FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sea run beauties
PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 6:37 pm 
FFIMer

Last week I had a week off from work so I went camping and fishing with my buddy Alex on the Trinité river. After almost a month without significant rainfall the water level of the eastern Quebec's river is very low and so was the Trinité. In fact I've never seen that river so low.

We setted up camp at our usual spot.

Despite the low level I was surprise at how cold the water was for this time of year. We got a couple of cold night during the week and we woke up one morning with a cold 38F. The water temp was around 55F in the morning. We fished for sea run brookies a little bit more than we fished for Atlantic salmon. Salmons were'nt active at all due to the low water and we didn't got any on the line. A salmon took my fly one evening and I felt the pull and saw the splash in the water but he didn't hooked himself. Here's a view of the bridge pool were the salmon pulled on my fly. It happened at the head of the pool were there's a little flow.

Sea run brookies fishing was also kind of slow. The fishes were active for 2-3 hours per day in the morning the first few day and it stopped completly the last 3-4 days. During the fist days I got the chance to catch 3 nice brookies ranging from 18 to 20 inches. I caught the 18 inches sea run brookie on a dry fly after matching the hatch with a size 16 elk hair caddis.

I caught it in that pool.

The next day I caught another nice sea run brookie with a blue smelt streamer. I'm always impressed by the fight these sea run brookies pull up!

When I fished the river by myself the weekend before I spotted a nice fish rising to eat spruce budworm butterflies but I could'nt fool it with my elk hair caddis. His spot was a hard one to cast to as it was far and protected by over hanging branches. This time there's wasn't any insect hatching and no fish rising so I tried lure him with a mouse fly. The first time I managed to get the mouse fly in the right spot I only had time to strip it once before I saw a big splash around my fly. I setted the hook but the fish had missed the fly. I casted again to the same spot and this time the fish attacked it and got hooked! The fish pulled up a good fight and a nice bend on my 7 wt TFO rod!

When we managed to net him I was surprised to see it wasn't a sea run brookie but a resident brookie of the river as it wasn't silvery like the sea run ones

That 20 inches trout is my biggest one caught on a mouse fly.

Unfortunately my buddy Alex didn't had any luck with the multipounders trouts. He caught some sea run brookies in the 13-14 inches range and some smaller ones. Still he's gonna come back to fish the Trinité river with me and another of our friend for the last week of the Atlantic salmon fishing season wich ends on september 15th. Until then I'll keep praying for rain and I'll fish it again on the weekends.

Post subject: Re: Sea run beauties
PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 6:17 am 
FFIMer

Sounds like it was a great trip. You sure do have some great waters up there.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 10:56 am 
FFIM Addict

Excellent report. I'm heading to New Brunswick next week to chase Atlantics. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 3:56 pm 
FFIMer

Nice! Beauties indeed!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2017, 7:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm surprised to hear about the low water. We took our Saguenay Fjord motorcycle ride last week and stumbled onto the falls on the Petit-Saguenay River by accident - an awesome surprise! We were impressed with the amount of water coming down so late in the summer, but maybe it was a short lived storm response or something.