FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 20th, 2017, 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 5:14 pm 
FFIM-aholic

50, yes 50, years ago there was this little, mosquito infested pond tucked into the woods in Wells. My friends and I used to fish it and never saw another soul there. It was a trickle of a stream that had an earthen dam and was max - 8' deep. The water was cold and clear and the place was LOADED with natives - a BIG fish there was maybe 12". We fished it for years and it was our honey hole. A while back a tropical storm blew the dam out and the land owners never rebuilt the dam. The hole filled in with trees and other vegetation and the trickle was hardly visible. There are now homes built around where the pond was and every time I drove by it depressed me that "progress" had invaded that little pond. Fast forward to last week, some 40 years since we last fished it. We moved down to York county to get me closer to work and my mom (85 years old - winters are tough). I walked to the store to pick up a few things and walked back into our development. There's a culvert that goes under the road, which is also just upstream from the site of the old pond. I think to myself "That must be the trickle that fed that pond. I wonder....." There's a pool just below the culvert, about the size of 2 bathtubs. Sure enough, about 2 dozen BEAUTIFUL natives, largest maybe 6"! I followed it up stream, some spots there was barely any water at all. If there was a spot that could hold a fish, there was at least a handful of trout, probably the size of your pinky finger. I can pretty much guaranty that nobody knows these fish are there, and I'm not breathing a word - those fish don't deserve a hook in their mouths. I got back to the house like a little kid that just saw Santa, even dragged my wife down to check them out. In the words of Don Lynch, "That's pretty cool!" Hope springs eternal.......

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 7:07 pm 
FFIMer

I need your address.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 7:13 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

RAC,...stick to Boothbay

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 7:34 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Walked back down and dragged some plastic bags out of the pool and rearranged some of the stones above the culvert to get more flow through there. These are going to be the best cared for trout in the state. Hidden in plain sight!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 8:01 pm 
FFIMer

Seriously, great story Craig and two thumbs up for cleaning up the stream. The good and bad of this is that there are still trout in a place that was special to you. There is some good and bad to the fact that nobody knows about it however. What I mean by that is, if there aren't any neighborhood kids on bikes fishing it, will there be any adults fifty years from now moving rocks and cleaning up the garbage to help improve the habitat for the same resource?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 8:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

True but I can't control 50 years from now, I can only control today. I'll do my part now and hopefully somebody picks up the torch down the road. Can't believe it doesn't freeze solid in the winter. There's a creek that flows through the marsh down here - dad an I used to get some pretty nice salters 40+ years ago. That'll hopefully be the next discovery!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
FFIMer

Ken B wrote:
RAC,...stick to Boothbay

"Stay out of Malibu Lebowski!"

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 8:33 pm 
FFIMer

Great story! On all kinds of levels!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 2:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

Cool stuff! I finally land back in France, and now you mention the salters :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 7:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

Cool story, Craig!
Looks like a bunch of us are moving to York county.... loving it here in Dayton! Still can't seem to stay more than an hour from my favorite haunts, though..... :oops: It is nice not having 12 planes flying low overhead every hour!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 10:06 am 
FFIM Addict

Most of the small streams in southern Maine hold native trout, provided they aren't running through the Presumpscot formation clay that abounds in the area. Enjoy the new found homestead. York County will never be the same...

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 4:26 pm 
FFIMer

It amazes me the resiliency of the wild brook trout, enjoyed your story

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 9:36 am 
FFIMer

I think know the area you speak of. If I am correct wait for a good thunderstorm and try some of the slightly bigger waters nearby and you might be quite surprised. Most of the small streams in that area have springs in them that allow for some holdovers during warm drought times. Last summer took its toll on them and this past month has been tough but it is good to hear there are still some fish there.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 11:34 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter wrote:
Most of the small streams in southern Maine hold native trout, provided they aren't running through the Presumpscot formation clay that abounds in the area. Enjoy the new found homestead. York County will never be the same...

Are you insinuating that York County ever WAS THE SAME!?!?

It's really cool that these great, great, great....grandfish of the fish I caught years ago have survived the onslaught. TGIF - salters will be a spring excursion. I am sure that a few stripers can be had there now. Boney - tough to give up those old haunts - will have to plan this fall instead of just jumping in the truck! I will follow this brook downstream further to see what I can find. Hopefully access isn't an issue - stay tuned!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2017, 3:09 pm 
FFIMer

Nothing is ever the same:https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/louise-dickinson-rich-16/we-took-to-the-woods/