it all down to 8 or 10 boxes I'll take on the trip.

And then I realized that my last two weeks of tying have filled another 3 fresh boxes--I'm just screwed. I'll be organizing flies for 8 hours tomorrow.

For now--off to tie. After poking through 22 boxes of flies, I just decided I need some more big mayfly emergers and cripples in case I hit the "Drake Mackerel" hatch we saw last year (and for which a #12 Royal Coachman, of which I probably have a dozen and a half, worked just fine), and some smaller ants than I fish here in Maine, and maybe some big buggers, and a few beetles and . . . .

Did I mention I also am planning to take the "pared down" tying kit--you know, just in case. :lol:

Oh, and I just found where I stashed all my steel shotgun shells after duck season last year. Of course--they went in the bottom of the bag with my saltwater flies! Three duck calls in there, too.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 9:13 pm 

Hunter wrote:
The hike into Cache creek is pretty easy. I like fishing down to the confluence, but be bear smart. That area is always high on bear activity.

Hellroaring is one stream I want to see. The trail books make it seem like it's a steep 1100 feet though. Slow and steady and bring plenty of water.

Good luck.

Yup. Looks like there is a nice meadow from where the trail crosses Cache down to the confluence.

Dee Dee wanted to hire a wildlife guide, so we're spending Tuesday with one. I've been following his blog, and most of the spots I just mentioned are places he glasses from the road for wolves and bears. Sounds like we're about 10 days too late for the bison rut, but elk are starting to get randy.

Too late for me to get an antelope tag? I could pack a 30-06 and a box of ammo. I'm already bringing everything else, and I think the season is open now.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 8:31 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff and Ken, Cache, Pebble, Hellroaring and Tower Creeks all come HIGHLY recommended from me. ESPECIALLY if you want solitude, secenry and beautiful cuttthroat!!!