FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mutations
PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 11:20 am 
FFIM Addict

Here are photos of two different fish caught same day same pool. One is definitely hatchery stock. The other probably stream born or at least multi-year holdover.

Attachment:
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2424.jpg [ 15.46 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg [ 14.79 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2428.jpg
IMG_2428.jpg [ 13.7 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Sir John Buchan

Post subject: Re: Mutations
PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 3:40 pm 
FFIM-aholic

There are some trout in Corsica that are called "macrostigma truita", which are wild fish with some funky markings. Here is a link, but google it. As cool as it would be toncatch one, it looks to me like one of the horrific pictures in a high school biology book.

http://www.resimsitesi.com/baliklar/dag-alasi/arama

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 8:48 pm 
FFIMer

At least those have gill plates. I have pictures of the Big League Chew trout I caught that was a hatchery product. No gill plate and bright pink gill filaments exposed.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 6:26 am 
FFIMer

Love the spots on those fish, I have caught a few interesting looking trout over the years..
Here is a picture of a Humpbacked Brown I caught last November, thought he was pretty cool 8)
He was almost as wide as he was long

Attachments:
PB210012.JPG
PB210012.JPG [ 169.42 KiB | Viewed 364 times ]

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 10:57 am 

I used to catch some really odd-looking browns at a certain mid-coast stream where some of them might have leaked out of the hatchery. Some were truly bizarre. One I remember was about 14" long. It looked like Dr. Frankenstein had grafted the head and tail of a 10" trout onto the body of a fish of about 18".

I also remember a wild brook trout from a stream in PA. The stream I was fishing had a population of wild brookies and browns, but several tribs were severely impacted by acid mine drainage from old coal mines. This fish had gnarly lumpy hump back between the gillplates and the dorsal fin, but otherwise looked like a perfectly normal 8" wild brookie. It was from a pool where one of the AMD-affected tribs dumped in.