FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seriously......
PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 10:13 am 
FFIM Addict

......is it too much to ask that when you pay premium prices for stuff that you get premium performance out of them?

I think I've spent more time at the UPS shipping return store than I have fishing lately.

You've all heard about the reels incidents from our last Western trip.

The latest fiasco is with my large wheeled duffel from Fishpond. I love Fishpond stuff.....and I have a lot of it. Most of the time it flat-out works.

On my return from Jamicia this week I noticed that the skid plate had fallen off the top of the bag......and the bag was separating from the wheeled assembly. WTH??

Now I'm well aware that I'm getting old.....and somewhat crotchety
, but come on, man!

Doesn't anything just #}^%#*! Work anymore? I bet I haven't taken a dozen trips with that bag. It's not like I'm on the 7 am shuttle to Chicago every Tuesday morning and I'd have 200 trips on that bag.

I called Fishpond and they authorized me to ship it back. They'll either fix it or replace it. Yeah....ok...fine. I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to do that. An almost $400 bag should just freaking work the first time. Is this too much to ask? Am I being unreasonable?

It's bad when I walk into the UPS store and the little high school girl behind the counter greets me with....."Hi Mr. Martel, what are we shipping back for you today"? They know my name?? WTH?

Abel reels.....Seiko watch.......Fishpond bag.....what the heck is next? Seriously.......it's not like I was using a $9.95 bag from Wally World. I wouldn't expect much from that......but I do expect premium performance if I'm going to pay premium prices.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Seriously......
PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 10:30 am 
FFIM Addict

Sorry about the bag...but it does bring the idea to me that expensive is not always worth the cost. You note that your bag is not a -$10 bag...but I DO have a House of Reny's bag which DID cost about $20...and I have used it for +50 trips to Montana/Canada/Greenville/ camp....sometime INexpensive is actually better-OR, lucky.

With that said...I lean toward buying the best quality I can afford because MOST of the time, better is better. You may be running a streak of poor products, but in the long run, most of the great stuff we own runs for years and years.

Fishpond does make great stuff.

Hutch

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm 
FFIMer

Just because it's pricey doesn't mean it's good, and just because they say its good doesn't mean it's good. Reminds me of a saying my grand father used to say when I stacked his firewood as a kid. At the end of the day he would ask me how much I got done,"I think about three cords grandpa!"....his reply "buying or selling?"......you played yourself my friend.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm 
FFIM Addict

Oh cry me a river....bob hoo my luggage broke on a trip to Jamaica, what will I do. I know from experience that stuffing it with 11 lbs of ganja on the way home will bust the hinges.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 3:38 pm 
FFIMer

My only experience with Fishpond is a retractor that I bought after losing too many nippers over the years too cheap pin on retractors. No doubt the Fishpond retractor will probably never fall off where it attaches to the vest/waders because of the engineering , but the end where the nippers attach is nothing more than plastic slinky style coils hot glued together, rendering the entire setup pointless unless your goal is to lose nippers but keep the now useless retractor. All that glitters is not gold. No doubt there is a difference between cheap and well made, but just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good.

It will always baffle me why someone would spend $300 on a cooler to keep a $1.99 bag of ice cold....

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 4:13 pm 
FFIMer

And that, Dave, is exactly the reason why I often shop at Bean's; they have never refused to take anything back that did not work properly, and going to Bean's is always a lot more fun than going to a local UPS shipping return store...plus, I can usually get the new item or a similar one, right on the spot. Last year, I took back a pump action Remington Rifle, that I had gotten several years before, because no matter what gunsmith I took it to, I could not get the magazine(s) to stop jamming. Bean's immediately gave me the exact amount, I had paid for the gun, without lots of questions, without lots of of paper work, and without any other hassles; and I got the exact same new gun from them again, which does work. If one does shop at Bean's (and certain other outdoor stores), it does help financially, if one is a guide, to join the Maine Professional Guide's Association, for the discounts. Yes, Dave, I do feel your pain; because when we pay a good price, we are always hopeful, that we will receive a quality product!

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 5:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Wood Special wrote:
And that, Dave, is exactly the reason why I often shop at Bean's; they have never refused to take anything back that did not work properly, and going to Bean's is always a lot more fun than going to a local UPS shipping return store...plus, I can usually get the new item or a similar one, right on the spot. !

Wood......

Exactly. One of our guys has a roller duffel from Beans.......has had it for years......and it looks brand new. I probably should have got the initial roller bag from Beans........but I really (usually) like Fishpond things. If this doesn't work out I'll be taking a trip down to Freeport.

Dave M

PostPosted: August 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

I have a Wenzel backpack with external frame I bought at Marden's for $20 in the mid seventies for skiing Tuckerman's. I still use it to fish a certain trout pond on occasion, and all the zippers still work and everything. Last week I went on a 5 day motorcycle tour in Quebec, and I bungeed a cheap duffel on the back of my bike that I got free from a lost & found years and years ago, I've actually forgotten just where or when. When I see $300 duffels (I didn't realize they go for $400 now), I just shake my head, because I can't imagine what it is they offer that my free one doesn't.

I do agree, if you pay the big bucks, you should expect a lifetime of service, really.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 7:01 am 
FFIM-aholic

I'll second the Beans vote. I'm on the road A LOT and can frequently stop into their outlets - there's almost always something I could use on sale. Couple of examples; Simms G4Z's - people see me wearing them and think "what a dope - $700 for waders?" Found them at the outlet, sub $200. Zipper developed a leak and actually sent them back to Simms. Told customer service that I wasn't looking for a new pair and that they could actually silicone the zipper shut - I don't use it much. They sent a new pair. I'm still a dope.... Rocky Mountain mountain bike - got it for about 1/2 price of retail. Son raced it for 2 seasons after I had ridden it 2 years. Frame breaks in two where the headpost meets the downtube - this should never happen. Return to Bean - 100% credit - bought a new bike on the spot. There's always a deal to be had and the customer service is outstanding.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 10:29 am 
FFIM Addict

I have a Bean wader duffel that I purchased in 2000 for a trip to Alaska. It is basically my FF locker in my car. Only time it gets removed is when I'm hauling something else and then it gets tossed off to the side in the garage. Has clothes, fly boxes reels trinkets, you name it. Always full and usually over full and zippers stretched and under strain. Knock on wood still delivering more than promised. Shoulder strap, no hot wheels set-up.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 20th, 2017, 3:57 pm 
FFIMer

dryflie wrote:
Oh cry me a river....bob hoo my luggage broke on a trip to Jamaica, what will I do. I know from experience that stuffing it with 11 lbs of ganja on the way home will bust the hinges.

Amature move...I'm pushing 15lbs before I worry about them hinges. How are you packing that stuff? pun intend :P

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 8:44 pm 
FFIMer

OK, you guys will never believe this but...

So the other day I set my perpetual motion Rolex Oyster pearl to the EXACT time that I anticipated the hatch to occur, but my perpetual motion Rolex Oyster pearl FAILED! That's it, I'm done! No more relying on cheap crap I can't depend on!!! Ha, just kidding buddy, nothing wrong with having good stuff. :P Not quite the quality it used to be (but what is?) but I've been pretty pleased overall with the stuff I've bought at Beans.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 8:06 am 
FFIM Addict

With outdoor gear, mechanical things like trucks, toys, and people; I expect and accept failure. I don't care what it is or what it costs, it can and will break! In my younger days my expectations were too high allowing disappointment.

That being said I have a fish pond large duffle, no wheels, I've had for 7-8 years that goes on every trip literally thrown in the bed of a pick up truck. It's been flawless.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2017, 3:25 pm 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
I have a Bean wader duffel Shoulder strap, no hot wheels set-up.

Ron

Ron......

Yeah...I hear you on that no wheels set up. I just got sick and tired of schlepping my no-wheels bag(s) through airports. The no wheels is fine for trucks, but if you're going from one terminal to a terminal sometimes a half mile away those wheels are worth their weight in gold. I well remember doing just that coming back from Christmas Island in the Honolulu airport trying desperately to get on the red eye back to LAX. I was schlepping all my gear when the light bulb went on......and my Abel and Simms bags went to the back of the closet. Roller bags are the only way to go.

Dave M