FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Casting lesson tips
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 6:16 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I volunteered some time in September to give 3 women who have never fly fished a casting/fishing lesson. I've been fly fishing a long time and know I have developed bad habits when it comes to casting but it works for me. Any tips to teach someone brand new? I want them to enjoy the few hours and hopefully develop a love for the past time.

Ken

Last edited by Ken B on August 23rd, 2017, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Casting lesson tips
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 6:51 am 
FFIM-aholic

Nice pickup line Casanova.... :wink:

Having taught a few folks recently; the one thing that really helped was Before getting on the water, letting them practice side arm, parallel to the ground, followed by having them look over their shoulder at their back cast.... once they saw and felt the line extend before starting their forward cast improved their timing quickly.

Then they can go overhand, while trying to keep a newspaper tucked between their elbow and body helps with their form, to get the right muscles working. .

Make them all wear sunglasses when the hooks come out... prevents risk especially if there is wind.

Once on the water, putting them in a place where they can water haul to load the rod helps too, until they get a feel for it.

Thats what I've got, good luck.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 9:13 am 
FFIMer

Soft rods help newbies with the feel of loading a rod...

Jeff

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 9:24 am 
FFIMer

X2 on having them look over their shoulder.. this is what made fly casting click for me when I was first starting out. I still remember that moment when I was looking backwards and felt the rod load, then I cast forward and the line went more then 20 feet. Everything made sense then, wait to feel it before changing directions.

Peter

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 5:36 pm 

Hook up with the annual "Training the Trainer" casting event that the instructors at LL Bean do for TU volunteers with the Trout Camp and similar. I haven't been able to attend, but everyone who has raves about it improving both their own casting and their teaching. Beans may do this for other groups, too.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 7:57 am 
FFIMer

For the beginner, make the casting distance goal 15 or 20 feet. Nothing screws up the beginner (and expert) like thinking they have to cast a mile to be successful.