FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scissors
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 5:30 pm 

I'm a tying binge for an upcoming trip. All of my scissors are worn out and dull. I've been tying with a variety of scissors, primarily a "multi pack" of 4 pairs of Dr. Slicks that were in my Christmas stocking 10+ years ago. Never had a complaint. All of a sudden not only is trimming deer hair a pain, but I even have trouble snipping thread cleanly. Something must be done.

Can these be sharpened and brought back into form? I can sharpen knives, axes, chisels, lawnmower blades, etc, and I have a variety of sharpening stones in the house, but have no idea how to sharpen scissors.

Or can I bring them to someone to sharpen? My mother used to do that with her sewing scissors.

If not--what do you like to tie with? I'm in the market. (And Terry Walsh--what's on sale?)

Post subject: Re: Scissors
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 6:39 pm 
FFIMer

Anvil ice with adjustable loops.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 7:31 pm 
FFIM Addict

Dr. Slick Razors

Dave M

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 4:26 am 
FFIM-aholic

I like the anvils... especially the small ones, because I tie with my scissors in my hand. I'm 6 years in on the pair i have.

Don Bastien showed me how to sharpen them with a hook hone, you could use a stone too (on the sharp side). But i think with a stone you run the risk of spreading them, so be careful.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 1:45 pm 

Picked up a pair of standard Wapsi Anvils and a pair of MFC serrated last night at Beans. They seemed the best of what was on the rack and will get me through the tying crunch from now to my trip. These anvils are not adjustable and the loops are a little small for my fat fingers. The MFC's are really comfortable.

Those Dr. Slicks Dave recommends look great. I haven't had a complaint in the decade or more I've been using my existing 4 pairs of Dr. Slicks. Not too expensive either. Got to get my hands on a pair to see if I like them.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 2:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I have nothing against dr. Slicks, except my pair are too long which makes them hard to keep on my hand while tying.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 4:36 pm 

TGIF wrote:
I have nothing against dr. Slicks, except my pair are too long which makes them hard to keep on my hand while tying.

I'm not coordinated enough for that anyway. :(

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
TGIF wrote:

I'm not coordinated enough for that anyway. :(

Guys......

I have three pairs of those Razors. For in hand tying the four inch ones are just fine......I reserve the bigger five inch version for deer hair, foam, and other hard to cut stuff......and those really are too long to keep in the hand. fWIW....

Dave M

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 5:12 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff, if you have a steel for honing your knives, try that.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 5:21 pm 
FFIMer

I prefer the Anvils because I tie scissors in hand as well. I put a bend in the thumb loop off center about 3/8" of an inch. Fits comfortably and allows the scissors to lay flat to the shank without having to constantly twist your wrist. As a side, the new generation Anvils have a thicker blade width then ones in the past. Not an improvement in my opinion.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2017, 8:54 am 
FFIMer

Look up sharping with aluminum foil. You fold the foil and cut through. Plain blades only, not for serrated as I recall. I tried it years ago and thought it helped.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm 
FFIMer

for all the trouble you go through to sharpen them...I'd most likely just buy another pair. The Dr. Slicks are nice but I don't like the razors...they don't hold an edge as well as the regular all purpose scissors. Without a doubt I would recommend the Tiemco all purpose with those blue finger loops. Better steel than the slicks and seem to hold up really well. The new loon scissors look like they are worth a try too...probably the same as the slicks (Paki steel which is ok for this purpose but not as good as the Jap steel). The Anvils are nice but the tips are way too fat for small flies so I just cut lead and wire with them now.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2017, 4:31 pm 

I'm liking the MFC's I got. The Anvils are awful--I don't really care about the tips, though they are really big, but the finger holes are NOT adjustable and are too small and awkwardly located. I feel like I'm trying to cut with scissors sized for little kid hands.

Does anyone with tiny little hands want a pair of new, sharp scissors? Seriously, if these fit, I think they'd be fine, but they sure don't.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 6:19 pm 
FFIMer

I tried checking them out at Beans the other night but they are lashed down to the packaging card pretty well but the tips look good and appear well finished. MFC has some good tying materials too-they are a good outfit that came on strong out West in the past few years. The Anvils could be really good if they paid better attention to the tips and the finger holes. The quality of the steel looks good but I use them to cut wire and stuff like that now...they are just too clubby. I have a pair of old Thompson ICE scissors which I believe ultimately became the anvils...they are still cutting great and have super fine tips and adjustable finger loops. They have to be 25 years old or more...I use them sparingly but they are still sharp-I made it a point to inherit my dad's pair as well...so I have two pair. I am a bit of a scissor/tool junkie - I tied for Hunters and Orvis back in the late 80's early 90's and acquired my fussiness with scissors and tools from Bill Hunter who was the ultimate fly tying tool snob(in a good way). If I were to point someone to a pair of scissors for overall use I'd look at those Tiemcos-some call the deer hair scissors but they are just good all around scissors and hold up for a long time.
http://shop.charliesflybox.com/Tiemco-S ... iemco8.htm

Second choice might be the MFC's or the Slick all-purpose

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 5:54 am 
FFIMer

+1 on Anvil. It is available in different styles.