FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 24th, 2017, 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave M how does it feel?
PostPosted: August 27th, 2017, 11:04 pm 
FFIMer

After so many continuous, dedicated years, you won't be in your classroom, for the beginning of school, tomorrow :)

PostPosted: August 28th, 2017, 7:44 am 
FFIM Addict

Hi Wood.......

This will be school year #2 of retirement. It still feels strange. My wife is busy getting her room ready for the kids, I go fishing at the East Outlet.

I really miss the kids ( I just had super kids); I miss the physical act of teaching ( I absolutely loved being at the front of a classroom and lecturing); but I really don't miss the bull#### and politics that education has become. I miss my friends at LMS. We had a great staff there. Really dedicated teachers and Techs. I still go south several times a year to catch football and hockey games to see my former students.

I DO, however, love the fact that I get to fish my beloved tiny Olive hatch all fall. I'm scheduled to spend a week in October on the EO. Never had the ability to that when I was working. Forty years in the classroom was enough, though. I really do feel that I've payed my dues and have earned retirement.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 9:17 pm 
FFIMer

As a 36 year teaching veteran I know how you feel Dave as far as enjoying the pure teaching but not the other stuff. I couldn't get myself excited about starting the school year but things all fell into place when the students arrived today. However I might be seeing you on the EO next October.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 10:30 pm 
FFIMer

Reading this thread I feel like I'm in the educational twilight zone. Are you guys sure you worked in the same profession as me? Perhaps you hit your heads on the black board a few too many times. I refused to do the posturing dance when I was teaching. I'm sure as hell not going to do it now. Interestingly enough, the people I worked with who worked hardest on promoting their image were also the ones who couldn't teach a dog to scratch it's butt. Playing the "everything is wonderful" game keeps the problems facing public education from getting the attention needed to deal with them. It's much easier to pretend they don't exist. Those who dare to speak up are branded as having a bad attitude. Now that's the profession I know and love. Wait a minute and I'll tell you how I really feel.
Why don't we stick to talking about fishing. The one thing I really liked about teaching was the time it gave me to go fishing. There, I said something positive about public education!

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 7:22 am 
FFIM Addict

Uhhh, Tom?

You did read how both of us said we didn't miss the bull#### and politics that public education has become?

I'll never apologize for loving teaching......because I did.

I'll never apologize for really liking my kids.......because I really did.

We really did have a super staff.......with almost 100 teachers and techs. We're all of those 100 super? Of course not. But truthfully MOST of them have the kids as their #1 priority.

We've spoken of this before, and I'm well aware that your experience in education didn't mirror mine......and for that I'm truly sorry.

If the politicians in Augusta and Washington would get the hell out of public education and actually LISTEN to the teachers in the classroom education would be much better.

People think that they know about education because they went to school themselves. Most of them don't know #### about what really happens in schools.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 8:23 am 
FFIMer

Ya Dave, you're right. To the old saying "Avoid discussions on politics and religion" I would like to add "public education" to that list. After all teaching did allow me to fish an awful lot. But to me it was just a job not my identity. I could have quit at any time and I did not. The good did out weigh the bad. You must admit in that profession the posturing and BS is as thick as maple syrup.
Now back to fishing. Strange summer. For the entire summer I have had success with streamer flies. Go figure.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 12:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dave-
day #2 for me here at LHS, and I agree with Riverfish...I struggled more this year than any year in the past. I think it may be somewhat because Parker is heading to Montana in 4 days...and I can't go. But, I really did have a good time today with the scared Freshmen as they came to the BIG school! Lots of new sneakers and black sweatshirts. On the other hand, I had to do a 7 page "self assessment" (along with a 7 page rubric) today/we have to re-accredit this year, and we must institute Standards based grades that are a walking abortion---and my Sp.Ed. kids have NO chance of meeting these standards--nor has the State taken any interest in answering this issue...

Funny what Hatch said... I have seen 200 teachers go through this building in my 34 years...and some hated teaching....some lived with it because it was a steady check...some are early each day and smile all day long most days...To show the extremes-- We had a fabulous teacher retire last year (and I miss him) who was 72 years old- and he taught 46 years...and we had a new hire quit on day 3...just couldn't face a class. Both made the right choice.

So did I, and so did you.

Hutch

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 3:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hutch wrote:
Dave-
. On the other hand, I had to do a 7 page "self assessment" (along with a 7 page rubric) today/we have to re-accredit this year, and we must institute Standards based grades that are a walking abortion---and my Sp.Ed. kids have NO chance of meeting these standards--nor has the State taken any interest in answering this issue

So did I, and so did you.

Hutch

Hutch.......

A walking abortion is absolutely correct on Standards Based grading.......what we in the Lewiston system called PBL.....Profissincy(not spelled correctly) Based Learning. That's exactly why I'm sitting on the couch in my living room, and not back in my classroom. I was able to walk away from that abortion......most of my friends didn't make the famous "cliff" in MainePers......and so are stuck until they're 62 years old. I had three to even five good years of teaching left in me......and PBL forced me to walk away. 80 to 85% of the teachers I spoke with my last year HATED PBL, but are forced by economic circumstances to stay and deal with that abortion of a system. That's the #### that drove me out of my classroom......not the kids......not the parents........

I'd go back to the classroom in a heart beat if I could teach the way I want to teach......even though I love the freedom of retirement. Fishing all fall certainly does have its advantages. You'll find that out in a couple of years. ;-)

Dave M

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 5:20 pm 
FFIMer

Can we get back to fishing. You guys are making me tear up. :roll:

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 11:07 am 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
Hi Wood.......
This will be school year #2 of retirement.
Dave M

Sorry, Dave, I was thinking this was your first year being retired..."time does fly by." On the subject of education, I am fortunate, because I loved teaching in a small high school, that has always had fantastic students and a dedicated faculty; that is, I loved teaching there, (for 42 years), until we joined an RSU and adopted the Standards Based Curriculum. So, I retired, but my wife is still in education; and technically, I'm still part of the faculty, because we coach an academic team together, which is way more fun than it is work. I don't know about the rest of you; but it did not take me long to adapt to retirement: more fishing, more hunting, more skiing, more freedoms, and etc. Sometimes, I do substitute teach, in my discipline, because I do not have to go in early, stay late, correct papers, do assessments, go to teacher meetings, or get involved in educational politics, but it is still enjoyable to interact with the students. Plus, even just one day of substitute teaching, really does buy a lot of fly tying supplies, shotgun shells, or gas. By the way, you retirees, in case you may have forgotten...goose season starts tomorrow!

PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 9:13 pm 
FFIMer

As a person with 17 years left before I hit the 62 year "magic mark" I am back in the groove after day 2.

I love teaching in my classroom and the subject matter I teach.( US history and Geography).

I really enjoy the vast majority of the students I teach or have taught. many of them are still in contact with me on and off over the years.

I still coach. love the football players and the game.

I still bring my passions in to the classroom. I teach fly tying and flycasting in the after school program when I can. I have a whole crew of kids who bring in their fishing pictures from the summer. We brought our whole school in four separate trips to see the alewife run at Weber pond, the Sebasticook and the Kennebec a few years ago, and will do the same again this spring.

I also love the schedule of teaching ( not going to lie about that one). I have fished and still fish often in the summer,( a little less fly fishing with two young children, instead flies have been replaced by worms, Rapalas, and sabiki rigs).

That all being said "Hatch" is right about the "BS".

Its everywhere in education. Always a new agenda. Someone trying to make a name for themselves and play the game. I work with great teachers on my team and have a very supportive admin. but the endless chain of new agendas, laws, "great ideas" or the next great thing that is going to change education is wearing thin on many teachers. I cant tell you the number of retired teachers who enjoyed the students and the act of teaching, but felt overwhelmed by the endless " new agendas" that are always coming down the pike.

I have yet to meet one teacher who also didnt like having the summer off though especially the fishermen!!!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 11:36 am 
FFIMer

In one public school building I am familiar with, over a six year period, five staff members were falsely accused of one form of physical assault or another by students seeking revenge for disciplinary taken against them by the staff member. All staff members were vindicated but the two weeks that it took to do that put some dedicated, hardworking people through a living hell. Of course as a teacher you can avoid this threat by looking the other way rather than addressing student behavior issues. Some of the teachers I knew who did this were the first to tell you what wonderful teachers they were and what a joy teaching was.
If you teach, be smart and watch your back at all times. In this day and age this type of accusation is in the student play book and some will use it. The only thing you have going for you is most students who will do this don't know how to do it correctly and during the investigation will get tripped up.
There aren't many professions where you get to face this threat every day. It was probably the teachers fault anyway wasn't it? You're such an excellent teacher it couldn't possibly happen to you. Guess again sweetheart.
Don't get me started. I could write a book.
Oh, as an added bonus any accusation of this type, whether you are found innocent or not, will go into your personnel file and remain there for the rest of your career.
If all you can talk about is how wonderful teaching is and how lucky you are, it's no wonder teachers are among the lowest paid professionals. Doesn't this posturing weaken your bargaining at negotiation time? Why pay you more when you create the impression that you'll work for free. After all its such a joy.
School teaching is just a job. It has it's positives and negatives. If we fail to acknowledge the negatives they will never be corrected. It's just another form of looking the other way. It's the safe thing to do. Let's all just talk about how wonderful teaching is.

The fact hasn't escaped me that in this thread I'm creating the opportunity for those who feel the need to climb on the educational soap box.
One constant in public education is that there has never really been a way to prove ones expertise as a teacher. This leaves the door wide open to create the illusion of expertise through image building and projection for those individuals who feel the need. Have at it gang.

Now back to fishing. My streamer fly summer has been highlighted by using a grey ghost on a floating line and stripping it just as fast as I can. I missed fish doing this but it was the only way they would pay attention.